Meet the new NZXT flagship case. Phantom 820 reviewed

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2013 in Science & Tech

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    For $159.99 you can get a Corsair 650D
    For $249.99 you can get a Corsair 800D
    For $229.99 you can get a Silverstone FT02

UNLESS you REALLY love plastic, this case can't even compare to the Aluminum ones above
    Soda
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Yeah, I cannot for the life of me justify the MSRP of this product in light of its competition. The interior is nice, but the materials are very baffling.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The value prop is not in the materials; it's in the integrated light controller, integrated fan controller, and number of high-quality included fans.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Yeah, I cannot for the life of me justify the MSRP of this product in light of its competition. The interior is nice, but the materials are very baffling.

fatcat said:

UNLESS you REALLY love plastic, this case can't even compare to the Aluminum ones above

I have to agree. As much as I love NZXT's designs and their interior layout, the plastic really bothers me now. The top panel of the Switch 810 broke within a month, and I can't move the thing without the face panel coming off. The original Phantom's middle panel screw housing broke. Neither was being used in a rough manner.

If they want to play in this space, NZXT is really going to have to step up their game. My next case will likely be the Corsair Obsidian 900D.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

The value prop is not in the materials; it's in the integrated light controller, integrated fan controller, and number of high-quality included fans.

My Silverstone FT02 came with 4 high grade fans (3 of which are 180mm, and a 120mm) along with a fan controller and NO LIGHTS

;)

That's just it... if I want lights or extra fans I can add them easily. I cannot take a plastic case and make it less fragile.
    Of course, that being said, NZXT absolutely has case layout nailed. That's one of the things I've really loved about them. Cable routing is pretty easy in both the Phantom and the Switch.
    650D also came with quality fans, an integrated fan controller, and MUCH higher-quality material. I understand a value prop, but these value props aren't sufficiently unique or well-executed to warrant the exorbitant price tag.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    @mertesn I don't know what you did to your case but I took my 810 to QuakeCon,EXPO, and a local; also one domicile move.

All of the cases fatcat listed are Steel/AL. The lightest being the 650D at 24 pounds and only taking ATX/mATX. The nearest to the 820 in spec is the 800D but it is smaller, older, and more expensive. The silverstone interestingly takes 12x11in boards and SSI-CEB sizes but is smaller, heavier by a pound, and still smaller since it is a mid-tower. The point of the 800 series is to be a Full tower for large boards and heavy system requirements. If you are looking at a MSRP of 200+ for your tower and worried about external besides IO I would recommend rethinking what kind of tower you actually need.
    _k_ said:

@mertesn I don't know what you did to your case but I took my 810 to QuakeCon,EXPO, and a local; also one domicile move.

The Switch 810's top panel broke while reattaching it. Apparently the clasp at the back side is a bit weak. It broke with very light pressure. It's entirely possible it came down to operator error, but I was told at one point (can't remember where) that mine wasn't an isolated case. I'm not terribly rough on hardware either. If anything it's the opposite. I also have a tendency to find the broken part. Put one defective unit in a stack of one million and I'll purchase it nine times out of ten.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Value prop or not, they've built and delivered a brand. That works for a lot of people, materials and all.
    primesuspect
  • Man for $250 that case better be Joe Flacco elite.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    Yeah I have to agree, and particularly in the 650D's case, it is ALSO very aesthetically pleasing to those with minimalist/modern taste like me. Soon a 650D will be mine...I've been eyeing that case since it first released. So I take it you highly recommend it @Thrax?
    It is the first case I've ever owned that I am 100% happy with.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I thought my RV-02 was pretty awesome until I worked with the 650D. It's fantastic, and my cable routing has never been more beautiful.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    I just got a shiver down my spine... I might be drooling.