Need an A/V recommendation

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Science & Tech
Can anyone recommend an A/V that's worth buying and that isn't a resource hog? I'm getting tired of the ads with Avira.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Popup-Ads-in-Avira-Antivir

Or just use MSE.

I always liked ESET when I used paid products.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    MSE, free and doesn't seem to be a hog. I wouldn't tell anyone to buy A/V the last couple years.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    always used mse.
  • I'll echo the chants for Microsoft Security Essentials. It works and updates easily, and does not seem to bog the system down. I put that on every system now.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    I guess I should buy Windows first so MSE would work on it.

Edit: I might as well just wait for 8.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    BlackHawk said:

you can probably get a really good deal now that you're a student, either through the school itself or MS will often have crazy deals with a student email address.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    There's lots of talk that Windows 8 will only be an upgrade from Windows 7. That can't be true as it would cause all sorts of problems, but the upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 will be cheap (as in Mac OSX update cheap) so in all honesty I'd recommend purchasing Windows 7 and using Microsoft Security Essentials. I've had no issues with it myself and no annoying popups or adverts to upgrade to a "Pro" version! ;)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    shwaip said:

BlackHawk said:

you can probably get a really good deal now that you're a student, either through the school itself or MS will often have crazy deals with a student email address.
    In some cases, Windows might even be free. There used to be an MSDN Academic Alliance program that provided free access to Windows, Office, and a few other programs for students of participating schools.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    Been using MSE for quite a while now. Good+simple+ works =WIN