670 and the 7970

stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member
edited September 2012 in Hardware
is it true the 7970 is FASTER then 670???

http://www.hwcompare.com/12508/geforce-gtx-670-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598

i cant make up my mind of those 2 cards

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Yes, in most gaming situations the 7970 is the leader at this time.
  • stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member
    edited September 2012
    would you go for the 7970 over the 670?

i just like the 7970 with the lifetime warrenty from XFX that is all

i been through so many forums looking at this 2 so many people choosed 670
    I would not, but that is completely unrelated to gaming performance, especially with that sweet lifetime warranty. I consistently choose Nvidia cards because folding at home has insanely high performance while maintaining extremely low processor use, compared to the current folding performance of any AMD card that takes an entire CPU core to itself, regardless of speed. That is unacceptable to me and has nothing to do with AMD and everything to do with the highly optimized CUDA code and poorly optimized OpenCL code from F@H devs.
  • @Stealth1111 - How many monitors? What resolution? What games? Folding? Stereoscopic 3D fascinating to you? Does your motherboard support Crossfire / SLI or both?
  • stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member

@Stealth1111 - How many monitors? What resolution? What games? Folding? Stereoscopic 3D fascinating to you? Does your motherboard support Crossfire / SLI or both?

1 monitor , 1920 X 1080 , #1 Battlefield 3 + more motherborad supports both

i might go for the 7950 to save some $$ or any more Nvidia choices

any ideas?
  • If you are sticking with a single monitor at 1080P for the foreseeable future, I could actually see saving some money and going down a notch. On Battlefiled 3 on a single monitor 1080P the difference between a 7870 and 7950 at high detail with some AA and AF enabled is going to be about 4 FPS. Both cards will run it around monitor refresh, so it's not an issue. With an available crossfire space to grow on, I'd say just spend $239 (prices just dropped again) on a nice Radeon 7870 GHz edition, and save the next couple months to get a second one if you really feel the need, but for single monitor gaming you should not require it.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Many people chose the 670 because for the longest time it was cheaper than a 7970. ($399 vs $479) and at release date the 670 was pitted against the 7950. AMD has had a couple price drops since the GTX 6xx releases.

Basically the 670 is 95% as fast as the 7970 overall. Yes each wins certain benchmarks.

Both are great deals at $399. Both will do 4 monitors out of the box, unless you get one of the special 6 display 7970's.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    now if you want 90-95% performance of a GTX 670, get a GTX 660 Ti for $299 :)
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    This seems like a decent place to ask. Is there a difference in form-factor between PCI Express 2.0 and 3.0? I'd like to upgrade my system gradually, starting with the graphics card (I think I'm running a GeForce 8800), but if there's a difference I might have to rethink a bit.
    Same connector, better backend.
    Coolness. Thanks :D
    Also looking at SSDs now, too. Considering the Samsung 830 series 256GB, largely because it comes with a copy of Ghost which will solve my question of "how do I start using it without reinstalling a system that didn't come with an OS disk..." If not for that, I'd probably get the OCZ Vertex 4.
    shwaip said:
    Due to cutting the write performance by nearly half, but I'm not sure how often you'll hit that in day-to-day usage. I'd go for the mentioned OCZ V4 if buying today.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Casper is free ghost. Works exactly the same.
    edited September 2012
    Thrax, you rock so hard. Thank you :D
    Looks like I'll go for that V4 then. Now then, time to figure out all these GT/GTX/GTS/6xx/5xx/etc etc things... I miss the simple days when all you had to do was see if the numbers were bigger, and then see if the price was too high :(
    That is still the case. You do not want to purchase a non-GTX branded card from Nvidia. Radeon HD's work the same way as well.

Recommendation based on budget, but current high end is GTX 600-series and HD 79XX
    Oh, alrighty then. There's a decent deal on a GTX650 that I might go for cause cheap. Might spring for a 660, or a 660Ti, though. Not sure yet since I might be sticking with my PCI Express 2.0 for a while longer...
    Don't let 2.0 be a factor in the decision. All 3.0 spec devices are required to be backwards compatible, and a lot of stuff won't even saturate that (yet). There are some huge performance gains to get by jumping up to the 660/Ti (that is really a sweet performance/$ spot) and I know you'll be folding for the greater good (THE GREATER GOOD!), so you'll want the sweet sweet CUDA cores.
    I actually haven't folded since college...I've had a few system changes and completely forgot =/
    I should do that.
    And alright, I'll take your advice. Thanks for the help (and sorry about the thread hijack @stealth1111 XD )