Worth upgrading to Windows 8?

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
I haven't paid much if any attention to Windows 8 news so I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to it? I ask this because I actually plan on purchasing it. Shocking, I know. I know the controversy over Metro but are there performance enchantments? Is the app store any good?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    No performance enhancements for gamers or enthusiasts. The apps are good if you want tablet-style apps on your PC.
    midga
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Would you say it's like ME, XP or Vista? Are you going to use it?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I have no plans to upgrade. The forced startup in Metro mode and lack of a start button (outside of additional third-party software) kills the usability for me. I also have an MSDN subscription, meaning even at free it's not worth the upgrade.

It's a bit like Vista - it's a new version of Windows that does things differently. I'd hold off until the next version. Stick with Win7. It's the new XP - it'll be around for at least as long.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I looked at 8 here, no-go for me. I went back to my saved system image of 7.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I've been using Windows 8 for a week or so now. It's incredibly snappy, very fast and solid so far. It took me a day to get used to the minor changes. The normal Windows desktop operates as a Metro app, and so that's the one I have open all the time. It works, in almost all other ways, just like Windows 7. I understand there is an improved thread scheduler over Windows 7. I don't know anything about that, but I do know that my experience has been extremely quick; everything responds almost instantly, and boot-up time is faster.
    CBTushon
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    I'm with Brian. Took me about 45 minutes to get used to the new Start menu. Honestly, I use it just like Windows 7: press the start key or click the start button and type the thing I'm looking for, and then press enter.

It really does feel snappier. Might be placebo, but it runs really well. It's on an SSD, so I'm not sure if there's any optimization there. I have run into a few minor things that will ultimately be worked out, I'm sure. For instance, I just bought a refurb Razer Naga. Their Synpase software doesn't recognize the mouse in Windows 8. It still works as a numpad for the extra buttons, but I'd like to have that customization. Minor nitpick.

My biggest complaint would be the requirement to have at least a very basic level of UAC enabled for Metro apps to run. I hate UAC. I know how to use a PC safely, so I've always disabled it. The only "major" issue I've experienced from having it enabled, though, is that iTune requires me to start it as an Administrator. Otherwise, it doesn't have a high enough level of access to my iTunes/Music folder and won't start.

We'll see what happens from a dev perspective, but I went ahead and made the leap a couple weeks ago since I'll end up supporting it in some aspect at my company.

TL;DR: It feels snappier; Metro is "meh," but you get used to it; and wait a couple months for certain driver issues if you go beyond the typical play-and-play peripheral.
    Weird. I turned UAC off immediately (as I do with Windows 7) and haven't had any trouble that I'm aware of with Metro apps. Granted, I haven't used many (Xbox Glass, Weather, Facebook Pics, and some others), but as far as I know, UAC being off hasn't caused any issues.
    Well, I went into the local security policy and really turned it off. As it would be in Windows 7. Metro apps didn't like it. :)
  • I can verify that "certified" metro apps have to meet stricter requirements with UAC, not using "expired" Windows APIs, etc. It's a serious pain in the arse and as a developer I'm not even trying. You can't convert an app to be metro certified, you can make one from scratch.

That being said, my simple opinion is that Windows 8 is awesome. Just like Windows 7 was. I can't wait to get a Surface.
    I'm actually really looking forward to Surface. I hope it becomes a player in the tablet field.
    I'm willing to suffer through Windows 8's fucking terrible desktop/laptop experience for the raw versatility--not to mention the excellent tablet experience of Windows 8--offered by the Surface. It's very likely that I will buy a Pro.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Yeah i would be pretty intrigued to play with a Windows 8 Surface Pro. Wish it was coming out at the same time.
    The more I use Metro, the more I like it. It's actually pretty freaking cool once you start connecting accounts and getting everything integrated. I can't wait for Metro versions of some of the applications I use most often.
  • It's a testament to Windows 7 that I don't feel that compelled. 7 still a great desktop OS. I think 8 has allot of promise as a mobile OS, but time will tell.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    Same here sticking to 7 and playing a waiting game, as they say.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    I'm sticking with windows 7. I'll skip this version
  • Definitely sticking with Windows 7 for my gaming desktop and Linux errywhere else. Used 8 in a VM for a while. Found it unintuitive, clunky and the damn thing corrupted itself when doing updates which resulted in it crashing constantly from that point on. Didn't leave a good taste in my mouth. Just my 2 cents. (Cue Thrax telling me how wrong I am like always).
    And, Razer updated Synapse, so I can manage my mouse now. That was the last piece of hardware I was having "issues" with. Other than that, this desktop is snappy. I'm happy with Windows 8.
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian
    After reading the comments here, I decided to get off my butt and try Windows 8. I had downloaded the Release Candidate months ago to try in a VM, but had just rebuilt my desktop box (SSD boot drive, clean install) and haven’t reinstalled a hypervisor. I also got an SSD for my Samsung N120 netbook with the intention of installing Windows 7, but you have all been talking about 8, so I installed it on Tuesday. It is indeed snappy. Much of that is probably the SSD, but the change overall is amazing, considering the hardware. If I can get over the interface, I may buy it, since it is cheaper the Windows 7.
    edited October 2012
    even though it's a public preview i don't like the poor driver support. Also it's a gpu hog so if you can manage to get it running games that normally play at 60 fps will only see 15-25 fps.
    That is so not true, at all. I have been gaming constantly on my Windows 8 install and it runs flawlessly.
    There's really no difference between 7 and 8 for drivers, aside from a slight difference in the driver model (called "WWDM 1.2"). If anything, WDDM 1.2 makes drivers more stable and better prepared to perform GPU multi-tasking than they were in 7, but the improvement is marginal.
    I've been gaming a lot as well, and everything runs great. Even Crossfire works as it should.
    Does anyone know if I am running windows 7 on a 60gb SSD and want to upgrade to windows 8, can i do that in place on the 60 gb ssd?
    Well, Windows 8 Professional will work on a Surface Pro, according to Microsoft, and they will come with a minimum of 64 GB Flash. So, from sideways info I got looking at the Pro specs, yes. How many apps you will be able to load on your 60 GB SSD also, I do not know.

That is so not true, at all. I have been gaming constantly on my Windows 8 install and it runs flawlessly.

Well for people who have older video cards its true.

Apparently you have to have 20gigs free space to install Windows 8, which is impossible for me on a 60 gig drive with Windows 7 installed. So now I have the option to format the drive, but I have the upgrade version of Windows 8 so that won't work either. Am I suck?
    Catch 22 I did not know about, sorry. Looks like you need to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.
    Haven't used upgrade media in a while. Can't you kick off the install from the media as a fresh install, and it will detect the previous version?
    I selected new install keep nothing option, but it still complained about the space requirement.