Chrome help

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Internet & Media
Hi.

Firefox has been in my good favors for quite some time, but lately I'm not satisfied. Flash keeps crashing and it's generally starting to act really annoying.
In comes Chrome. Looking good so far, and I'm quite happy with it, however I have a few possibly simple questions.
I tried looking for answers myself, but either I'm phrasing my search query wrong, or I look for the answer in the wrong places.

1. When I use the address bar to do a Google search the search word is repeated three times. I.e if I type "How to get rid of ants*" in the address bar, the Google bar will say: "How to get rid of ants How to get rid of ants How to get rid of ants". It doesn't seem to affect the search results in any way, but it's annoying and confusing, especially if I wish to change a word in the original search words. If i go directly to Google and search from there, it acts normally. How do I make it only write the search words once?

*completely random search term, I do not have ants.

2. Is there a way to do a direct search on Wikipedia or other sites from the address bar, or add a search field, like the one in the upper right corner in FF? I downloaded an extension that's supposed to do this and it works, but I still find it, if not difficult, then at least somewhat annoying to have to open a new tab, enter the extension and then type what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance
Jokke

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Dunno about 1, but 2 is easy to accomplish (and does not require a plugin)

http://www.chromefans.org/chrome-tutorial/add-wikipedia-search-engine-to-google-chrome.htm

Just add wikipedia to the search engine list and set up a keyword. When you start a search with the keyword, it should search that location. Alternatively, you can add DuckDuckGo, set it as your default search engine and use their !Bang syntax. This is what I've started doing because they are non-tracking, non-bubbling and the !Bang syntax is awesomely useful.

https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    ardichoke said:

set up a keyword.

This is a vital part of info I seem to have missed. I tried messing around with the settings to get it to work, but somehow I always assumed it would be "wiki:" to do a search. Many thanks, @Ardichoke. I will read up on this Bang! though.
    I will start using DuckDuckGo Immediately! So awesome. The world is at my fingertips! You, @ardichoke, Are. The. Man. I have seen the light. It even solved problem number 1. Who would have thought!?