Reverse Tethering

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Science & Tech
I have an INQ Cloud Touch and was wondering how I go about doing reverse tethering. I don't have a data plan on it but I'd like to use my computer's non-wireless internet for my phone...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You can't, to my knowledge.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    You could (at least in theory) set your computer up as a wifi access point and connect your phone to that. That is provided that you have a wifi card in your computer of course. I doubt you can share your internet connection via USB with your phone unless someone wrote some custom software to do that.
    You could (at least in theory) set your computer up as a wifi access point and connect your phone to that.
    >computer's non-wireless internet

I'm guessing he only has a LAN connection and was wanting to use USB to provide internet to phone. That is not possible to my knowledge. If he buys a wireless card and coordinates appropriate software, your suggestion may be possible but at that rate, he might as well just buy a wireless router.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    I wanted to avoid buying a wireless router as I find wireless internet is far less secure then wired...

I read something once that you could reverse tether a phone via USB if you had root access and a special program? That's basically what I'm trying to figure out if I can do
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I have never seen a phone be able to access the internet through its USB connection. The capability is not there.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    No, reverse tethering is against most provider agreements, as is tethering. If they catch you by monitoring type of flow, they can cut off your phone plan.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I wanted to avoid buying a wireless router as I find wireless internet is far less secure then wired...
    A randomly-generated alphanumeric password for a WPA2 network would take 172 years to break with the world's most powerful supercomputer.
    I'm not tied down to a contract and plan on switching carriers soon anyways...so that doesn't exactly bother me
    As Thrax said, this is a rather silly view that is outdated. Using a randomly generated alphanumeric with WPA2 is reasonably impossible to break. Just set it up right the first time.
    As Thrax said, this is a rather silly view that is outdated. Using a randomly generated alphanumeric with WPA2 is reasonably impossible to break. Just set it up right the first time.
    I suppose your right...

Next question! How can I get root access to my phone?

edited July 2012
    You're lucky I'm at work and LMGTFY doesn't work here.

typing "inq cloud touch root" yielded this result with Z4Root in particular being the answer
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    If you do get a wireless router, make sure you turn of the WPA easy setup option (where you push a button on the router and the device and it magically connects). There's major flaws in that can allow someone to get into your secured network, without anyone pushing the button.