Dead 8800 GTX scienced to undeath by oven, mad owner

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Well, so far so good 1 day after after re-baking. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks ardichoke.
  • NZY
    edited August 2010
    I did this with my dead 8800 gts i did not work
    200ºc 10 min.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    EVGA 8800 GTS has arisen from certain rage!

Thank you UPSLynx for OP and Thank you again along with Thrax for the advice on TIM.

I updated my sig ;)

-Digi
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Epix win. You sir get no noob cakes tonight!
  • edited November 2010
    I just did this with my own 8800GTX that I thought was dead forever and i'm using it right now, awesome stuff. I went and bought a crappy $40 video card today to temporarily replace it after it died, found this solution, and swapped it back out. At least i've got a spare if it dies again
  • edited November 2010
    Oh yeah and also I don't know why you say to leave it overnight after it comes out of the oven, mine was cooled down, put back together and running in 45 minutes.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Because it's the safest way to make sure that the solder is completely cooled.
  • edited November 2010
    Definately works, thanks!

My Geforce 8800 gtx had died whilst I was on YouTube - the pc would switch on afterwards but I was getting no display.
  • edited January 2011
    Bobby, baked two 8800 ultras i used to run in SLI mode tonight. 10 min as instructed golden brown and crisp to the touch. 30 minutes later, reassembled after cooldown. Carefully tested both and got a post. Set them in SLI mode, what a beauty it was to see them purring again. I dont post on websites...unless warranted. CHEERS !
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    :D

Glad we could help!
  • edited February 2011
    Mos def best pc trick ive seen. I just rescued my 4 year old 8800gts after it went to rastors of red lines out of no where. did the 390 @ 10min and cool it off and BINGO> merci beacoupe!!!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    So we should go on their comments thread and be all "YOU COPIED OFF OF US WE DID IT FIRST" just like everyone from Hard forums did on this story. Except we would actually be right.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2011
    Old news. But it has developed to a tried and tested method of resurrecting.
    For me at least. :)
    I have lost count. But I have baked my 8800 GTX at least 5-6 times and each time it has been revived. :)
    It will run for approx. 6 months and then I repeat the procedure.
    Although the last time was not as successful as the previous attempts.
    It does work though but there are a few kinks here and there.
    Maybe it is related to the temperature or time?
    Or the fact that I waited longer than usual before baking it.

Oh and I wonder if I can revive my 6990 as well, if it ever arrives?
    It is not broken though and within warranty. It will be a couple of years before I will attempt a 6990 bake-off. :bigggrin:
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    So we should go on their comments thread and be all "YOU COPIED OFF OF US WE DID IT FIRST" just like everyone from Hard forums did on this story.

Hard charger alert! Those guys are totally hard chargers over there.

Hard_Charger_Alert__by_obakestamps.gif
  • edited August 2011
    I just tried this... and it worked. IT TOTALLY WORKED. I'm somewhat amazed.
  • edited September 2011
    This is my moment of truth : im about to push the button ! wish me luck :O
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Don't burn up! :D
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Best of luck, report back with your results!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to give a big thank you for this article. My 8800GT started giving me artifacts yesterday and after a reboot I got an Error 47 on the video card. Just a little while ago I popped it in the oven for 10 minutes.

After it cooled I put my cards HSF back on and the artifacts and error are gone. I'm about to try some gaming but it looks like this has done the trick.

Anyhow a big thank you to Bobby Miller!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    This story both terrifies and amazes me, but I'm too scared to ever attempt it on my 9800 should it ever cease to work.
    edited December 2011
    Your welcome dude! I'm just taking the science out of baking.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I'm tempted to do this with my GTX485. I'll probably do some troubleshooting to see if it's really dead first.
    edited January 2012
    I did it. Baked it at 200 degrees Celsius, 10 minutes, let it rest a few hours and popped it back in the case. Booted up and it's been running perfectly for days now, not a single graphics glitch. It works!
    lol Celsius.

Awesome dude, glad it worked for you!
    Or 473 Kelvin.
  • it has been years after you made this post. i wonder if your graphic card still works after you bake em? i baked mine once and it only last for a month before the same problem starts recurring... i wonder if I did it wrong?
  • Just baked mine after have failed with everything else..cleaning etc..Works like a charm..My old trusty 8800 is like new. Thx very much..didn't bother waiting over night though..just until it cooled down.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    UPSLynx said:

Your welcome dude! I'm just taking the science out of baking.

@UPSLynx

>your

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Roommate just brought me a dead 8800 GTX he got from a friend. Guess what I'm about to do?