How do I convert a pirated Windows 7 installation into a legit one?

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
Like the title says. I've got 2 computers at my parents home that need to be converted in to legit installations without formatting. Windows is already displaying that it's a pirated version. Computers are running Windows 7 Ultimate and parents are planning on buying Windows 7 Home Premium. Any chance in hell this can be done?

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    Try backing up any files you'd like to keep and reserve part of your drive to contain the Windows 7 Home Premium installation files. Wipe everything/uninstall the pirated version install from the partition and return the backed up files to the drive.

I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to do it or even the proper way but it's the only thing I can think of atm.

Willing to bet that @Thrax knows of a better solution.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Assuming you have a legit key now, I would first try going to the Control Panel, then (in the icon view, not categories) the System settings. Once you're in that window, there should be a section called Windows Activation. There's a link to change the product key. That should be all that's needed.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Ilriyas said:

Try backing up any files you'd like to keep and reserve part of your drive to contain the Windows 7 Home Premium installation files. Wipe everything/uninstall the pirated version install from the partition and return the backed up files to the drive.

I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to do it or even the proper way but it's the only thing I can think of atm.

Willing to bet that @Thrax knows of a better solution.

So pretty much back up the Users folder?
    mertesn said:

Assuming you have a legit key now, I would first try going to the Control Panel, then (in the icon view, not categories) the System settings. Once you're in that window, there should be a section called Windows Activation. There's a link to change the product key. That should be all that's needed.

We don't have the keys yet but can Windows be downgraded from Ultimate to Home Premium?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You cannot change the product key for a live Ultimate install to magically make it home premium (even though I think that it is silly). You might be able to do the registry hack to make it appear to be Vista Home Premium, then "upgrade" the install, then use new, legit key.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You can try this, and then supply your new key.