A late invention

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Look at this invention.
The thing is though that it is some three or fours years late in my opinion.
The company's new Dual PC Modem uses the newly ratified V.92 protocol to let two or more PCs share a single 56Kbps dial-up connection, as well as printers and other resources.

Share 56K? That is not a whole lot of bandwith.

Link:Article

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You have to remember that, although alot of people have broadband, a hell of alot more have dial-up and cant get broadband where they live.

Even though dual 56k isnt much by broadband standards, its double what they are getting on a standard 56k modem.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited June 2003
    That is true Necropolis_uk but I do think that the market for such an invention was larger two maybe three years ago.

I know that everyone cannot have broadband, far from everyone as a matter of fact.

But why use this instead of ISDN for example?
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I know of places in the Uk where the telephone lines will not support IDSN.

I agree that to make the most impact this should have come out 2/3 years ago, but for all those modem users, they can get that little bit closer to us broadband hogs :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    About five years or so ago there was a company (maybe more than one) selling modems which could be "shotgunned" (as in double-barrel) in pairs to theoretically double your dial-up bandwidth. This was the reverse of what is described in this new invention.

For "Shotgunning" you installed two modems in the same computer attached to two seperate phone lines (and paid twice the phone bill). The technology combined this into a double speed modem. Once people added up the cost of two modems, bigger phone bill, and the fact that your ISP had to support it, too, it wasn't a big hit.

Prof
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited June 2003
    That sounds very similar to bundled ISDN 128Kb's it works in a similar fashion and the cost is also doubled.

Here in Denmark 99% of the population should be able to get broadband.
    I would like to call it narrowband instead 256 Down/128 Up
    isn't exactly broadband.
    This is broadband :D
    26 Mbps

Why don't I live in Sweden? :confused: