Mac to PC and back to Mac again

KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it.KCMO Icrontian
I think this is going to be more of a question for Mac users but PCers feel free to jump in.

My father is trying to enter some photos he took into a contest; part of the submitting criteria is that submitted photos must be unlocked.

In the past when dad tried needed to burn CDs he would put them on a zip drive and give them to me to burn. All would be well. Now it keeps saying that the photos are locked. I have no idea what this means as my mother, father, and I can all open the files. Mother and I have been able to do with them as we please but Dad is functioning under this mysterious lock. After having googled how to unlock files we went to the get information panel to unlock the photos but according to that very same panel they were already unlocked. Even burning the unlocked files directly from the mac to a CD then re-opening the CD it says the photos are locked.

Is there a way to unlock the photos we haven't tried?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, what specifically is telling you the photos are locked? Can you and your mother edit the files?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    There isn't a pop-up or anything like that. At the top of the window that the photo is in it has the Name of the picture then - Locked. This only appears on my dad's mac.

Me and my mother can both edit the photos.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I'm not a MAC guy, just testing my Google Foo...

Something with Time Machine locking X time after an edit?

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/locked_havent_made_changes_recently_error_mac_os_x_lion.html

-Digi
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    Yeah I saw that too. That's the only thing I think it can be. Dad is unsure when the last time he did anything with the photos so this seems to me the most likely cause. We had tried clicking the unlock option on one of the burned CDs and the Mac prompts us to make a duplicate which it then places on his desktop rather than in a folder on the CD.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Even PCs make photos and some other files read-only by default when they are burned to CDs or DVDs and the CD is then finalized/locked so no further changes can be made. So, you CAN on a MAC have a file read-only and it might say locked as the PC equivalent of locked on the MAC. Depending on how old the OS version is on the MAC, it might have a bug where the info dialog says one thing and the file box says another. Is the file saved to desktop from a CD that is unlocked from CD named the same as the CD file? Or did the MAC change the file name when it copied it to the desktop?

You might build a CD and not lock it/finalize it, and see if the files are unlocked per the MAC and your PCs. This is more complex to do than what may be defaulted for your dad's MAC's OS-- the OS might be finalizing the CD by default. I do not know how to do this on a MAC. @Lincoln , do you know how to make a sessioned CD on a MAC without finalizing it?