looking for laptop/desktop deal for around 800.

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
I need to get a new computer, either a laptop or desktop is fine.

I want something in the 800 dollars range, are there any good deals out there?

Is it better to just get a laptop or building a desktop for around 800?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Over the long term, desktops have been cheaper bang-for-buck than laptops and tend to run cooler to boot. Building, if you buy real careful, can get you a unique to you machine, but Dell and HP make some decent general-purpose machines as cheap as they can be built in contrast to self-building .

If you want to game, things change toward custom-building making sense.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    just casual gaming, nothing serious.
    Well, for $800.00 you can build a decent AMD a10 system or buy one pre-built. Details I will leave more to the AMD crowd.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I'd start with something like this and adjust as desired:

CPU: AMD A10-5800K
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4
    RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    PSU: SeaSonic 650W Modular
    Case: NZXT Gamma

Total before shipping: $689.94
    Windows 8 is $40 from Microsoft.

If, later, you decide a discrete GPU is desired, there's enough room on that PSU for just about any card you want to add.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    *Windows 8 is $40 if you're upgrading from a valid Windows 7 license. If you need a new copy, it's $70
    ahh, valid windows 7 license, i see.

looks like 800 is not gonna get me very far for building a desktop, since i would need the whole nine yard. Monitor, keyboard, mouse........
    Laptops that are cheap do not yet really game well unless you get a Christmas special deal.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    Processor: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz $129.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H $99.99
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 $34.99
    Storage: Asus DRW-24B1ST $19.99
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $84.99
    Audio: Integrated $0
    Enclosure: Antec Three Hundred $54.99
    Power supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W $44.99

Total : $469.93

OPTIONAL:
    Graphics: MSI Radeon HD 7770 $124.99
    SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB $89.99
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nRiC gets you a whole PC for $880 including shipping and rebates. I had to lower storage and memory, but added a video card. You can drop that $110 off and try it without the video card first for a PC that fits under your stated number.
    i have not been up to date with current pc hardwars for the past 4 years. What would adding another 200 into my budget get me? Would it be much more of an improvemen over 800 budget performance, or would be not be too much bang for the buck?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    IMO, 200 more would get you quite a bit of power, yes. Plenty of room for discrete GPU, etc.
    yeah, the price I quoted there at $470 will be close to your budget with decent monitor, mouse, keyboard (depending on your preferences). Upping the budget just allows you to toss in the video card and SSD. Totally worth it really.
    For modern gaming, core of system is GPU, Fast RAM(1600 to 1866) and FAST HD (SSD a bonus here), AND CPU.

For most other things, CPU comes first, GPU last. SSD will make game more snappy and fast reacting with other three things in system. 8-16 GB RAM is considered gaming spec.

Some HINTS:
    Do not buy too much monitor unless you plan to upgrade GPU down the line.
    Most if not all mice are USB 2.0, ditto for keyboards. USB 3.0 is a bonus for use with a USB 3.0 external HDD for backup/extra storage(option down the line).
    another question, purely spec-wise.
    How is this laptop for 750?

IdeaPad Y480 Laptop - 2093B7U

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 6MB)

Windows 8 64

NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB

8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

14.0" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768

Industry Standard Touchpad

1TB 5400 rpm

DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

6 Cell Li-Polymer

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200BGN

Bluetooth Version 4.0

One year

Notebook

Integrated HD Camera

HDMI (Out)
    Screen is smaller than what you would buy for a desktop usually and is lower resolution to boot, HD will be quite slow, RAM decent but not extremely fast. Other than that I like it!
    For that price, the laptop is pretty solid. However, the gaming experience that you'll get for the 800 (possibly +200) is leaps and bounds better.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nY2z tweaked to change SSD to 256GB and add 1TB storage drive and a CPU cooler (not necessary if you aren't overclocking and assuming that this processor comes with one) comes out to 1026 after rebates/shipping. You can drop that price by going with 128GB SSD and reducing/removing extra storage if not needed. You can also increase the GPU spend and future proof more with that change.
    Tushon said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nY2z tweaked to change SSD to 256GB and add 1TB storage drive and a CPU cooler (not necessary if you aren't overclocking and assuming that this processor comes with one) comes out to 1026 after rebates/shipping. You can drop that price by going with 128GB SSD and reducing/removing extra storage if not needed. You can also increase the GPU spend and future proof more with that change.

Thanks for the help.

Is there any reason for going AMD than Intel in the same price range?

Looks like i need to tweak the build some more to how i like it (eg. i want a bigger monitor than the 20)
    AMD only really offers value in that price range if you're not going to use a discreet GPU. If you are going to get a video card, you should go with the Core i3-3220, as it performs better in every aspect and has a much smaller power envelope.