So I've been thinking of checking out EVE

DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Gaming
The questions I have, without having looked at any publisher info, is; Is it still going strong, and how hard is it for a brand new player to start-up? Is anyone here still playing?

Comments

• It's still going strong.

EVE has a hell of a learning curve, but I'm sure some of the EVEites here can help you out.

I still play occasionally (though I've been slacking for the last week or two). Not sure about anyone else.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Yep, people are definitely still playing. I think I see at least 32k people when I log on nightly. Not a ton of IC peeps play, but it can be as private or "public" a game as you want.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Have not been playing for a couple weeks, (Left my corp of 2 years) so I have not had much to do.

You should try it, it's a bit harsh on newcomers, but after a while you'll fit in just right.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    It's easy to start, but once you realize there's more than your little ship, mining asteroids and blowing up rats, it's like hitting a continental shelf made of words.
    TheironhandTushonBuddyJ
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    After years of being removed from it I was thinking about jumping back into it too.
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    thanks for the input, i'll check back in once i've done a bit more research
    I have the client downloaded, and i'm going to start patching here in a minute, is anyone around who can give me an invite for the 21 day trial pass?
    edited October 2012
    pm email (click on my name, then click message on the right side, or click inbox in the far top right then click New Message on the left)
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2012

It's a bit old but EVE hasn't changed
    midgaTheironhandBandrik
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

So I've been thinking of checking out EVE

No. We just got you back, EVE can not have you.
    RyderDocFrazier
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    ^^ This
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Eve is awesome. Pew pew internet spaceships all the way.
    LOLs all, I'm just giving it a shot. After and hour or so in on the tutorial I'm still undecided either way. Everyone says give it a few weeks to really decide, and I have three. (thx tushon)
    Work through the various tutorial missions. That'll give you a good taste.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    The starter missions will get you lined out on game mechanics, but it's when you get in with a corp and start doing more than killing NPCs or mining that the game gets really fun. Noob-friendly corporations are cool (I didn't do that but probably should have) because they hook you up with ships and skillbooks while mentoring you in the finer arts of the game. They can get you fast tracked into PVP.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I am totally interested in trying this game. It looks a lot like a giant multiplayer X Universe (Trading, mining, corporation building, incredibly sadistic/masochistic space battles)

anyone got a trial for it?
    PM me your email address.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Ilriyas said:

I am totally interested in trying this game. It looks a lot like a giant multiplayer X Universe (Trading, mining, corporation building, incredibly sadistic/masochistic space battles)

It's a giant multiplayer Accountants In Space.
    BuddyJTheironhandlmorchard
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Anybody apart of Dreddit here?
    I think @ardichoke was/is
    Ilriyas said:

My Pilots name is Vincint Solette, look me up, i just started aswell.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Less Eve, more SKYRIM!!

Less Eve, more SKYRIM!!

Not enough mula in my wallet to buy Skyrim, and i'm not sure my pc could run it, lol.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Well, I've been thinking of checking this out too. X3 doesn't cut it anymore. Now a few questions, if you don't mind:

-I've heard the game is really advanced, and you need a masters degree in physics, economy and engineering to even grasp the basics of the game. Is it true?

-I've been trying to locate some info, but I've fallen short; how is the gameplay? Sure, you fly around in ships, but some screenshots I've seen show FPS-style gamplay on planets and shit. How much variation is there to this? Are the controls difficult to learn?

-How much is it per month (this is a subscription game, not)? I've failed to find any info on this on their homepage

-How is the balance between simulator, RPG and shooter?

-I've also heard all the other players are evil, and will kill you immediately if you make a bad move. Is it true? How bad is the penalty for dying? If I'd like to pay to get assraped and called n00b by 13-year-olds I might as well play CoD.

-Does IC have a gang/clan/group I can join?
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    It's true that there's little to no trust between players until they're in a corp together. That's why it's nice to know other players before you start, because that's an exception to the rule. Your friends and corpmates can also teach you the basics. (The real problem is the game doesn't teach you well, last I checked. No degree required.)

The gameplay is not what everyone wants from a space sim. There is no joysticking, no twitch fighting. You point your ship, set its velocity, and select modules to use on your targets. Damage dealt is a function of weapon size, target size, distance, and angular velocity. Your reaction time to new information, however, can be important. PVP is more about outthinking and counter strategies than flying skill.

You can pick up a free 2-week trial and see if the game is for you.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    I keep trying EVE every year or so, for like a month at a time, over the course of about 7 years running. But, I've never really gotten into a corp I liked, and I've never actually killed anything but an NPC. For the most part, it's seemed like a game I have more fun reading about than actually trying to devote any time playing.
    JBoogalooThrax
    I'm fairly well established in an Industrial Salvage Corporation (Meaning we salvage wrecks that other players made while running missions, or the EVE equivalent to kill quests). One of the main Corp. tenets is that we accept new players and help them make isk(In game currency), and teach them about the game. So anyone who is looking to try out the game, get a hold of me and I can help you get set up. If you decide to move on to other aspects of EVE, or stick around in Pro Synergy (My Corp's name), its all a blank slate. EVE is one of the most sandboxy of sandbox games I have ever played. There is very much something for any type of gamer here.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    lmorchard said:

I keep trying EVE every year or so, for like a month at a time...For the most part, it's seemed like a game I have more fun reading about than actually trying to devote any time playing.

This is exactly where I stand with the game and I guess I really haven't had that "I'm all in for this" experience. Maybe joinging in with a few IC members here and there to learn it more in-depth will change that. Now to only find the time.
    JBoogaloo said:

lmorchard said:

I keep trying EVE every year or so, for like a month at a time...For the most part, it's seemed like a game I have more fun reading about than actually trying to devote any time playing.

This is exactly where I stand with the game and I guess I really haven't had that "I'm all in for this" experience. Maybe joinging in with a few IC members here and there to learn it more in-depth will change that. Now to only find the time.
    EVE is certainly a time sink, but the beautiful thing about the skill training mechanic is that you don't have to grind it skill your character up. It builds skill points 24 hours a day. The downside is that you can only train one character on any account at one time, and some of the higher skill levels take days.