Epic Mann vs. Machine tales

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Team Fortress 2
This game is five years old.

I didn't really intend to sit down and play for seven hours straight, really.

But it just sort of happened like that. We started a six man, ranked, surplussed match, and we starting killing robots.

Wave after wave of robots. We fought tanks. We killed giant heavies. We slaughtered robosnipers.

We prevailed through seven rounds of utter terror, despair, and joy.

We lost a war of attrition, as six adults cannot simply continue playing a game this intense for such a prolonged length of time.

@Midga, @CrazyJoe, @PirateNinja, @Cola, and @Mantequilla : We will win. We will do this again. And we shall have hats, my brothers in arms.. Oh, the hats we shall have.

It will be glorious.

BobbyDigiZanthian

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    That wave 8...

Joined a solo Mann Up and got an amazing set of players. Put in almost 4 hours. We strategized, we communicated, but ultimately we failed.

27000+ damage

I hate these guys:

-Digi
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Wave 8 is insane. We almost had it. I'm convinced that if we hadn't already been on hour seven, weren't all tired and pissy and frustrated, we could have won. We came so close, had only a couple bots left to kill and we derped. NEXT TIME, GRAY MANN, NEXT TIME.
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited August 2012
    It took the PUG I was with quite a bit of time to beat it. The first three times on wave 7 of Coal town we were down to the last tank and we just had a constant stream of Giant Soldiers pushing the point. Finally the last time we pushed all of the Giants back to spawn and were able to just focus fire the Tank... We ended up getting it (the map and the tank) with another ramp of time to go before it would have been another loss.

Two things I have learned so far: Pyros are by far one of the best classes on the map. You can air burst Sentry Busters and whomever bot is holding the bomb (assuming it not a giant).

Second, You probably don't want to ever double up on a support class (Medic, Engi, Sniper). You can seemingly get away with Heavy, Demo or Soldier but we found the most success when we all ran unique classes.

Also, didn't get a rare hat, a bunch of moderately uncommon weapons was all.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    I set up a private server like Thrax posted in the other thread. Got 3 friends to join and finally managed to make it through wave 8 on Decoy. It was certainly tough, though! After that, we found the currency_give command which was awesome to mess around with.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    The game supplanted dinner. The game took precedence over beer. The game told my bladder it could fucking wait and shut the fuck up. I haven't had that much cooperative fun with that many people for that many hours since my last orgy, and that wasn't nearly as intense as last night was. All in all, worth every cent of nine dimes and nine pennies I spent on it, and I didn't even actually spend it on that cause I'll get to use that ticket again.
    And it will get used again. And next time, it will be consumed.
    Ilriyascola
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    My brother (Enembis), Best Friend (Zealock), and I joined a PuG que. Our team was Soldier (me), Medic, Pyro, Spy, Engie (Enembis), and Heavy, (Zealock). We had fun, were challenged, and some hilarity happened, namely my brother running around with his toolbox with a Sentry Buster on his tail as well as Spy-bots around.

But the hands down highlight of the mission was on the final wave. We had failed it a few times, 5-6 I'm not sure, but every time we made it a bit farther. Then it came down to the wire SO HARD. Only 1 tank was left after 3 other tanks and 4 Reflector Giant Heavies. We're burning it down as fast as we can at the bomb site. It gets so far as to DROP THE BOMB. At that millisecond I had lost all hope. Then big and red in the center of the screen, VICTORY.

OH the relief!

Edit: Got the "Balls-E" achieve from it. The icon for it sums it up.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Scout so OP in MvM health on cash collect is amazing.
    edited August 2012
    @Ilriyas, @midga, @Thrax, @Theironhand, @RahnalH102 and Myself just Manned Up all over MannWorks

We came...
    We Played...
    We strategized...
    We Won...

And then this happened...

Rare Drop for Midga. Grats dude. #Hats

-Digi
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    @RahnalH102 taking a pre-round drink
    edited August 2012
    We regrouped and Manned Up straight in Coal Town's face:

Purchased another ticket:
    The Group:
    Ready to defend!
    SO MUCH FUN!
    Unfortunanly Theironhand disconnected from Steam between the 6th and 7th round. We recieved a random, a Healthkit and on the second try after that:
    Look closely...
    Again!

Midga got another rare drop!

Epic night. 2:2 Mann Up mode.

-Digi
    IlriyasErrorNullTurnip
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Sorry Ironhand couldn't finish with us. :(

Edit: lol me too slow. Bobby uploaded before me.

Also the Tag & Taunt shot is glorious!
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Yeah sorry guys, the power went off in my neighborhood, and the DTE didn't fix it until 5 hours after I left :(.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Mann-ing up all day erry day with @TiberiusLazarus, @Preacher, @Rexxar, and @Pragtastic
    Both @Preacher and @Rexxar got some rare hats

Despite it being completely useless to the team's efforts I finally got a screencap of myself riding the back of a tank.

RahnalH102BobbyDigi
    It was time to take on Decoy's Data Demolition:

Meet The Team
    And by our powers combined!

Was good time!

-Digi
    edited August 2012
    The second mission on MannWorks is labeled endurance and it is just that.

We had a good team:
    Wave One easy enough:
    Wave Two we pushed through:
    Wave Three on the other hand...
    Hate...
    They made it too far...
    And while after many tries we could make it to the last wave of heavies...

...I have no victory shot for you :(

Next time you robotic bastards! Next Time.

-Digi
  • brightbright Icrontian
    It was a lot of fun. :D
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Midga and I rolled a MvM today, the second option for Coal Town to be exact, we managed to get a decent group of pubs and pushed through wave after wave.

The MVP of the match award goes to out pyro who managed to reset the bomb at least once every single wave.

I ended up getting the Pyrobotics Pack out of it all without using a surplus ticket XDD
    edited August 2012
    Dream Team. It started because the IC TF2 server was being fail and randomly restarting. A few of us dropped off and started to put together a team to pop Lynx's MvM cherry.

Soldier @UPSLynx
    Demo @cola
    Medic @Midga
    Pyro @Thrax
    Engi @primesuspect
    Heavy @BobbyDigi

And we got to work...

Thrax got disconnected so we fell back and regrouped.

The first two rounds went pretty easy once we got into the groove but the third eluded us. We were not even making it to the tanks. The first wave of Giant Soldiers were grouping up on us at the point. It was bad. There really is no time to think about anything but robot killing while the waves are going, let alone move your hand to take screenshots. I will try to get a shot or two of the action in the future though.

Side note: I had a pretty awesome trading day and used some of my trade fodder to get a new gun in between waves:

Isn't she purdy?

Ok back to Dream Team. Cola prepares for the next go:

Lynx salutes, he is ready

Thrax, Midga and Prime's nest

Pinklestia tries to help but she is afraid of the new Mini Gun

Midga went to get Salsa, we banded together as Team Salsa...

As Team Salsa something clicked. We all found the perfect groove all at the same time and we took out the final wave with the power of over nine thousand Scoville units.

No Rare Drops but prime picked up a sweet Sniper Bucket Hat.

It really is unexplainable that last wave. We all knew it shortly after we started. It was no contest. We won Mann vs Machine.

-Digi
    RahnalH102
    WE MAKE GOOD TEAM. Also, salsa.
    BobbyDigicolaUPSLynxmidga
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    That was a frigging blast. This mode RULES.
    I GOT A HAT, MAMA!
    Dat salsa

edited August 2012
    I loves my new medipack :D The sniper hat was a cool bonus, though I don't snipe often. Really wanna get my hands on the medigun =o

And tonight was salsa. At first it wasn't salsa, but then salsa and we just salsa. It was delicious.

I just can't wait for the next. [f4]
    edited August 2012
    I just noticed that Lynx took out the final Giant Heavy with The Original. Fitting.

-Digi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    BobbyDigi said:

I just noticed that Lynx took out the final Giant Heavy with The Original. Fitting.

-Digi

yeeaaaahhhhh boooyyyeeeeeeeee!

I just remembered that I still don't know what loot I got. I hate when the TF2 UI bugs out and fails to load things.

*edit* I just realized that's what that final screen on Digi's post is. Looks like I got a gun for the heavy. Might be cool.
    I believe this is relevant to some people.
    midga
    Last night was pretty awesome. There were a few rough rounds, but when we found our groove we were in it. There were some spectacularly close endings, both directions, and the final verdict was a good number of rares all around. I'd post pics, but I can never seem to remember to take good ones while the game is on...
    edited August 2012
    Good runs. I completed two missions. The first group was Midga, Thrax, Preacher, TheIronHand, Cola, and myself.

The damned deflector heavies

Second group was Midga, Cola, Preacher, Quake101, Bandrik, and myself. It got a little hairy for a minute, but we pulled through:
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    So @Rexxar, @Preacher, @Pragtastic, @Pacifisto, and I got an A+ Rank all the way through seven waves and didn't get our achievement for it. We are le sad.

We came, we saw, we stuck our dick so far up Decoy's ass it's not gonna be able to sit down for weeks.