Expo 2012 Electric Usage

RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
edited January 2013 in Community
I somehow remembered that Jeff had attached the data loggers to the electric panel for Expo. He found the files and sent them to me. The attached spreadsheet shows all the usage for every minute that the data loggers were connected. Since there were 2 loggers, I used Excel to combine the data. You will see that in the info starting at A1 through E3344.
Within that data, I removed all the idle time where it was very apparent the loggers were no longer connected (hmmm, nipple clamps?). All that did was skew the average, so I saw no point in it.
The highest recorded usage was 8628 watts, while the average was 4359 watts.

If someone has a bit fancier graphing software, it would be nice to see a graph over time. There is a data point every minute and that is just too many for the built in features of Excel.
JBoogalooGarg

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    i can do some matlab stuff once i have access to it again - feb 1ish, if no one has done anything already.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Garg
    That's avg watts by hour.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    You can tell where the TF2 tournament was on Saturday night ;D
    Fairly steady Friday night too, but definitely fewer in that tournament.
    This is why I wanted a graph. I thought about grabbing out just the top of the hours, just didn't have the motivation to get them out 1 at a time. Would be neat to have a self ranging graph where you get the granularity you want. Probably a bit much though.
    MAGIC
    edited January 2013
    And, when everyone started drinking on Friday/Sat lolol.
    Looks like about ~2000 watts with all the PC idling from 3am to 10/11am each morning.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Can you use the data to guess approx how many kwh the Expo uses?
    edited January 2013
    251.5, about $20 worth of power at D town rates.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    8 hours of 2000W at Detroit rates (14.5 cents/kWh as of 12/27/2012) is actually just $2.32.
    edited January 2013
    Oop, plus about 32 dollars for the the entire weekend. There is a 5c per kwh "delivery charge" too.
    edited January 2013
    Det charges about .07 for the first 17 kwhs of the day, and .082 every one after that, then .05 per for delivery. I did those calcs in my total of 32 dollar estimate.
    4359 avg. wattage for 24 hours is $15.17.

56 hours is is 2.33 days.

$15.17*2.33=$35.34
    edited January 2013
    Ryder, You didn't need to multiply it by 55.71. You were already working in the watts over the whole weekend. 37.92 would be the total, I think.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Is power really that cheap?
    Annes said:

Is power really that cheap?

Seemingly.
    Yes.
    FWIW, $40 is about my power bill for the entire month. So while it seems cheap, we're using a whole month's worth of power in 2.5 days.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    Thrax said:

FWIW, $40 is about my power bill for the entire month. So while it seems cheap, we're using a whole month's worth of power in 2.5 days.

Do you not pay for heat in Canada??

• Maybe they use natural gas to heat their homes. No wait, Canada? Their homes are heated by their warm hearts and smiles.
    malia said:

Thrax said:

Nat gas. Very common in the midwest to not use electric heating, and Canada is ruled by nat gas.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    Thrax said:

malia said:

Thrax said:

Nat gas. Very common in the midwest to not use electric heating, and Canada is ruled by nat gas.
    Huh. Someone forgot to inform my midwestern landlord of this fact. I am sad panda.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    Wood stove still works pretty well for heating.
    Nat gas doesn't spin the blower fan though. That is, if you have forced air heat.
    As we've proven today, power is pretty inexpensive, and a blower would be negligible.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    1000W blower operating 50% of the time over 30 days = 1kW * 30 days * 24 hours * 50% = 360 kWh.

Not negligible...
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    I also have natural gas heat. Pay around 50/mo for electric.

EDIT: corrected number, momentarily forgot I get one bill for water and electric.

1000W blower operating 50% of the time over 30 days = 1kW * 30 days * 24 hours * 50% = 360 kWh.

Not negligible...

Average blower time on a furnace is 30-35%, less with cold air returns and a well-insulated home. $30 at worst, more like $15-20 if you have a modern home. Movie'n'popcorn is "negligible" territory for most, I think.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Fair, but that is about 50% of my electric bill :)
  • This thread has moved in an interesting direction.
    I'd wager that it is negligible in some cases and isn't in others. For example, I probably pay $5-10/mo to run my blower. It depends on your setup.

At Epic 2012, the entire cafe was heated by computers and hot bodies. I doubt the blower turned on. Instead we used a couple kWh to run huge fans and try and cool the joint down.
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian

hot bodies

Yeah, sorry about that. I can't help how attractive I am.