Patterns brings physics and triangles to a new game inspired by Minecraft

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    This looks really cool.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I signed up for the beta. I like the addition of things like material durability and the eventual inclusion of sane liquids.

Can't wait to get my DL.
  • ThraxRobert Hallock 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Garry's Minecraft.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Holy buttnipples, Batplug. I'm in like something that rhymes with in.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Seems awesome.
  • I see no mention of multiplayer, only sharing via Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'd imagine if there's plans for multiplayer (and consider who's doing it I'd say that's very likely), they'll be doing that later. That is, if I was doing this, the alpha sure as hell wouldn't be multiplayer right out of the box cause one problem at a time. I'd be surprised if it wasn't multi sometime during the beta phase.
    Pretty sure multiplayer is in the plans. One of the articles I read about it (TechCrunch, I think, but I can't find it ATM) mentioned it.

Also, it's Linden Labs (SecondLife), so if it's not multiplayer, that would be a huge oversight.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Not sure how this will do. I like the idea of physics, but part of the appeal of Minecraft (at least to me) is its geometric simplicity. Adding the complexity of polygons may render the game too cumbersome for most casual gamers.

Even my 10-year-old nephew quickly picked up Minecraft. I'm not sure if the masses will dive into this.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Is that 10 USD or 10 L$?
    AlexDeGruvenmidga
    Depends on the exchange rate of L$ to $USD. I paid $10USD.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

Not sure how this will do. I like the idea of physics, but part of the appeal of Minecraft (at least to me) is its geometric simplicity. Adding the complexity of polygons may render the game too cumbersome for most casual gamers.

Even my 10-year-old nephew quickly picked up Minecraft. I'm not sure if the masses will dive into this.

I don't think the polygons will be a turn off to many. 10-year-old nephews are not really the target demographic. The addition of physics and discrete objects is really a big deal. As much as I like Minecraft, the blocks don't really make a world. Building isn't a challenge. It's no more difficult than drawing the building in a rudimentary drawing app. In fact, that's what lots of the buildings ended up being: Sprite mapped illustrations. The only challenge of the game was finding the resources, and that eventually becomes trivial as well.

Patterns makes the act of construction part of the challenge. Think about how you would have to go about building something as simple as a sprite-art tower when you have to worry about structural support?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

I see no mention of multiplayer, only sharing via Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

The developer mentions that multi-player, procedurally generated worlds (it's currently a set starting world), and avatar creation are on the list.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Nuked my original post because it has to do with the developer, and not the actual game itself.

Linden Labs lax policies on getting their devs to bugfix things don't inspire a ton of confidence in myself, but the game looks good. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
  • BHHammy said:

Mojang lax policies on getting their devs to bugfix things don't inspire a ton of confidence in myself, but the game looks good. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

It works both ways.