Here's the problem with cloud computing

13»

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    GHoosdum said:

If you had really done that, your C: drive wouldn't be full.

This! ;D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Also, it's bangarang. Get it right.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    CB said:

In a million years, what people are around wont remember anymore which planet we originally came from.

>Implying that hasn't happened already.

GHoosdum
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    My main issue with "Cloud" is the name itself. It's a lovely marketing term for companies to throw around and misuse however they like. Lovely and vague, can be used to apply to a million different things!
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

JBoogaloo said:

Kwitko said:

It's crossed our minds. We have physical and cloud backups. The problem with the physical, disk-based backups is that they don't leave the building, so if there's a fire, so long backups. On the other hand, the odds are pretty slim that both the cloud and the physical backups will disappear at the same time. If that happens, I think there are more pressing problems, like the end of the world.

Digital information is VERY fragile, which is why there are tons of businesses out there who specialize in long term archival storage that have backups upon backups upon backups with people in charge of making sure that formats are changed when they are obsolete, that someone is monitoring security and many (if not all) of these places have disaster planning as well.
    You may be surprised at how many companies have very "thin" disaster plans when it comes to records management, file archiving, etc... It is extremely hard to listen to "professionals" in major companies talk about how little disaster planning they have actually done or know how to do.
    Oh I'm sure they do. I just mean that Tim makes it sound like NO ONE has ever considered this happening, where that's simply not the case. Many, many professionals have. Of course, they haven't managed to convince everyone how awesome disaster planning and such is yet; in fact, I have a project this semester to do a disaster planning assessment for a local archive/library/museum and come up with a plan for them.
    If you would like any input or information I would be pleased to provide any and as much as I can...of course, only if you'd like any :)
    If you would like any input or information I would be pleased to provide any and as much as I can...of course, only if you'd like any :)
    I sense an Icrontic article in your future!!
    midga
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Enverex said:

My main issue with "Cloud" is the name itself. It's a lovely marketing term for companies to throw around and misuse however they like. Lovely and vague, can be used to apply to a million different things!

??

primesuspectmidgaIlriyasardichoke
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Tim said:

I was just watching an ad for a Kindle Fire, and this reminded me of something.

Amazon 451?

Zuntar said:

^
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    midga said:

Tim said:

I was just watching an ad for a Kindle Fire, and this reminded me of something.

Amazon 451?

Zuntar said:

^

I think I can write something up on disaster and emergency preparedness in the next week or so. Who knows, maybe it'll come in handy for some in the future :)
    One of the reasons why just a normal back up is just not enough for some is it is not disaster
    fullproof. I personaly back up my stuff to a server, then back up the server to a HDD and store it at my Mothers house. A safe deposit box would be better, but...