Did someone say Monster Hunter?!

RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature EnthusiastNew Mexico Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Gaming
No one did, but I want to know a few things in regard. Namely for the goal to see if this would be a valid community of Hunters later on. Keep that in mind. I'm not trying to throw in yet another time consumer for you all to dive into at the moment, what with TF2, BF3, Skyrim and all that still relatively fresh. Also, being that this is mainly a PC gamer site with, from what little research I've done, not much previous interest in the series, I have my doubts. We'll see.

So, what are your thoughts on the Monster Hunter series? Love it? Hate it? Ambivalent? Never heard of it?

For those that have no idea what the series is, Google it (it has a great wiki and some coolvideos ) or read this quick synopsis: a heavy hitter of Capcom's (namely in Japan, outside has had fair but not notable success,) Monster Hunter is essentially a hunting sim of a grandiose design. In a semi-primitive/tribal setting, you hunt various monsters, namely of a dinosaur and dragonic nature, with weapons and armor made from your spoils of "war" with the beasts. As you complete missions, you'll gradually hunt bigger and badder beasts, upgrading your armor and weapons with monster bits. It's had about 5+ releases (and a "remake" for each,) one of which is a popular MMO in Japan.

Comments

• I have only spent about 600+ hours of my life playing this game so yes, I love these games. Everyone needs to play these amazing games. Now if the PS Vita got a Monster Hunter exclusive, I would pick it right up! Monster Hunter! Nya!
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Monster Hunter on Vita? However with how Vita isn't doing too well in Japan at the moment though we'll see.

New topic. Frontier is FREE until January 25. Wish I knew about it when it started on the 11th. I don't care if it's all in Kanji, I'll try it for that time frame... if the college firewall will let me. :grumble:
  • PunnyFuzzPunnyFuzz victoria, BC
    I've got Portable 3rd on PsP. anyone want to go hunting on Adhoc party?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I'll begin searching for a good PSP deal. I've played Freedom on my brother's PSP but he won't let me have it since he's gonna drop it for the Vita despite the lack of playback. He doesn't even use the dang thing anymore I think, but that's another story.
  • PunnyFuzzPunnyFuzz victoria, BC
    I'll begin searching for a good PSP deal. I've played Freedom on my brother's PSP but he won't let me have it since he's gonna drop it for the Vita despite the lack of playback. He doesn't even use the dang thing anymore I think, but that's another story.
    cool, cool. welp, you know were I'll be until then, happy hunting!
    edited February 2012
    It would appear that 3G will be having a summer - fall release window for the English localized version. Note that's how it appears. No official date / ETA yet. If they also send over the bundle I won't care if I already have a 3DS. I'm buying that one for sure.
    Well still no official word on a Western localization for 3G. In fact, the only substantial news for the West is a new trailer for MH4. Showcasing new monsters (oh that mystery dragon), environments, and more of the new action mechanics such as jumping on the back of a beastie to deal damage and destructible environments. MH4 is scheduled for release in Japan sometime early next year for the 3DS. No word on western localization.

Learning Japanese and importing the proper devices seems to be the only way to keep it fresh here in the West.

True hunters are extremely patient, but is 3+ years pushing it a little?
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    DID SOMEONE SAY
    ?!
    Ahh, good times, good times! Can't remember !@#$ about the show but still.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I've never played Monster Hunter, and I'm disappointed at myself for that, but when I was living on a friends couch out in the central valley of California before starting my job at AMD, I watched him play Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii with another buddy of ours almost every day. It looked effing awesome.

I've been interested in Tri ever since then, but they have since stopped playing so I never got around to it. If some Icrontians are interested in getting some Tri going, you bet I'll go out and buy it.

Also, no Monster Hunter discussion is complete without this:

edited July 2012
    I've been interested in Tri ever since then, but they have since stopped playing so I never got around to it. If some Icrontians are interested in getting some Tri going, you bet I'll go out and buy it.

Also, no Monster Hunter discussion is complete without this:
    I'm still not done with Tri and the servers are always open. A few more people would make it an optimal experience.

@ the video:
    And here we have the wild BadAss, exhibiting nigh perfect timing. He bathes in lava daily and eats Dragon Gems for breakfast. The Devil Jho, as well as other arguably fierce monsters, will lose control of its bowels and attempt to run away at the sound of the BadAss' mighty roar. You could try assaulting him from behind, above, or underground ... but you're just as likely to get owned as if assaulting him from the front.

Suggested strategy: Pray he isn't hunting you and walk away.
    Well, it isn't Capcom let alone Monster Hunter but the new project Raider Z seems to be trying to muscle in as a competitor to the formula. We'll see as the beta hits.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If a group gets going, I will make the first-ever Icrontic badge for a console game... and a Wii game at that.
    How many Icrontians have a Wii?
    In my oh so self-conscious opinion I believe Tri alone can warrant the purchase of one, but again that is my fanboy opinion.

Only 4 people are needed for optimal multiplayer so obviously not a lot of commitment needed.
    Recommended Equipment: Classic Controller/Pro version. The Wiimote controls can work better then other Wii games but the controller is easier to learn.

USB keyboard makes communication easy in-game, but depending on your whole entertainment setup you may not need it. WiiSpeak too I guess but I don't have it so no actual experience.

I'll get it planned and mobilized if enough people are willing. Kinda wish there was a demo for people to try so they could see if it is their cup-o'-tea.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I've had Tri in shrinkwrap since December. Maybe I'll bust it out.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Looks like the game can be picked up for less than $20. $16 on some Google Shopping sites. I may see if I can pick it up cheap. Sounds interesting enough with the Gotcha Bitch Giant Sword and all.

-Digi
    3 people can make for some fun hunting. I can easily grab another to make it 4. Maybe once things kinda die down (betas, Borderlands 2, GW2, Fall schedule transitions), or before they get started in the first place, we can get an evening in. I have no idea when would be appropriate though.
    I've only been in the RaiderZ and I can already say I know I'm not gonna get the "Monster Hunter" feel from it. Not to say that is a bad thing. It's fun in it's own way.
    For those attending PAX this September, there will be a Monster Hunter rep from Capcom at the handheld Station. He'll hunt with those that have a portable version with them AND for those that don't he'll be giving away copies of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) as well as other prizes. Also, another rep has stated that there will be some Monster Hunter news before the end of the year. The patient hunter waits more, but not much longer ...

Only 3 months left. I'm preordering this now and I don't even have a WiiU yet.
    This seems very ... touchy (hahaha *slap*) to me. One of Monster Hunter's flaws is that the controls are a bit wonky even with dual sticks. The lock on helps, but the control buttons are so small unless it's on an iPad that I don't know if this would work out.

edited January 2015

Monster hunter 4 Ultimate will be released on February 13th along with LoZ: Majora's Mask and the New 3DS XL. There will be special New 3DS bundles for both of those games.

I received 4 demo codes for MH4U and would LOVE to introduce some of you to the fascinating (if wonky) world of Monster Hunter as the demo includes online multiplayer and is not limited like other 3DS demos. First come first serve.

Edit: 1 code taken. 2 more left.

Game Grumps started their second season of Monster Hunter earlier:

oni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

thumbleweed
    still peeps alive here? just bought Tri Ultimate on wiiU, if some of you are still playing it, add me so we can quest together
    My mii friend code or wtv it is call is Oni-Dels

edited October 2015

As far as I know, I'm gonna be the only one to play on the WiiU unless ICHQ picks it up.

Friend request sent. Welcome to the hunt!

oni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

@RahnalH102 said:
    As far as I know, I'm gonna be the only one to play on the WiiU unless ICHQ picks it up.

Friend request sent. Welcome to the hunt!

cool. and i use to play it on ps2, and had it when it came out on the wii, so i'm already pretty aware of what to do

In today's Nintendo Direct, they announced that Monster Hunter X will be coming to to the west this summer as Monster Hunter Generations (there's the G!) not much else was mentioned except that there will be a S&S set that makes you look like Marth from Fire Emblem.

Monster Hunter X's key features are:
    4 Flagship monsters as well as more new monsters
    Introduction of Hunting Styles
    Specials called Hunting Arts
    The option to hunt as a felyne

The 4 hunting Styles are;
    Guild: The classic moveset we've played as up till now.
    Aerial: A moveset that focuses on jumping and air attacks.
    Bushido: A moveset that rewards precise timings on dodges, blocks and other base weapon mechanics.
    Striker: A moveset that specializes in the new Hunting Arts.

Hunting Arts are special abilities you can equip. Some are unique to the weapon class you are using while others are general. For example there is a hunting art that makes you Super dodge when you use it. While a unique art to the gunlance causes a massive but contained explosion (looks like a sun). These abilities have a warm up period decided by your combat involvement, and a cooldown afterwords. All styles can using these arts but the amount you can have equipped is limited by the style. The Striker style allows you to equip the maximum of 3 arts.

Hunting as a felyne, called a Nyanter, is like playing a whole new weapon class. Nyanters have unique abilities and mechanics tied to them, such as burrowing, nine lives, and unique support capabilities. You can hunt as a felyne in actual full sized hunts and in online mode as well.

Lastly, Monster Hunter 4U is on sale for 50% off in honor of this announcement, but only for a couple days.

• DeathJesterDeathJester Lone Wolf Oklahoma Icrontian

Who's playing Monster Hunter World?

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

As far as I know it’s myself, @midga, @Ilriyas and @RahnalH102