Source Filmmaker

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Team Fortress 2
Guys, this is HUGE.

Hidden beneath the massive Meet the Pyro update, this video slipped out introducing what Valve are calling Source Filmmaker. This tool was developed and used for not only all of the "Meet The" videos, but as well as every other cutscene that Valve has created for their various games, in addition to in-game sequences.

Just watch this:

This is a massive paradigm shift. Filmmakers in Hollywood have been trying for YEARS to have a proper real-time animation and graphics pipeline, and it hasn't been until recently that they sort of accomplished this. Valve's been doing this since 2007 like it was no big deal.

The included animation tools are fantastic. Outside of a professional program, they're some of the best I've seen. And the fact that everything can be done and captured in a multiplayer game environment, and THEN tweaked, makes this an end-all be-all solution for machinima.

Asset creation is one of the most difficult barriers for entry when it comes to animation. But think of what Source Filmmaker means to potential artists when it's directly tied to Steam Workshop. There are thousands and thousands of assets to use, with more being created by the day in an endlessly evolving world of resource tied around a central architecture. Valve is changing gaming as we know it with TF2. They've created a massive ecosystem that continuously changes and ties back into itself. The sheer implications of all that they've done is mind boggling.

Five years after TF2's release, and the real fun is just getting started. I can't even wrap my mind around it.

http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/

Comments

• (Fixed the youtube link for you.)

Watching now.
  • Holy. I don't even.

Watching through the intro my jaw was slowly dropping. The idea of being able to record something in game with a bunch of friends, replay it, dive into the 3d world and change it is just amazing.

And then came the meet the medic part. Watching as the scenes were edited was spectacular. And then came the 'I AM BULLETPROOF'. I got chills all over again. The chills lasted until the video ended.

Dear Valve, You've heard this before, but you are great.
    pragtastic
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    So much potential it's scary.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    This is all just mindblowing. Viva la Valve!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    This is seriously one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

This goes so far beyond existing tools for machinima, I can barely find the words to describe it. The possibilities here are almost endless.

The fact that you're not just capturing the resulting 2D output of a game, but actually capturing the entire 3D environment which then allows you to manipulate almost every aspect of it just boggles the mind.

I'm going to have to revisit this reply at a later time, since I'm having trouble finding descriptive phrases in my brain right now.

This is incredible.
    Hollywood will have this one day; 20, maybe 30 years from now, entire films will be created in a 3D world and manipulated fully inside that virtual space. But hey, no big deal, a little video game company from Washington has been doing that since the earlier 21st century.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Seriously, the best gaming company in the world.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Remember that "The Great Dictator" video I posted in the "Official Obscure !@#$ that Makes Us Happy Thread" and in one of the streams? That was made with an earlier version of this as well.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Think of it. We could have a TF2 match played in this system. Record all of it. I could drop it in, light it, set up camera blocking, and make an action film out of our match. This could be done at Expo for the big tourney.

Slow motion kills, dramatic camera angles, close up shots, all telling the individual stories of the game that we individually experience in separate. I can't wait to get my hands on this.
    RyanMM
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Think of it. We could have a TF2 match played in this system. Record all of it. I could drop it in, light it, set up camera blocking, and make an action film out of our match. This could be done at Expo for the big tourney.

Slow motion kills, dramatic camera angles, close up shots, all telling the individual stories of the game that we individually experience in separate. I can't wait to get my hands on this.
    I pictured this with the "lines" from past matches I've participated in.
    An action packed musical montage of Cola and GnomeQueen singing "Still Alive' and more, while fighting comes to mind.

I am literally shivering in anticipation of you doing this, Bobby.
  • Saving Private Ryan.

Redone in TF2.
    pragtastic
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    This explains this tie in....

http://www.adultswim.com/promos/valve/index.html

Also Free Chicken #Hats. SIGN UP FOR THE MAILING LIST BY JULY 4th TO GET YOUR CODE

-Digi
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    ooOoooo!
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    The "Meet The Pyro" video is amazing, sure, but this announcement completely dwarfs it. Source Filmmaker's been known about for a couple of years now, and there used to be a way a few folks were able to get their hands on it to work with. But the fact that they're now working on an official, user-friendly, supported public model for folks to use is amazing. I honestly should have REMEMBERED this was coming- Valve had stated at some point beforehand that they were going to finally work on a release once the last of the "Meet The Team" videos were out, but I -completely- forgot.

On the pony side of things, just wait til those pony models get converted for this. Shit's gonna get awesome.
  • FUUUUCK MY BANDWIDTH CAP EVEN MORE. I'd download this and spend all my time making amazing videos with you guys, but NOOOOOOOOOO my ISP options are TERRIBLE!

Oh well, something to look forward to!
    edited June 2012
    but NOOOOOOOOOO my ISP options are TERRIBLE!
    Mine has been griefing me for the past few months now, I feel your pain.
    http://www.adultswim.com/promos/valve/faq.html

Q. Are you making a Team Fortress cartoon?

A. Go ask your mother.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    And so it begins:

pragtastic
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    And so it begins:

That was amazing.....

• ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian

oh my gosh, I HAVE to get this.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    HOLY CRAP THIS IS AMAZING!
    edited June 2012
    That... this.... those...

Brilliant.

Edti: Can't speak for the wheel barrow vid but the Meet The Family was made with teh leaked 2007 build of Source Film Maker

If you want it, make sure you are logged into steam and request an invite at http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/

-Digi
  • I signed up for it the day meet the pyro came out, and I've been taking lots of captures in hopes that I get an invite. So far, nada.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    So hey, if you guys need proof of what Source Filmmaker can do, most of the work for this piece here was done with the older, not-quite-so-public version of Source Filmmaker last year.

Tell me that doesn't stomp the hell out of Gmod.
    (Also makes me wish that Duane and Brando's partnership hadn't spontaneously combusted...)

EDIT: Appears I'm a bit late.

So in the meantime, have a video of..uh...what ELSE SF is capable of.
    HHNNNNGGGG

I. NEED. THIS.
    Omg I lost it at 19 seconds That scout face is hilarious

-Digi
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    OHMFLBR! Duck on his HED!

Also, this is going to be everything.
    Need this even if I've never made a movie yet.