Forum Upgrade

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited April 2004 in Community
It twas xmas day, nothing was stirring.. so I thought Id just upgrade the forums while it's deadly quiet :thumbsup:

Please report all bugs you find in this thread, including browser/operating system and a clear description :)

There are ALOT of new features, so take your time to familiarise yourself with the whole thing.. it's very new.

Why did we upgrade? Performance, features, configurability and an excuse to overhaul the design :D

EDIT<<<

I know some smilies are missing, Im just upgrading those as well ;)

EDIT;

Comments

• McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited December 2003
    Slick......nice little present to wake up to. Thanks Shorty and merry christmas

/* edit: How do I get back to short-media.com

The pretty little graphic keeps takin me back to forums

*/

/* edit2: Nm, found a link @ bottom */
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited December 2003
    cool upgrade shorty what a nice surprise on christmas.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Great job mate. Well Done :clap::clap::clap:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Good work m8! I like it a lot and it is sooo much faster too. :D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    It should be considerably faster. There are alot of SQL queries.. which have been replaced with conditional statements in the HTML templates. It's certainly more expansive to adapt.

I have a few more things to do on it, but it's shaped up well :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    w00t!!! :celebrate

*poke* :D

P.S: in the "reply to thread" part you could make the smilies part smaller by removing the "screwed" and "party" smiley from there.
    edited December 2003
    The smilies are called randomly now (for some reason I have no clue of). Im going to edit that to stop it ;D
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Whoooa. Sweet. Refreshed a page from last night and got a little surprise :)

Looking good. Awkward to start reading on the left but will get used to it. Nice work!

P.S. I love this "___ minutes/hours ago" scheme!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Nice work, mate :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Nice work, mate :)
    Hey! Why is Keebler's avatar so big? Is he overcompensating?
    edited December 2003
    Probably ;D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Very nice!! I woke up rolled into my chair and started up Firebird to come to this I was like SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!! Great job and extreamly fast! If only every site had a shorty the Internet would be a better place
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Okay, I clicked on Quick Reply button in Keebler's post. It didn't fill in his quoted post in the Quick Reply box, but added it to my post anyway. Got that?
    edited December 2003
    Mr. Kwitko wrote:
    Okay, I clicked on Quick Reply button in Keebler's post. It didn't fill in his quoted post in the Quick Reply box, but added it to my post anyway. Got that?
    Yep ;) ... thats a "feature" apparently ;D

I might remove that.. as its a legacy from the hybrid/threaded mode.. which I removed anyway (it was a pointless and a pain in teh..)
    edited December 2003
    My avatar has been that way for months... :hrm:

So where's the option to put avatars and such back in the left column where they belong? ;)
    edited December 2003
    Ive not added it ;) I will once I have final defacto code from Jelsoft. So you will just have to be patient :p
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    I am old, and therefore prone to complain about any changes in my familiar, comfortable old routine -
    OOOOhhhh!!! We got lots more fonts! This is so cool... :thumbup

...prof goes off to see what else is under the S-M Forums tree...
    :woowoo:
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited December 2003
    Looking good guys! :cool:

Like everything that changes, it will take me a bit to get used to it, but don't see that as a complaint.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Ok so I've thought about it and my personal quirks are:
    • Name at the top of a post is just to big. Also when it's bold cause of staff.
    • I think some sort of limit for the diameters of avatars is needed (if there isn't already).
    • The right side of the top of a post where it says the name of the poster seems empty. Needs something I think. Maybe if a rating or award system is implemented, it'll look nicer ;)
    • There's something which I don't know that just makes it a bit harder to read a thread. I guess it could be cause I'm not used to the design
    edited December 2003
    Shorty wrote:
    Ive not added it ;) I will once I have final defacto code from Jelsoft. So you will just have to be patient :p

Quickly now, before I go and get used to it or something... :p
    edited December 2003
    Its a totally new design, different from what you are used to.. so it will take some small time to adjust ;)

Its different for me.. Ive been looking at this for the last 25 days ;D

No rating or award system. It's been discussed and is a no-no.. so Il find something else ;)
    edited December 2003
    [*]There's something which I don't know that just makes it a bit harder to read a thread. I guess it could be cause I'm not used to the design
    [/list]

Same here. I think it is because when you read from post to post you have to go past a members name/avatar/etc plus their signature. Which to me, breaks up the individual posts quite a bit.
    edited December 2003
    Quickly now, before I go and get used to it or something... :p
    Nope... get used to it ;)

Jelsoft havent decided exactly on the gold code element.. I see no sense hacking it in.. when it will be default in the next update :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    OOH, I like this. Only one small request: Is it possible to have the forum/thread link at the bottom of the thread page as it was in the previous VB version? I enjoyed the convenience of accessing the main thread link at the bottom of the page without having to scroll to the top to find it.
    edited December 2003
    Il work something in for you Leo :)
    edited December 2003
    Where can we find post count? :confused:

I know it used to be in a members profile, but I don't even see it there anymore.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2003
    Milestones need to be taken off of the new posts.

And yes the "Short-Media Forums > Hardware Forums >" tree needs to be at the bottom as well. One of my quirks on AMDMBforums is that you have to click on the forum jump to go back to the forum you cam from or scroll to the top.

Lookin good Shorty:)
    edited December 2003
    In answer to both questions...

Post count is completely removed now. Where as before it was sort of visible, it is completely removed :) We never wanted/used it anyway ;)

The nav bar will return at the bottom later on today :)

I now need to go off and do some SQL stuff, some general maintenance.. and other bits and bobs. So il reread this thread in a few hours :)
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Quick thought: With all the empty space beside the ava/name, what about moving sigs up top beside them? Or allowing "partial" sigs up there and regular below? Actually, as I type this, I think it's a terrible idea =P but I'll leave it here in case anyone wants to discuss.

Loving the new design, as noted it's also much quicker to load. Props.
    edited December 2003
    Shorty wrote:
    Post count is completely removed now. Where as before it was sort of visible, it is completely removed :) We never wanted/used it anyway ;)

I understand the reasoning for hiding it in a members profile(instead of having on their posts) but it was always nice to look it up to feed the "curiosity" of how many posts you had. Not to be used for bragging rights or to make you above others for having more posts, just was nice to know.