The countdown begins to a Black Mesa release

BasilBasil NubcaekEngland Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'm actually more excited about this than I would have been about a HL3 or HL2e3 release date. :D
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    midgaardichoke
  • I have quite literally been waiting for this release the whole time.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    I never thought I'd see a Resonance Cascade, never mind create one...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Oh hi, @Enverex! Long time no see :D
    JUST ONE MORE WEEK!
  • This game awesome. Played for an hour last night before bed, brings back so many memories. This was my first "real" PC game back in the day so it brings me great joy that it was revisited. I haven't even got the crowbar yet and I can already tell they did the game right. The important dialog remains, but they have updated the side conversations you hear such as a couple of scientists complaining about TPS reports, Barney's bar tab, and a conversation consisting of nothing but buzzwords and science words. I highly suggest giving this a go. It's making me fall in love with Half-Life all over again. As their website says, it isn't a port, they have recreated the game from ground up. You can tell because there are subtle changes in the layout, guard shacks and security checkpoints make a bit more sense area and flow-wise. The game is just beautiful.
    My only complaint is that the first person platforming is still un-fun and annoying as hell (to the point where I'm doubtful I'll play this a second time =/). Otherwise, this game is magic. I never finished the original (got stuck, got new computer, never bothered trying again cause I knew Black Mesa was in the works), but I have played HL2. It feels so natural that I'm probably going to go back and play HL2 again when I'm done.

Oh, and the load times. They're expected, but they still jar you out of the moment so horribly...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    midga said:

Oh, and the load times. They're expected, but they still jar you out of the moment so horribly...

This was unexpected and really weirded me out. Full stop of all graphics until loading completed.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Feels good to NOT have regenerating health. I had almost forgotten how much tension low-life adds to a game when it doesn't regenerate.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Feels good to NOT have regenerating health. I had almost forgotten how much tension low-life adds to a game when it doesn't regenerate.

But my health regenerates IRL... Nice realism, NOT.
    UPSLynx
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Most of my FPS/TPS collection is comprised of non-regenerating health games for that exact reason.

Anyways as someone who's never played HL before (Though I did play like 3 hours worth of HL2 before my PC crashed and I lost all my progress) I'm really REALLY enjoying Black Mesa, the fights are exciting and unlike games with regenerating health I'm actually hiding and constantly worried that something is going to kill me (Being on the hardest difficulty has basically ensured that my hp will never be over 60 for more than a few minutes)

The platforming however I could do without, so far I've counted around 30 deaths (I only just got above ground) and more than half of those are due to platforming.

Aside from that I've noticed a few optimization issues and the load times definitely kill the immersion but it's fun.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    The platforming sucks, and it always has - but don't forget, quicksaving makes it way easier.
    I actually forgot about quicksaves for the first few hours I played...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    So, is this thing done yet? I've been waiting for them to finish Xen before I play it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    That still says that feature plans include "Future additions of Xen". So has that just not been updated?