Looking for quality speakers for wife's PC

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
I have a set of Klipsch Promedia 4.1's for my main PC's sound setup running through an HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card. My wife has always envied the sound quality and I am looking to do something for her. Her current setup uses on-board sound from a Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 and Edifier 2.1 speakers. The Edifier 2.1 is a great audio setup but not in the same league as my Promedia 4.1. I've been looking at a new Logitec Z906 speaker system as a possibility for her since you can't buy new 4.1 or 5.1 Klipsch anymore. Ebay lists a couple 5.1 Klipsch setups for sale, but I am concerned about ending up with abused or beat up gear. Has anyone heard the Z906 and is it comparable to Klipsch in sound quality? Is there any other 4.1-5.1 speaker setup I should also consider that wouldn't disappoint when compared to Klipsch? THX!

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I have a Klipsch ProMedia GMX D 5.1 that you might be interested in. I upgraded from it to a discrete home theater system and don't really have a use for it anymore. It's used but I think it's in pretty good condition. ICPM me if you're interested.
  • I've never felt there was much value in desktop surround speakers. I prefer a good stereo image for my application which is 90% music through the speakers, when I game I mostly wear my headset.

It may not be for her, but I'm considering getting one of these little Class T desktop amplifiers so I can drive any pair of stereo speakers I want. It opens up a whole world of possibilities if your main application is stereo music.
  • The Z906 is not even close to Klipsch. The Edifier 2.1 system is actually probably much better than you actually hear, being crippled by the SUCK that is Realtek onboard sound. (But depends which model exactly.) Good enough that they have two models I'd consider for casual listening.
    As you already know, HT Omega kicks ass, takes name, and goes loud. Put the 2.1's on the Striker, see how they sound before throwing good money after bad. Chances are the better investment is a proper sound card.

By which I mean: give her your Striker 7.1 for the Edifiers and use the money you just saved to buy yourself a Claro Halo XT.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    Looks like drasnor and I are working out a deal on his GMX D 5.1's (I could use another set of speakers for one of my other PC's anyway) but also I am looking at discrete sound cards. Her on-board sound is Realtek ALC889. I've read a little about that chipset and it appears to be a good one. Agree/disagree? As far as giving her my HT Omega Striker, I have learned it is best to give your lady better than what you have so that means giving her something like the Claro XT RootWyrm suggested while I keep the Striker. I also found this, but ouch, that is expensive!: http://www.amazon.com/Edifier-USA-S550-Multimedia-Speaker/dp/B004EO6NHM
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Honestly, if you're using digital speakers all of the sound cards will sound the same. Sound quality is a function of the DACs and analog path in the speaker system in such a case. My own experiences with integrated sound are that the chipset matters a lot less than a noise-free analog implementation and that most motherboards are really bad at that. I very much like my HT Omega eClaro for high-impedance headphones but all my loudspeakers are fed by a digitally-connected home theater receiver.