Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I know what I'm doing tonight.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Gotta go fast!
  • I just get a "adapter 0 rom not erased" messaged. Running as administrator, maybe I have to change the bios switch on the card to other position first?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I believe so. Sounds like the same issue I had when flashing my HD6950s a while back. Flipping the BIOS switch solved it for me.
  • I received this error:

Adapter 0
    Invalid PC BIOS Imgage
  • Plz. Save your card. Dont do that. Ive a Card without switch and now I dont know what to do. It instaled with successfuly, but now all games have white likes blinking randomly on the screen. Its also happens with some video formats and with browsers while the page is loading and i use mouse It did the overclock, but I fucked all up.
    null said:

Plz. Save your card. Dont do that. Ive a Card without switch and now I dont know what to do. It instaled with successfuly, but now all games have white likes blinking randomly on the screen. Its also happens with some video formats and with browsers while the page is loading and i use mouse It did the overclock, but I fucked all up.

So flash the old BIOS back.
  • Worked fine with my reference Gigabyte card. Running furmark all day and have tested som light gaming to.
  • Thrax:
    I dont have, and XFX wont give and is saying I shouldnt have flashed anything. If you know any site that has, for the love of all gods, please send a link! =/
  • be careful with the asus 7970 the clock speed is ok but the voltage is hight....
  • Does not work, says bios file missing, anyone got the actual bios image so I can manually do this my self?
    null said:

Does not work, says bios file missing, anyone got the actual bios image so I can manually do this my self?

Works just fine. You ran it as administrator, right?

• @Wagner: Get the bios there http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

and flash it with atiflash
  • Flashing the bios doesn`t work at all. And the updater doesn`t work for XFX cards for some reason. If anyone have a workaround plz tell us
  • The first bios is writeprotected,
    you have to boot from the second. this one can be flasehd.
  • there is a switch on the board.
  • if you don´t know the basics, don´t try to flash this highly experimental bios.
    Get msi afterburner or evga precision and overclock your card without flashing your bios. this is much safer and your card could run even faster than any 7970 ghz edition.
    null said:

if you don´t know the basics, don´t try to flash this highly experimental bios.
    Get msi afterburner or evga precision and overclock your card without flashing your bios. this is much safer and your card could run even faster than any 7970 ghz edition.

It's not highly experimental.

• my 7970 runs at 1100mhz chip and 1750 mem on standart vcc.
    ghz 7970 runs at 1000-1050mhz chip and 1500mhz mem.
  • it is highly experimental, as the chips on the 7970 ghz edition has higher asic quality and memory chips are guaranteed to run at 1500mhz.
  • ...have higher asic quality...
    null said:

it is highly experimental, as the chips on the 7970 ghz edition has higher asic quality and memory chips are guaranteed to run at 1500mhz.

Saying that a BIOS is "experimental" suggests that it's a beta, or somehow unqualified for public consumption. Experimental drugs haven't been tested. Experimental vehicles haven't been certified by the NHSTA. These experimental things carry risk of failure, damage, or worse.

We know for a fact that this BIOS is the official 7970 GHz Edition BIOS, and it carries no inherent risks. Flashing the vBIOS cannot and will not brick your board. The worst thing that can happen is that your board isn't up to the task, which you can fix by flipping the BIOS switch back to the stock and write-protected backup BIOS.

• the official bios from a 7970ghz doesn´t work on a standart 7970, as some people already tried to read an 7970ghz bios out and flash it on a non-ghz 7970.
    it didn´t work, because windows couldn´t recognize the card enymore.

The Bios you have here is a leak from amd. It is not official and was not meant to go public.

So it is experimental. and as not approved from amd it is highly experimental.
    If you say so. ;)
    null said:

So it is experimental. and as not approved from amd it is highly experimental.

Where is your proof?
  • always want to have the last word? :)
    So no proof this is an experimental BIOS? Didn't think so.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Oh if you only knew.
  • @ mertesn: show me the link to the amd-page where you can download this bios and where you can get the support for flashing it.

Bios flashes are only approved from the manufactor, if your card doesn´t work right and you ask support for help. then they could offer you a bios as a bugfix.
  • i know