Dear 3D TV: Piss off

Comments

• edited September 2010
    The 3D part doesn't even look that good anyway. They look like flat sheets placed on top of each other.
  • edited October 2010
    Luddites...3dtv is badass. You are the same people who decried DVD when it made VHS obsolete. Affordable 3dtv without glasses is about ten years away. Happy waiting! I'm going to enjoy my TC-P54VT25 now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I don't think you know what Luddites means. If we were Luddites, this article wouldn't exist BECAUSE IT'S ON THE INTERNET.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I don't think you know what Luddites means. If we were Luddites, this article wouldn't exist BECAUSE IT'S ON THE INTERNET.

No YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A LUDDITE IS.

Lol;D VHS how behind the times is he? It is Blu-ray vs. DVD now son.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    3D TV will be a footnote at CES in Jan. The next big thing is connecting the TV to the net, that is going to be where the real battle is fought in consumer electronics.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    But... but I like my 3D-enabled content on my 3D TV...
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    3D: IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Until the industry forgets again. So...about five years from now.
    UPSLynx
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    BUT GUYS, YOU DON'T NEED GLASSES THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT'S LIKE THE MATRIX NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    3D is, always has been, and always will be gimmicky bullshit that serves no purpose other than to charge people more money whether they want it or not, especially at the movie theaters. Glad to see it go away.

For awhile.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    OMG HOLY CRAP THE FUTURE
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    Thank goodness - 3D tv/movies do nothing but make me nauseous; I was worried I'd get sick for more reasons than one watching the Packers games if it went mainstream.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    curved screens are the future.
    Curved screens warp the aspect ratio.
    Thrax said:

screens warp

ITS LIKE ITS COMING RIGHT AT ME!!!!
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I saw Samsung, LG and probably Sony having 3D TV but it is not heavily advertise like they have in years
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    I mean, it's like many people didn't read the article. 3D did more or less win - it's still around and still being sold, you're just not hearing about it. It's ninjaing its way into your homes, and that's still market penetration, that's still sales, that's still some measure of success.

Now we can argue usage, sure - everybody has 3D TVs, but nobody uses them - but the tech is clearly not dead if it's still being sold in large volumes.
    In all seriousness, what I really want is this.

You could give me a huge list of reasons why it's silly gimmicks and bullshit. But fuck that, I want to indulge.
    I want to know when we're getting Google Glass. I haven't heqard much about it in a while. I want my personal eye-ball visor screen thing.

If they're taking a break from that to do self-driving cars though, that's fine. I'll be the first on in line for one when they are legal in my state.
    midga
    I mean: I guess there's this thing, but it's not translucent, so it can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

Scouters? Yep, I'd want that too.
    Snarkasm said:

I mean, it's like many people didn't read the article. 3D did more or less win - it's still around and still being sold, you're just not hearing about it. It's ninjaing its way into your homes, and that's still market penetration, that's still sales, that's still some measure of success.

Now we can argue usage, sure - everybody has 3D TVs, but nobody uses them - but the tech is clearly not dead if it's still being sold in large volumes.

It's being sold in large volumes because any 120Hz+ panel can do it. They're basically 3D by default.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    That's exactly my point. It's not dead. It's just not considered a selling point anymore (much like 'Look! Our car has doors!').
    I'm not certain what sort of definition of "dead" you use, but when a feature is no longer the central pillar of a marketing plan, no longer the central feature of your product and has remarkably stagnant utilization amongst consumers, that's dead to the tech industry.
    Cliff_ForsterThrax
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    CB said:

I want to know when we're getting Google Glass. I haven't heqard much about it in a while. I want my personal eye-ball visor screen thing.

This. So much this. I want a HUD, dammit. I already have my GPS mounted in the upper-right as a minimap in my car, but it's just not good enough...
  • Thrax said:

I'm not certain what sort of definition of "dead" you use, but when a feature is no longer the central pillar of a marketing plan, no longer the central feature of your product and has remarkably stagnant utilization amongst consumers, that's dead to the tech industry.

3D was dead out of the gate. You can only do so much to manufacture demand. 4K will not fare much better in the consumer space. It has massive potential for commercial applications though.

Black and White / Color / HDTV - the next innovation will be getting rid of all the extra boxes and wires, a true integrated wireless ecosystem inside the TV. That's something consumers will pay for.

I'm pretty positive 4K will gain traction, particularly when it comes to desktop monitors. But the uptake will take quite a long time as the content ecosystem catches up. But the economy of scale is there, so 4k is inevitable.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    Thrax said:

I'm pretty positive 4K will gain traction, particularly when it comes to desktop monitors. But the uptake will take quite a long time as the content ecosystem catches up. But the economy of scale is there, so 4k is inevitable.

Content and bandwidth. ISPs will need to invest in infrastructure soon...or just let Google take their business away by upgrading cities to fiber.