I had an oopsie.

Evelon277Evelon277 Canada
edited July 2012 in Hardware
Okay, this might sound stupid, but here's what happened. I was installing watercooling into my system and when I was taking the CPU heatsink off, it was being stubborn and I really had to pull to get it off. Not sure what was up with that, but anyway, the processor came out with it, which wasn't good on its own, obviously. I looked closely for some bent pins, found a couple and came to the conclusion that they were fixable. So I was trying to figure out how to get the processor off of the heatsink (it was stuck on it), when the person I was working with took it out of my hands and used a flat-head screwdriver to pry it off. This would have been okay if he was more careful, because it flew off the heatsink, hit the metal leg of the table, and bent more pins, and now some broken ones (that I didn't see at first, only half an hour after I was done unbending all the bent pins). So now I need a new processor.

Mobo socket is AM3+, and my old CPU is the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz.

tl;dr; I need a new AM3/AM3+ processor. Suggestions?

Comments

• PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    Lessons learned:

1) Don't let people take things out of your hands.
    2) If you've already pulled the CPU out of its socket, then carefully sliding the CPU off the the heatsink is a lot safer than attempting to pry it off.
    3) Keep said co-worker (or whatever) away from computer parts. ;)

As for suggestions... all of the AM3+ Zambezi chips are pretty cheap. I know that may not sound terribly helpful, but it is true. Granted, the most recent AMD CPU I've purchased was an X6 1090T BE back in December of 2010 so I don't actually have any first hand experience with the Zambezi chips (you may want to double check motherboard/BIOS compatibility).
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    These are your choices, as I see it. There were some issues with certain games having poor performance on Zambezi chips that may have been fixed or may not be an issue with your particular motherboard (I wanna say the issues had to do with chipset compatibility, but I can't find a source)
  • Tushon, do you have any hands-on experience with the Zambezi?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    No, but others here have one. @Cliff_Forster, for one.
  • @Evelon277 - I have been running the FX-6100 - Currently you will find the FX-6200 for around $160. For the price I can't argue with it, it's solid, but as an AMD fanboy it was far from what I hoped it to be. Do you have heavy multi tasking loads or is it mostly for gaming?
  • Do you have heavy multi tasking loads or is it mostly for gaming?
    Mostly for gaming.
    I was thinking of getting this, because in the 8120's reviews, some of the people say they have had bad experiences with them, saying they're just flawed 8150s.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Virtually every CPU that is slower or has less cores than the best model in that family of products is a failed best product. That's how semiconductors work. Rather than being thrown away, they become slower products.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    ^this.

The process is called binning, IIRC. A part is tested at spec A, and if it passes, it's binned as such. If it fails, it's tested at the spec B, and so on to whatever lower limit is set before it gets scrapped.
  • For gaming, I'd say a Phenom II X4 black edition of some kind will be just fine.