old hardware tinkering

ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
ok, i came across two old motherboards, one being a "socket 775 asus p5pe-vm" and another being a "socket 775 asrock conroe1333-d667 rev. 2.0". then i came across another chip, a celeron wolfdale 45nm, e3300 socket 775 2.5ghz default fsb800. now yes its a celeron, but these are one of the most easily oc'able celerons out there, and reports on the net say that it EASILY hits 3.6ghz easy WITHOUT changes in voltage or cooling. both mainboards i know are flashed to the latest firmwares and are already set at fsb800. the question i'm having is can i safely slap the cpu in the 775 without cooking anything? i heard just 'cause the socket fits, doesn't mean it will work. i just want to know if i can safely boot up at stock on any of these two boards and then if i can boot at stock i want to oc the crap out of this chip. at stock, its as fast as an athlon ii x2 240 (which isn't bad). as an amd-er i haven't had 'much' experience with intel chips, but this could really be a nice/decent experimental machine. would anything bad happen?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Without some warrranty on parts, unless you can afford to lose stuff that is almost free, I would avoid investing much in stuff that old. If you got it free and have the right power supply, then sure, try the stuff if you can keep it cool. Yes you can slap it in carefully, but what happens next is up to the parts. You will need what else goes in any system, things like RAM, etc.

I get get jumped on when I write books, but can chime in to questions some safely here.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    theres no warranty, and these parts are just lying around-i don't need to spend anything, i'm just asking what would happen. i have a more than powerful enough power supply. thats not a problem, my question is if theres anyone on icrontic that has experience with similar intel sockets and tinkering it would be great. i have 4gb of kingston very good ram. the only issue here is the cpu and the sockets.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    CPU should either run or not run rather than destroying parts if bad. So tinkering givne not spending money should be ok. Motherboard could be damaged, but two damaged probably less chance of CPU being bad. If CPU does NOT run on both, probably more likely bad CPU than two bad motherboards. Running a bad CPU on a motherboard, should not lastingly damage motherboard, as CPU is software processor at bottom. ASRock makes industry boards, tends to be more durable overall than manymfrs -- would try it first.

None of what I can say without a lot of testing and info is absolute, seen exceptions to ALL I've said in 36 years of tinkering and playing and building systems some also. So no, cannot say yes absolutely, but with what you say about known good stuff, probably ok to try tinkering. I keep a fire extinguisher handy and tinker in garage. But I have seen some Intel Celerons run over ten years.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You won't roast anything, but you'll need to look at the BIOS update history for these boards to see if they ever added Wolfdale support.
    @thrax, the conroe has wolfdale support listed official site says "all dual core wolfdales are supported except quads. funny how the celeron came out in 3rd quarter 09 while the bios update is like 2007 or something.", but the cpu is not on the "official cpu list", both boards are on latest bios firmwares. the asus on the other hand, is an older chipset. i checked the voltages and both boards has the same voltage ranges as 65mn chips with the exception the 45nm celeron e3300 is a wee bit lower. i did this on an amd before, ran a barton on a palomino board and it worked, though the bios was outdated. when booting the pc, (it was fast) it said CPU: "unknown CPU type" but it displayed the frequency just not the name.
    oh the cpu is good and working well. i am 100% sure.
    what would happen if you put the cpu into a board that doesn't support wolfdale thrax? (but same socket, fsb, voltage etc)
    omg it *bleep*in' works, wow the celeron e3300 works in the 775 asus p5pe-vm! according to the manual, the board can go all the way to 3.8ghz, thx now if i can only find either the jumper or the bios setting to overclock this b***h. although i think the e3300 celeron, will be hamstringed by the 2gb ddr1.....oh well if it doesn't work i will try it on the asrock conroe board. thanks everyone for your inputs!
    Annes
    ins4n17y said:

what would happen if you put the cpu into a board that doesn't support wolfdale thrax? (but same socket, fsb, voltage etc)

system just wouldn't boot.

Thrax said:

ins4n17y said:

system just wouldn't boot.

well it boot, considering your advice that i wouldn't cook anything, i tried it on the asrock conroe1333-ddr667 r2 and it worked just fine, but on the other board that i know doesn't support it, it boots but says "cpu microcode error" everythings fine and works, just runs at 1.2ghz.
    Yeah, that just means it doesn't know how to read the FSB and multipliers programmed into the chip with a hex value (the "cpu microcode").
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    I ran a Celeron e3200 @ 3.4 GHz all day for a couple years and was really happy with it. That was with mid-range cooling, so if you've got something fancier, 3.6 could be doable.
    i'm at 3.8 right now. no change in voltage. stock cooler.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    heh. 'old'.