Buying a Cable Modem

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Hardware
As I'm sure you Comcast users have noticed, they're now charging us a $7/month fee to rent a cable modem. I figure I can buy a decent one to use for years for about 8-10 months of renting this generic thing from Comcast. Before I do so, I come to my lovely Icrontic with a few questions:

1) Can I use my own cable modem with Comcast? Does anyone currently do this? Are they bitches about it?

2) Do features for a cable modem even matter? Or is it like buying a switch in that pretty much anything will get you where you need to be and frankly, you'll never notice the difference?

3) Any recs? Preferably something that I can purchase though IC affiliate links because I'm a nice lady like that.

4) I'm taking suggestions for my avatar just to give this thread a little more goodness. I so rarely start threads.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    DOCSIS 3.0 or 2.1?

I have the Cisco DPC3000 DOCSIS 3.0 currently

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    My current modem is this guy, I believe. So DOCSIS 3.0. Is the DOCSIS version controlled by the modem? Or somewhere further up the chain?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Look for a DOCSIS 3 modem capable of supporting 8 bonded channels. That will put you in the best position to receive any potential free speed upgrades for the foreseeable future.
  • http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122009

You can use an affiliate link for that, and that should work fine with Comcast. I use the earlier model surfboard with Charter to avoid "lease" fees as well:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122011

It really makes more sense to spend the extra couple bucks on the first one though, it will last you probably 5 years.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I'm interested in doing this too. Here's a list of compatible modems from comcast:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Just fair warning: Sometimes they are bitches about it. If you have connectivity issues, a lot of times when they find out you have a non-Comcast modem they'll be like "shrug, not our problem". You have to insist and be extra forceful on tech support calls. They're kind of dicks.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Just fair warning: Sometimes they are bitches about it. If you have connectivity issues, a lot of times when they find out you have a non-Comcast modem they'll be like "shrug, not our problem". You have to insist and be extra forceful on tech support calls. They're kind of dicks.
    this is why I bought the modem my ISP uses :)
    Right, but they can ping it and tell immediately that it's not theirs.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I'm currently using my own modem with Comcast. It's a Motorola (I'll try and find the correct model when I get home) and I've not had any complaints from them about using my own. I bought it when I was in Hagerstown with Antietam. So far the only problem I've had is occasionally having to cycle power to the modem to force an update.
  • Just fair warning: Sometimes they are bitches about it. If you have connectivity issues, a lot of times when they find out you have a non-Comcast modem they'll be like "shrug, not our problem". You have to insist and be extra forceful on tech support calls. They're kind of dicks.
    Isn't that the case any time you call their support even if you do have one of their modems though? I know my coworkers all have stories of Comcast saying either "not our problem" or "there isn't a problem" even when they are using Comcast equipment and there very clearly is a problem. One of them had to go so far as to set up smokeping at home so he could confront Comcast with hard data about their network problems in his area and they still didn't want to believe him.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'm patiently waiting for TWC to roll this out.
  • I've used my own modem with Comcast for a a good bit of time now. Service and support hasn't been an issue. Granted, I've only lost internet once at my current location.

The only issue I had was them not removing the rental charge on my bill. Then they would remove it, and it would reappear. So keep your eye on that.

Otherwise, you're in good shape.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I have also used my own modem with Comcast. I have been using Zoom modems for years, even decades, with Comcast. My last Zoom was a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. However, I switched to a Motorola SB6121 with only a phone call to give Comcast the MAC address, and unplugging the modem from the router temporarily during setup let them set it up quickly. They got the modem serial number from the modem itself.

I did not get a SB6120 as the SB 6121 has been out for about 9 months now, and has a Comcast three star Cert rating while the SB6120 has a one star Cert rating and is an older modem model. This info is from Comcast's modem compatibility list.

I also found the modem on sale at Best Buy's website for $90.94 USD, and had two $10.00 Best Buy gift cards from Christmas time, so got the modem for a net of $70.94 (including tax, no shipping as I picked it up at the local store). I do not know if Best Buy still has it on sale, thier normal price for the modem is about $110.00 pre-tax and pre-shipping.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    Tushon said:

I'm patiently waiting for TWC to roll this out.

Your wait is over my friend. This.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Yep. I just had to buy a modem to use with my TWC service in Cinci.
    comcast + SB6121 here, no issues. Saving something like $5-8 per month. May or may not have made back my initial spending on the modem by now.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I brought my modem from PR. Do I have to call Comcast so they can have the modem's info or can I just hook it up?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You can try just hooking it up, but you might need to call to get the MAC address swapped.
    I have Comcast and had to call them to get the Motorola SB6121 I bought to work, but I was switching from a different modem-- upgraded service and needed a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for the speed I was buying. Note that Comcast often wants DOCSIS 3.0 modems now, older DOCSIS 2.0 modems are being obsoleted.
    yes, you have to call them if you buy your own modem. you need to give them some number off the box/modem.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    It's a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem that's less than a year old.

OT: Bah. Forgot my Comcast password which I only used when I set up the Internet. Anyone know the password requirements?
    Edit: The actual account is in my gf's name, she's asleep and I'm impatient. I want to know how much the next speed upgrade would cost.
    about 10-15 dollars a month, depending on if you're on a discounted rate already
    Well, call them on the phone and offer them the MAC address off the bottom of your modem, see if they can take it from there-- if they have problems and cannot see the modem, the MAC address will help them find it on their network. Also ask them how to recover your password while you have them on the phone-- they might tell you they will email you a reset link, or tell you where to go to logon and click the "lost password" link instead of logging on.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    The SB6121 is one of only two modems approved for both Comcast biznis class and home Internet usage, and it's like $75 at Costco if you have a membership.

You may need to tweet at Comcastcares to have it correctly provisioned because their Tier1 staff are fuckups of the highest caliber.
    or you call them, spend 30s reading them the number and you're good.
  • My experience with comcast is you go through the website to reauthorize a new mac address, and in some areas you have to use some lousy exe file to do it which will install a toolbar and change all your browsers homepages. Standard operating procedure.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    shwaip said:

or you call them, spend 30s reading them the number and you're good.

I've done that with 3 clients and each time, tier 1 couldn't get the thing provisioned after an hour. Comcastcares took 30 seconds. It may be the regional call center I'm routed to, I don't know. Either way, I've since skipped calling anyone on the phone and I always hit their twitter support first.
    Comcast is nothing if not totally inconsistent :D
  • Comcast needs to get more fiber in their diet.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

Comcast needs to get more fiber in their diet.

Every carrier in the US does.