Why id Software's RAGE is going to suck

1235»

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Doom 3 wasn't even passable. It was a completely forgettable gaming experience. I played about halfway through it, lost my save files to a reformat (this was when I was in college and not versed in the fu of backups) and felt no particular loss. Never even attempted to go back and play it through again. With most games that I've half completed, even the not-so-great ones, if I lost my saves I'd be furious.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'll concede that Doom 3 was the beginning of id's fall from grace, I think we all agree on that.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I kind of thought Doom 3 was ok, but I'm a sucker for pretty lighting engines and creepy games. But, you were totally right, HL2 blew it away in every single department.

That's a really, really good post, Cliff. It asses nearly every important thing that id has brought to the table. That's why I wrote this article - when you consider just how important id has been to the progression of PC gaming (and in turn, gaming in general), having them bail on the platform because they're butthurt is a huge problem. Sure, they're less relevant and innovative these days, but it still hurts.

I totally agree on the importance of Quake 2, also. Another big point of Q2 - it was one of the most widely used, if not the most widely used, game engines. Q2 was the first major example of 3D engine adoption to other developers.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    It asses

Teehee
    edited October 2011
    Not even going to fix that one. Nope.
  • edited November 2011
    Having read this article AFTER completing RAGE and AFTER 1 year of its writing, I can whole heartedly agree with everything.

The game just is a letdown. I had to do a mad scramble to update my ATI(I mean AMD) drivers for my 6900. The game turned on and stuttered every 5 seconds, after the video patches, I maxed everything out, and it looked like a bad Console port. Graphic options lacking, it even has the stupid "don't turn your computer off - saving" message that annoys the shit out of me (stupid consoles!)
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    This is the second correct prediction that has come to reality this week by Lynxtradamus.

The omniscient Lynx tells all truth.

Can...can you predict when I'm going to die??

OK now time to get serious, I really wish I had joined this forum a year ago or at the very least read the article. Rage was a terrible mess, true it was fun for like an hour (Literally I got out of the prologue and said 'the hell I do now?') but after that hour I felt like I was playing a crappy FO3. Now don't get me wrong I love Post-Apocalyptic settings but the whole thing screamed FO the whole time.

I like to play RPGs because I can give the character their own personality or at the very least I can play a game where the character feels to some extent like a PERSON the whole time I was playing Rage I felt like I was a cardboard cut out of a brick wall (Its a silly relation I know) the characters there were, were never around long enough for me to find any of them interesting and at least on my Xbox the controls felt clunky and unresponsive.

Don't even get me started on textures and the like.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    This article is probably why Bethesda won't give us a review copy of Skyrim THANKS BOBBY
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Bobby a dick?
    edited November 2011
    This article is probably why Bethesda won't give us a review copy of Skyrim THANKS BOBBY

Maybe if you asked them REALLY nicely they'd give you a review copy?

Or you could just tell them that you've got a green as grass member who will gladly review the game whom has no previous connection to Icrontic or its reviews, a member who has gone head over heels for every Elder Scrolls and the latest Fallout games? I'm sure that green as grass member would love to get their hands on a copy before release.

I'm just saiyan :P
    edited November 2011
    hahaha! Owned! If we all can't have Skyrim pre-release, than neither can you! :rarr:
    edited November 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    hahaha! Owned! If we all can't have Skyrim pre-release, than neither can you! :rarr:

Pic says it all, first non-Rainbow Dash image I've used huh wierd.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvS_IlNDa98qLmFaIEp77nm1PiV1aAVXboo3LklBeiyvoNBHWQ
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    UPSLynxPreacher
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    And he havent ever read form you but he now know your opinion in't
    UPSLynxIlriyas
    Ah dinnae ken ow tah rehbut yer paints yeh jus make sush a giddang great argmnt.

ah'll see meself oot now
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    How do these people figure out how to use a keyboard?
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    This thread is just another example of why Icrontic be epic. It proves again that a million humans randomly smashing their heads on a keyboard will eventually compose a vulgar fanboy comment minus rationality, grammar, and punctuation. Of note, I think Lynx's comment is well worth a single fuck.
    UPSLynx
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    But what about his opinion? That's what our esteemed visitor says is not worth a single fuck. I actually think it's worth at least two fucks.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    colaBasilRahnalH102Theironhand
  • Sry, butt i cn't let mah comment go 4 less then three quartrs ov a fuck
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    every argument was a big pile of shit, i havent ever read reviews/previews form you before but i now know your opinion in't worth a single fuck.
    How I feel about this:
    Does anybody else think that was Carmack sitting around his house getting drunk and trolling negative articles about Rage or is it just me?

I also missed this article the first time but DAMN it was prescient.
    primesuspectTushonPirateNinjaUPSLynx
    I don't have many skills, but when it comes to calling out developers on serious BS long before release, I got it in spades.
  • id did not make Daikatana, Romero left the company after the release of the first Quake