Steam to stretch beyond gaming

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• It's a smart move.
    Theironhand
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    They recently started distributing Music and Movies (granted they are Game Soundtracks and a Video Game Documentary) via steam so this is no surprise.

-Digi
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    This could honestly be awesome...or horrific. yay/meep?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    This goes with my prediction of a Steam console/media center. Forget Apple TV. I want Steam TV.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    I would love to see a Netflix app on steam.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Could you explain how you think that might work? At the moment I don't see the value.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Yeah, this isn't really News. They've been saying this for years (or maybe just everyone else has been saying they should) It was inevitable. It'll be news when they come out with a list of upcoming releases. If they can get someone like Adobe on board with this, it will be something epic.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Could you explain how you think that might work? At the moment I don't see the value.
    I'm just assuming they'll might as well add it if there going with app store idea like Apple, but I would like a Netflix launcher on the PC, rather then launching it through the web browser.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    All of my screenshots could be posted directly to Instagram with an 8-bit filter.
    All of my screenshots could be posted directly to Instagram with an 8-bit filter.

YES.
    midga
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    midga
  • This is great, more steam on steam (lol). I love their workshop, and I think this might be a success as well!

I love their focus on open development, and that they allow new developers to have a shot of glory on their very popular platform.

+1 to steam.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Steam will contain the application Origin soon, EA be damned
    TheironhandNullenVoydprimesuspect
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I'm seeing all my engineering CAD applications on Steam, going on sale 2-3 times a year. With achievements. Glorious!
    Annes
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Holy shitsnacks... My business software procurable during a Steam sale, or addable to a wishlist for gifting opportunities? I think I might be drooling a bit.

OTOH, I somehow doubt there will be a lot of software I would use (at least off the bat), and I also doubt they'll do sales like they do with games (of course, that might not be the case). It may, however, be a good way for indie software developers to get their products out there (since, you know, Steam's been pretty damn good for that in the indie game realm). Who knows, maybe we'll see a Humble Not-Games Software Bundle happen (calling it now) with Steam codes available.

I honestly see Adobe going the way of Blizzard (i.e. EF U STEEM) with this, especially since they're already pushing their own cloud services. At least I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Annes
  • Technically speaking, they have already been doing so, what with the game engine and game development tools avaliable through Steam for its' games. Sounds great that they're expanding on this!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    This is dark magic. One cannot simply hold such power without being corrupted by it. Look what it did to poor Smeagol.
  • Thrax said:

I'm just assuming they'll might as well add it if there going with app store idea like Apple, but I would like a Netflix launcher on the PC, rather then launching it through the web browser.
    You can already do this... In Chrome, go to Menu > Tools > Create Application Shortcut. No need for Steam to get involved at all.

I welcome my new app auto-updating overlords. I hope pidgin gets put in there so I can finally keep it updated.