BobbyDigi's TF2 advice, price check, item hunt and general question thread

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited December 2015 in Team Fortress 2
As some of you may know, I love me some TF2. I love talking about TF2, I love playing TF2, I love writing about TF2, I love collecting and trading TF2 items.

It gets tough to talk TF2 while we are playing though. I don't know who is talking to me and I miss questions or offers because I am playing or answering someone else's question or others are using the voice chat for... you know, the game at hand.

So here is a thread for all around questions including but not limited to:

You want to acquire a certain item or an item of a certain quality?

You want to know how much something is worth?

You want to know if the random guy who added you is offering a fair trade?

You want to give me crates. I like crates :D Please don't delete them D: (FYI: I rarely open them, I hoard them)

You want to know how you can give back to the IC TF2 community?

You want to know what weapon sets go together well or for your particular favorite class?

I know a few of you have questions, I am happy to answer them. If it is a valuable answer I will copy the information gathered into the OP here so we have an ever growing list of information. Some of you may be uncomfortable asking a particular question in front of other players, in these cases please do not hesitate to PM me your question and I will be happy to keep our conversation private.

Ask away!

Of note: I am a collector. I trade for way more stuff then I 'sell'. Because of this, the prices I keep up on are how much items sell for and not necessarily the most you can get for them.

Item finding: Basically if there is an item you yearn for, just let me know. I can let you know an idea on what it will take to get it. If you are cool with the going price, you provide me the metal/keys/whatever, I'll pick it up for you asap, then I send it your way along with any change (I'm not looking to profit off you guys, just help in the process). Smaller items I can usually pick up (after we agree on a price you are willing to pay me back) and then we can direct trade item for what I paid.

Basic definitions:

black market - any trades or sales involving goods or currency taking place outside of the Steam Trade window. For example any trade where someone paypals someone money for an item is a black market transaction
a wep - any craftable weapon
a scrap - Scrap metal, made by combining 2 craftable weapons
rec - short for Reclaimed or a Reclaimed metal, made by crafting 3 scrap
ref - short for Refined or a Refined metal, made by crafting 3 rec
key - MannCo crate key. Available for purchase in-game for $2.49, sells on the black market for quite a bit less

Metal decimals: The trading community has settled on a way of expressing amounts of metal in decimals. Most of the time referred to in Refined metal.
1 Refined metal is 3 Reclaimed metal making 1 Reclaimed = .33 Refined
1 Reclaimed metal is 3 Scrap metal making a Scrap = .11 Refined

Unusuals: I do very little in the way of Unusual hats. Like all items, prices are driven by supply and demand. Unusuals in general, by their own nature, have quite small supply so the value is pretty much based on the demand for the particular hat combined with the demand for the effect.

Real World Money: (As of 07/31/12)
Black market key price: $1.40
Key value in metal: 2.66 ref

As of 12/27/15
Key value in metal: 17.44 ref

-Digi
BuddyJmertesnmidgatrooster89

Comments

• brightbright Icrontian
    Best crates to open? :p
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    bright said:

Best crates to open? :p

Short answer: 1, 13, 14, 19, 21, 23, 30, 40

Long answer is on This Community Built Spreadsheet that does an amazing job explaining the average value per key spent on a particular series crate.

:-D

-Digi
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Value for Lv 50 Unusual Lord Cockswain's Pith Helmet with Vivid Plasma?
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I want one of those new Pyro weapons, the flare gun with small AoE.
    BuddyJ said:

That'll take a few minutes of research. I'll see what I can find and get back to you.
    d3k0y said:

I want one of those new Pyro weapons, the flare gun with small AoE.

The Scorch Shot? I might have a spare I can trade ya 1:1 for any spare wep you may have. I'll check and let you know. If not they are being traded for about 2-3 scrap currently.

-Digi
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Why is a black market key less money than in the store?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

First: It's black market and untrusted. Why pay $2.50+ to a potentially sinister individual when the Mann. Co. store is safer?

Second: People trade them for metal so they can sell them cheaper (technically pure profit because metal can be had for $0/idling)
    Lincoln said:

What MM said above is part of it. Detailing this out will make some good reading so I'll submit it as an article.

-Digi
    Please do. The Mannconomy blows my mind. You're IC's Chief Mannconimist. (That makes Lincoln our Chief Manconomist?)
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Is my Bill's Cap worth anything?
    d3k0y said:

Indeed it is. About 9-10 keys currently.

-Digi
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Ooooh, I also have the Bill's hat. I'm surprised it's worth so much.....I do really want a strange fish.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    BobbyDigi said:

d3k0y said:

Indeed it is. About 9-10 keys currently.

-Digi
    Wow, REALLY? Crap on a crutch, that's insane. Is Ellis' cap worth similar? (I've turned down a lot of insane offers - like 3 earbuds for it.)
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Ellis cap is worth less from what I gather.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    I believe Ellis Cap is 1.22 refined right now.
    If someone offers you any buds for Elli's... Do it noa! without question, though you are probably getting trolled.

Bright is correct. Ellis has zero demand and only has value as a craft hat. 1-1.33 refined is it's current value. Bill's is a special case because it has become a quasi-currency in TF2. It used to be 13+ keys and is on a downtrend.

@Gnomequeen, I'mma hit you up later. We can probably get you a s.fish + change for your Bill's if you want to do that.

-Digi
    BuddyJ said:

Soldier is a high tier class. The helmet is quite low tier. The effect is low to mid tier.

I'm seeing price checks ranging from 1.5 to 3 buds. More on the lower end then higher so call it 1.5-2 buds or $43.50-$58.00. If work was put in and you found someone who had to have that hat/effect combo you may be able to get 2.5 buds but probably not the cash equivalent to that.

Buds price based on $29/bud current standing offer on SourceOP

-Digi
    Picked up a Strange Soda Popper for Cola last night. He let me know what he wanted during TF2sday, I put the word out and was able to pick it up for him for 1-2 rec less then every listing I could find. I'm gooooood.

Going to add some info to the OP on finding items for Icrontians.

I've answered Lincoln's Key question in detail Here.

-Digi
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    I've always wanted to get my hands on a Grenadier's soft cap and a strange black box.
  • Ily I have a spare strange black box, you can have it.
    edited August 2012
    @Pirateninja Really? I can give you something for it if you want.
    There ya go. We can work on getting you a Softcap. Because it is one of the few hats that actually do something, they go for about 2-2.6 ref. Could probably get you a dirty (uncraftable) one for 1 ref.

-Digi
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    Any way I could get a hold of a vintage pain train? I accidentally crafted mine a while back and I'd like to be back to having every vintage weapon ever.
    You probably mean every first vintage switch weapon... but that is a longer story.

You can get a pain train for 1-2 reclaimed, because of it's release being relatively shortly before the vintage switch, it is slightly rarer then the rest from the first switch.

-Digi
    I have one and place no value on it, you can have it if you want. I have 2 regulars anyways.
    edited August 2012
    Anyone have a craftable Skullcutter they don't need? I have a dirty one to trade if you need a replacement, but I need a craftable one so I can finally make my Headless axe.
    I do @BuddyJ, and that is perfect as I happen to need the uncraftable one for my uncraftable collection.

I'll hit you up after work tonight.

-Digi
    ^5 Thanks friend!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    System? What happened to Ivan?