Worth upgrading to Windows 8?

Comments

• Pretty sure you can do a fresh install from upgrade media. I believe it just asks you to pop in the install media and/or product key for your old version of Windows. At least, it worked that way with Windows 7 (I thought).
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    The answer was to boot from the disk, then it saw the Windows 7 install. I was able to do advanced install where it let me format the drive from the installer and do a clean install.
  • This pretty much sums up my feelings about Windows 8:

Almost not terrible is right.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    If that sums up your feelings, it's because you are using it wrong. All of the gripes in the first 5 minutes of the video (it was all I could stand) were because they wanted to do things like they were done in previous versions of Windows. For example the Metro interface + All apps button is the equivilent of the Desktop and Start menu in Win 7. They complained that if you wanted to go from the Desktop to an app that is not on Metro then it takes more clicks (Metro -> All apps -> App).... but if you are on the desktop and you click the Start menu, you have to go to All Programs anyways to get to them all (Start -> All Programs -> App).

Anyways... just seems like peeps be hatin' because it is different. The more and more I learn about 8, the more and more I see that everyone complaining about it is wrong.

-Digi
  • So... your argument is that everything is fine because the user is using it wrong? Microsoft has no blame for taking decades of usability paradigms and throwing them out the window (pun intended), gluing two disparate UIs together and not even giving the user the option of using only one or the other?

I suppose you also agreed with Jobs that the iPhone users upset about dropped calls were holding their phones wrong.
    ardichoke said:

So... your argument is that everything is fine because the user is using it wrong?

Nope. My statement was simply meant to point out that the gentlmen in the video were trying to use Win8 as if it were Win7 and the fact that Win8 is not Win7 is the basis for the 5 minutes of complaints I watched. They were not able to do the exact same workflow as they were used to in Win7 and there for did not like it and this is the bulk of the complaints that I personally have come across.
    Microsoft has no blame for taking decades of usability paradigms and throwing them out the window (pun intended), gluing two disparate UIs together and not even giving the user the option of using only one or the other?
    I am under the impression in Win 8 that the desktop is unnessesary and that you can indeed use Win8 without the desktop at all so I'm not sure what you are trying to blame Microsoft for. Are you saying you are upset and putting down Win8 because it is not what you are used to? Different != Wrong.

UI Options? The option of one or the other?

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    BobbyDigi said:

ardichoke said:

So... your argument is that everything is fine because the user is using it wrong?

Nope. My statement was simply meant to point out that the gentlmen in the video were trying to use Win8 as if it were Win7 and the fact that Win8 is not Win7 is the basis for the 5 minutes of complaints I watched. They were not able to do the exact same workflow as they were used to in Win7 and there for did not like it and this is the bulk of the complaints that I personally have come across.
    If you had watched the entire video, you would see that they also pointed out where the workflow breaks down even from a non-Windows 7 outlook and where the new UI simply makes it harder to accomplish everyday tasks even if you're doing things the metro way. Things like broken scrolling in the Metro UI, poor mouse usability designs, tiling working differently in Metro vs Desktop, etc. They even showed some things they like about Windows 8 (thus the name "Almost not terrible" as it has some redeeming qualities, though not enough to overcome it's schizophrenia).
    BobbyDigi said:

Microsoft has no blame for taking decades of usability paradigms and throwing them out the window (pun intended), gluing two disparate UIs together and not even giving the user the option of using only one or the other?
    I am under the impression in Win 8 that the desktop is unnessesary and that you can indeed use Win8 without the desktop at all so I'm not sure what you are trying to blame Microsoft for. Are you saying you are upset and putting down Win8 because it is not what you are used to? Different != Wrong.

UI Options? The option of one or the other?

-Digi

I'm under the impression that only applications which are written specifically for the Metro interface are usable in Metro, thus any legacy app automatically drops you to the Desktop section. So yes, you can use Metro only, but only if you don't want to use any legacy applications. (EDIT: I just confirmed this. Fired up my Win8 VM, installed Firefox which is not built specifically for Metro. Even if you launch it in Metro, it drops you to the Desktop. No choice) Add that to the fact that you can't Alt+Tab through your desktop apps only, despite being able to do the same through Metro apps only which seriously hinders the ability to switch applications in desktop mode efficiently. Plus there are the tiling problems in Metro that they pointed out (once again, after you stopped watching) which break one of the best features in 7 (IMO) namely the ability to quickly tile two items side by side for work purposes.

That said, there is a reason the basic Windows UI paradigm has remained largely the same for so long. Because it works, it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good for mouse and keyboard work anyway. I understand Microsoft is lagging in the mobile space so they've decided to use their captive desktop audience to try and shoehorn their way into that space by forcing everyone to use a touch-centric UI on their desktop, thus making them more comfortable using Windows on a tablet or phone, but that doesn't work for me. I've tried to use it, even tried to do things the Metro way. It doesn't enhance my workflow, it hinders it. If they patch it so I can disable Metro entirely and run in desktop mode only, I'll give it another look. Until that day, it's a non-starter for me.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to pick fight with you. This is supposed to be a discussion about whether or not Win 8 was worth upgrading to. I was just posting a video that pointed out a bunch of reasons why I think it's not worth upgrading.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    found a couple nice features in windows 8, 1) ability to mount a .iso as a virtual cd drive is built in (just right click and select mount) 2) when copying large amounts of files it actually keeps track of the speed of transfer and gives you a nice graph with a pretty accurate estimate of time left
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Not directly related to the current discussion, but may assist someone making the decision - the way win8 is doing windows is not exactly eye candy. Aero Glass is now gone from the official release (though if you have the release preview, you can still use it... and there are some workarounds for windows rtm, but I can't get them to work).

I can handle the new start screen, charms bar, and the other little quirks that a man has to accept when The System dictates New Software Must Be Used... but two things bother me:

1. What designer thinks opaque, square, single-color windows are prettier than transparent, rounded ones?
    2. Why can't we have both?
    Soap
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    I've installed Windows 8 on two home computers now, upgrade installation on both, my primary machine and my wife's computer. Both computers are employed as multitaskers, one of which (mine) is a heavy multitasker. 1) + for Win8: noticeably faster windows switching, applications opening, and file transfers ...significantly faster; only $39.95 with online update; 100% compatibility after Windows Updates with my software (some of it rather old) and hardware; very nice File Explorer (formerly Windows Explorer); 2) - Modern UI appearance UGGGH, no Aero Glass (I really liked glass!); Start Screen has advantages, but overall, is slower for power users that have everything very neatly and precisely categorized (Win7's Start Button navigation is superior for me). Well, that's a summary of pros and cons from my perspective. I can't complain about the VERY EASY process of downloading a free utility that restores the start button. There are several free versions, a really nice software called Start8, which is $4.95 and well worth it. If you are type who organizes their computer files in such a way that you have scores of shortcuts on the desktop, the Modern UI might be tailor made for you. But yes, for me, I echo the sentiment that the new GUI is optimized for a touch screen, too much so. Bottom line, the real speed improvements make it worth it for me to keep Win8 and not revert back to Win7. Two caveats: 1) if it weren't for the third-party retro (start button, desktop) utilities, I'd ditch Windows 8, 2) Microsoft, PLEASE bring back Aero Glass.

I've configured Start8 to allow Windows 8/Modern schema or to let me switch instantly to the traditional 7's navigation. I'm finding Win 8's Start Screen search to be very intuitive and fast. If $39.95 is not a budget burner for you, I recommend you give 8 a try.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    I am very happy with win 7atm, but would consider an upgrade at the next win 8 reincanation/incarnation.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    So I upgraded. Startup is snappy. All my programs work. The only thing is that I can't get over the disconnect between regular apps and Metro apps. Why would I use Metro Skype over the regular Skype that's already installed? Why would I even pay for most of the apps either?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    bumpin this for an update from anyone who has upgraded!

How are the win 8 feels?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Loving it.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I upgraded to Win8 and I love it. Took me a good minute to get used to it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Loving it, and 3 retired customers love it. Take some getting used to... then when SP1 (or Blue) comes out it will be easier to get used to.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Also enjoying my experience. I've found no real drawbacks other than some compatability issues with older software.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I got used to it but I sill don't see the point of Metro.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I don't use Metro anything.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I couldn't even install normal Skype. I won't be moving 8 onto anything past the test machine I've got it on.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I have the desktop version of Skype installed and it works perfectly fine. I am fine with Windows 8. I really like the search features.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    We're migrating my office to Windows 8. I can already hear the complaints.
    CrazyJoe said:

I have the desktop version of Skype installed and it works perfectly fine. I am fine with Windows 8. I really like the search features.

whenever I would try, it would redirect me to the Win 8 version. =/

Clicking that reminded me that I had stopped bothering trying because the Skype domain is blocked here. I'll take the lappy home and try that at some point. Thanks :)
    edited May 2013
    I fucking LOVE Windows 8. Yeah, that much. Why would I want to open a browser and go to Reddit/Facebook/Twitter when I can just open an app (with Windows handling the download and install) that works better than the website? I can then switch between those apps as fast or faster than switching between tabs. Why would I use IE on the desktop when I can use the entire screen real estate on Modern IE (Legal issues using Metro)?

I use Windows 8 on both a tablet and mouse/keyboard on my PC. The gestures with both touch and mouse are intuitive and come second nature after only a short time using them. Having all three of my computers tied to my Microsoft account makes the experience between devices seamless.

A couple other things that I hope to merge in with the experience soon are Smart Glass (Xbox control/integration) and SkyDrive (cloud storage).

-Digi
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    It's all flash no bang, arguably worse than Vista, or in other words.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    I'm running Skype for Desktop just fine. In fact, the only issue (aside from the one I mention above) I've encountered with anything since installing it last year is the Mumble overlay causes Starcraft 2 to crash. And that's a fix that needs to be made on Mumble. I just disable the overlay and it works fine. This goes back to the software dev needing to update their software. Not Microsoft.

Aside from that, I couldn't be happier with Windows 8. I'm running it on all PCs I own. You won't regret an upgrade, in my opinion.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I'll be building a new PC "soon". I'm not buying another Windows 7 license.

When is Windows Blue coming?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I will never upgrade to Windows 8. I use it extensively at work, and resent it.