Borderlands 2 is here

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Gaming
It's the perfect sequel. I feel like I've never stopped playing Borderlands, and for such a great game, that's all I wanted out of the sequel: take what was so awesome, and give me more.

Theironhandardichoke

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    It's not just that. It's like you got to the next season and they got a bigger budget. Everything's polished, things flow better, most of the little nit-picks I had from the first game have been fixed. I don't care for the fact that it's so easy to stop voice-overs accidentally (and people talking over them kinda sucks, too), but I also realize I'll probably be playing this through a few times...so it's all good.

The only problem I see is it's going to be very difficult to go back to the first game, now. I'm going to do it, cause there's a couple people I need to play through with, but I know it's going to feel like driving an 83 Chevy pickup after getting used to a 2012 Mustang.

So, has Icrontic been sticking to M+K, or has anyone picked up a controller and given that a go yet? I'm kinda thinking about doing the controller thing for a while, just to see how it feels. Almost all my experience with the first game was on the 360, so going to M+K on the first always felt a bit off...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I played for about 30 mins last night M+K, but am very tempted to go controller route as well. They did improve the "clickability" of the interface, so there is a lot less movement of hands back and forth, to hit Enter, for example.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    So. Much. Gun.
  • Ugh, I played it for almost an hour before coming in to work today. It's going to be a loooong day. I'd rather be pursuing Handsome Jack.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    "What is your favorite quote from the game?" EVERYTHING!!

The only thing I nit-pick about this game is the customization seems a bit too set for my tastes, but that is a very picky pick since I am satisfied with it anyways.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    What are you referring to? Having 30 different preset color sets for the outfits?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Yeah and however many you can unlock as well. It' s great variety, but as a designer, I'd like to hand pick what colors go where. Again it's a picky pick about a feature that I am satisfied with regardless.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    All of you that are playing it already, I hate you all!! C'mon 3:30!!
    I waited up specifically for the release time. Ily and I jumped in and started wailing on crap (holy poopbeans, they really don't pull punches right from the get-go), and then Black Hawk randomly jumped in and made it that much more awesome. I foresee a future where Icrontians almost never play with less than three people unless they so choose.

I'm kinda curious to see how character level and quest progression are handled with jumping in and out of games. I'm hoping it's at least a bit more elegant than before.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    The game is absolutely amazing, last night @Blackhawk, @Midga, and I rocked Pandora inside out from midnight to 2:30am. (At which point I went to sleep because I have 8:00am lectures xP )

Everything about it is so much better than the first, the menus are smoother, motion feels more animated (Running and jumping in the beginning just to see my arms flailing was hilarious) Borderlands 2 is all that I imagined and so much more even the special abilities feel smoother than their original components. (I'm also glad that they changed some of the classes up the way they did without making it too much of a shakeup, I feel a lot more useful playing as Axton in both a damage and support role than I ever did as Roland.)

The customization options are neat and I love the fact that I can have a hat as opposed to the original game where it was merely colour schemes.

As someone who started with BL on the PC the M+K controls are a LOT more polished than they were before and I doubt I'll be using a controller, if only because the switch, to me would feel out of place.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    My controls:
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Hey, @Ilriyas ~
    BUTT STALLION

This game is amazing. It's everything I'd hoped it would be, and more. It's pretty well-optimized too, for a 2012 game. They've really busted their asses on the PC version this time.

Something I truly adore is that they've done so MUCH to differentiate the guns now. The manufacturers now not only have completely different design aesthetics (right down to the names, even), but each manufacturer now has different effects for their guns.

I mean, Tediore guns, to reload them, you THROW THEM AWAY. And they -explode-, putting a fresh one in your hands.

In pretty much every single way, this game is a leaps-and-bounds improvement over the original, and I -loved- the original. It's everything I could have wished for.

...also, Handsome Jack? I adore entertaining villians like him. So much fun.
    midga
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I still think Knoxx was the best villain.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I loved the idea behind Tediore guns, until I got into the habit of reloading early every chance I got, which with Tediore wastes A LOT of ammo.

I have been using Jakobs and Maliwan for the most part.

Favorite quote so far "ButtStallion"
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Also there is apparently a pretty blatant cheat you can do if you got the pre-order bonuses. I'd put it here, but I don't know how to hide it.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    CrazyJoe and I played for a couple of hours last night and the whole time i think i just kept saying, "This game is awesome!"
    They did a great job on the refinement of the game. Details like how you see when a person is looking at a menu (you see a HUD displayed in front of them) and even when you die (you are broken down into digital information transmitted to the new you station and recompiled).
    Also, GUNS!
  • I totally need a diamond pony named ButtStallion
    pigflipperCrazyJoe
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    I killed a whole bunch of Bonerfarts last night. It was hilarious.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

I totally need a diamond pony named ButtStallion

I concur!! So do I!

I have a diamond pony, but her name isn't ButtStallion. She calls me that sometimes, though. ;)
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Perhaps my favorite new feature is the ability to inspect your guns. I used to have to drop the gun on the floor, kneel, and use a scoped weapon to look at its finer details (such as re-creating a revolver pistol for my IC Oktoberfest 2011 Mordecai costume). So much easier now that we can rotate, zoom, and pan to see them in all their digital glory.

Hey, don't look at me like that. I can't help that I like to admire my beauties that go boom.
    KoreishmidgaBHHammy
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

Perhaps my favorite new feature is the ability to inspect your guns. I used to have to drop the gun on the floor, kneel, and use a scoped weapon to look at its finer details (such as re-creating a revolver pistol for my IC Oktoberfest 2011 Mordecai costume). So much easier now that we can rotate, zoom, and pan to see them in all their digital glory.

Hey, don't look at me like that. I can't help that I like to admire my beauties that go boom.

I actually totally discovered the feature by accident, but I TOTALLY agree with you.

I'm kiiind of a weapons fiend with games like these. Being able to inspect my momentary collection in as much detail as I want makes me SO happy.

Just another way that Borderlands 2 is heads and shoulders over it's (still amazing) previous entry.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm having really low frame rates on this game for some unknown reason.

I'm running on a 6850, and an AMD 8120 processor. I have basically turned everything down and started reducing resolution.

Any ideas?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Are you running Cat 12.7 beta with CAP3?
    Cat 12.7?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Catalyst 12.7 driver.
    Fix'd
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    A lovely tea party

Dook hut. No fapping.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian