League of Legends anyone?

Comments

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    I think lane is still a much better place for Poppy; mostly due to the low sustain slow jungling (and that jungling has a pretty inflexible early-game build). While it's true that S3 has been very good for single-target junglers (especially those that can be counterjungled easily), I think there are champions that offer a much greater presence from the jungle. If you must, go wriggles instead - the stones are pretty wimpy for her. The spirit stone offers no damage for use in ganks, forcing you to rely entirely on a good charge and your teammates.

Currently, health is in vogue by a serious degree (it's stupid cheap right now), which is a stat that REALLY doesn't synergize with Poppy - high health effectively wastes her passive (please don't twist that to say "health is a bad stat for her," it's just not a synergistic one. There are champs that work with health better simply because they have a passive that does something ELSE).

Now as for lane problems: She is a bad farmer - that's true - but global gold has been increased quite a bit, and creep gold decreased. Not a substitute for good farming, but these changes put her in a better position than they used to. Now, the loss of the HoG hurts quite a bit for people who don't farm well. That could definitely be a big blow.

As for sustain, keep in mind that lots of champs are missing good sustain. In fact, Jax and Poppy have a whole lot of parallels in that regard - they both have a quick gap closer, they both a stun, they both have damage amplification (his in the form of AS, yours in the form of extra damage on your Q), and they both have a defensive trick. The ults are quite different, naturally. Champs without sustain are using lots more potions, the crystalline flask, or rushing a vamp scepter.

Now, the build is interesting. I'm not super familiar with poppy builds, but I remember rushing a triforce whenever possible. Consider, though, that every intermediate item of the triforce can be built into something tankier - something I commonly do with Jayce when I need to be fatter. Additional slows and resistances can make you a pretty interesting line bruiser as opposed to a rush-the-back anticarry. Your ult must be used more creatively if you go this route.

So looking back over these paragraphs, the underlying theme is itemization - she needs to be very, very carefully itemized. I don't see anything that would completely make her stupid amounts of unviable (although it could definitely be there, I'm commonly wrong).

Thoughts?
  • I've got her specced with AP masteries (21/0/9) and pretty standard runes except for the lifesteal. As for Spirit Stone, a core item on her is Philo and spirit gives the same HP and Mana regen for less cost differential. It also gives you more damage against monsters whether you're using a spell or physical damage. After that it's a quick Sheen or a quick Seeker's. Seekers gives you more armor and you farm up the extra 15 armor and AP in the jungle pretty quickly but Sheen gives you more mana (which you need) and makes you Q hit harder so I haven't decided which I like better.
    Remember that Poppy counterjungles really well. Get a smiteless on red, go straight to blue, go to their red and whack 'em in the head with your hammer if they start blue. Do the opposite if they typically start red.
    As for the health stacking meta, let's discuss Poppy's Q. From level 1 that bad boy does 8% of the target's max health as magic damage. On level up its cooldown, max damage, and additional magic damage increase. Additionally, she has a flat 116 base damage at level 18 plus her W's additional physical damage. Health stacking is typically done instead of building resistance so you don't have to worry about the fact that your damage is mixed. Still, Sorcs and mpen masteries are helpful.
    As the game goes on if you do well you can snag (in no particular order:
    Sorcs shoes
    Lich Bane
    Giant's Belt -> Ancient Golem for the tenacity

I treat her like a bruiser. Her innate tankiness, high base damage, and a Q that does a percent of max health as damage makes for a good champion even if you don't have a full six item build. This build will run you 7,660, which is totally doable.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Ban Poppy
    colaRyanFodderUPSLynx
    Sounds interesting. I wish I could help with the thoughts on jungle, but I'm a pretty poor jungler, I'd probably steer you in the wrong direction. The only thing I would suggest would be taking defensive masteries instead of offensive ones; her Q already does damage based on their maximum health, I feel like AP is only marginally helpful on top of that. Also, I think if you're going for sheen, wriggles first is probably better - you still get that extra damage against monsters (more, actually), and a ton of lifesteal - freeing up those lifesteal runes for something like move speed (or AP, if you really wanted that from masteries). You'll be a little low on mana, though, right?

I still think she'd do better in lane; even if she farms poorly, she'd get more money than in the jungle.

And yeah, good points about the health stacking meta from the other side! That makes her seem a hell of a lot stronger.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Winfrey's been carrying my sorry ass for the past couple days, and here's the result :D

TushonRahnalH102
    BEST OF RUCK IN THE SPEELDS OF BLUSTICE
    Second game with jungle Poppy. She isn't bad.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    ban poppy for real.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Fancy.

Also a request: When you're done with a match check your teammate's and opponent's win counts compared to yours. I've only seen a range of 50 higher or lower so far it seems. I likes the data!
    edited February 2013
    We brought our Boreale to the game. tons of Deep Strikes

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I'm telling you guys you NEED to bring your Boreale
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    Played my last 2 ranked games solo. Won 1 lost 1 and this is the result:
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    LOL i'm in the same division as @cola SIVIR'S LIBERATORS
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Thought it was supposed to match you with friends...
    Had a legendary jungle Xin game with @Sledgehammer70 and my buddy Leary from THQ. Too bad we lost, some bad plays by our Evelyn opened us up in two late team fights.

BTW, you guys should add THQverdian (smurf) and verdian wolfeye (main). That's Joe Leary from THQ, he's pretty frigging good.
    UPSLynx
  • I totally want in on a game. INVITE ME! (TUC Toilet Humor)
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    what
    UPSLynx
    So... @tushon and I duo queued, and I played ryze vs an Eve. The Eve got some roam kills off, but I had 2 levels on her the whole game... She had the most kills on the team, but completely left her team out to dry. She bashed her team in end game chat horribly. Then I closed out and got a strange friend request...

And... the fun continues... slightly more maliciously...

I wish I had remembered to cap the end game chat. This one is a new low for the LoL community.
    WinfreyUPSLynxRahnalH102JBoogaloo
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    SO MAD. Tears for my thirst.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Hehe pentakill.. That's what I'm talkin' about
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    After 10 games got into Silver Divison ll (:
    PreachercolaRyanFodder
    UPSLynx
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    Isn't Thresh highly banned now!?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I was checking charts and it doesn't look like it yet.
    Won my advancement series today, moved from Gold 5 to Gold 3 skipping 4 lulz
    RahnalH102Rexxar