QUIZ: Get EVE money, show off, ???, profit!

EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
edited February 2013 in Gaming
Definitely profit.

Why is my ISK up for grabs?

I've been out of EVE for almost a year since my last time playing, and I won't have the time investment needed for me to really enjoy it, ever. So I might as well not let teh moneys rot away! CCP reactivated my account briefly on petition so this doesn't cost me anything. I made this money through trade.

Prizes

One (1) First prize: 700 million ISK. This is enough to buy a PLEX (1 month of gametime) plus a bit. Or you can buy a pretty sweet ride.
Five (5) Second prizes: 10 million ISK each. A big boon for a newbie, a pittance to veterans.

Rules

- All submissions are eligible for second prize--you can get all the questions wrong. Only correct submissions, or the most correct submissions, are eligible for first prize. Winners chosen at random from those who are eligible.

- Entries must be submitted by private message to me by 7AM PST Wednesday 2/6. With your submission or very shortly after you win, I'll need you to PM me your character (or corp) name so I can Give Money. 24 hours after the contest ends I will no longer be able to award the prize.

- You must have the "New Neighbor" AND "10 comments" badge awarded BEFORE the date of this posting (this is to prevent folks joining and posting like mad in order to enter) (thanks for this one @Jokke)

The quiz

1. What is the longest possible range of an EVE market buy order?

2. Please describe the scam in the contract "[Want To Sell 1 PLEX 470 Million !!!!!]".

3. What is 1 au in km? You should know this for directional scanning.

4. You know ISK as the currency of EVE. What currency is called ISK in real life, and how is the answer related to EVE?

5. EVE adage: "Don't ___ what you can't ___" (fill in 4 words)

6. Real world question! What are North America's top two heavy rail transit systems in terms of ridership per capita? Where a capita is counted by living in the metro area.

7. Real world question! Why was Beijing called Peking before?

Remember to PM me the answers. By all means post if a question is unclear.

edit1: Clarified question 4
primesuspectJBoogalooThraxBuddyJ

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    I planned to award 800 million, but it turned out your ship insurance is now made invalid if your ship is popped by CONCORD! Oops.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Fun
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Love it!
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Excellent!
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Great quiz! Thanks for having it!
    22 hours left!

I have 5 entries so far, so there's at least another 10 mil with someone's name on it. Answers will be posted tomorrow.
  • Amusingly, I think I can correctly answer 6 of these question without googling and without ever having played EVE. This is what I get for having friends who play EVE.
    The contest entry has closed, winners are pending.

Official answers:

1. What is the longest possible range of an EVE market buy order?
    Region. Two of you mentioned a Procurement skill requirement in addition to the answer, but it's not needed; the actual effect of that skill has to do with which station you can base your order at, not the order's extent(range). You can already place regional buy orders, so get to trading!

2. Please describe the scam in the contract "[Want To Sell 1 PLEX 470 Million !!!!!]".
    What you pay is both a PLEX and 470 million, even though they aren't listed next to each other in the contract. (Scamming is a perfectly legal profession in EVE.)

3. What is 1 au in km? You should know this for directional scanning.
    150 million km (149 597 871 kilometers). AU (astronomical unit) is a real world measurement equalling the average distance from Earth to Sun.

4. You know ISK as the currency of EVE. What currency is called ISK in real life, and how is the answer related to EVE?
    Icelandic króna, the currency of Iceland, the country that CCP Games calls home (and contributes 0.5% of the GDP).

5. EVE adage: "Don't ___ what you can't ___" (fill in 4 words)
    Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

6. Real world question! What are North America's top two heavy rail transit systems in terms of ridership per capita? Where a capita is counted by living in the metro area.

This is a surprising one, and only @drasnor got it right. The problem is most lists don't do it per capita, or they do it per capita of city limits population instead of metro area pop. After seeing a #2 claim elsewhere on Wikipedia, I ran the numbers myself to confirm. (here divided by here)

Weekday heavy rail ridership per 1,000 population:
    #1 New York City - 394
    #2 Montreal - 291

#3 Mexico City - 197
    #4 Vancouver - 184
    #5 Toronto - 168
    #6 Washington, DC - 165

New York is compensating... for the rest of the country not riding their subways.

7. Real world question! Why was Beijing called Peking before?
    Postal maps read "Peking" for most of the 20th century. That's because southern Chinese people pronounced "Beijing" that way in the 19th century (and most still do). China's foreign contact was largely concentrated in the south at that time. A complicated name history.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Awww shucks. Fucking canada.
    PMed scores and character confirmation requests to the 6 entrants. For first prize, @DocFrazier and @Tushon are tied having each scored 6/7. So we turn to the great random number generator in the sky.

And the winner is...

no whammies no whammies

@Tushon!!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Congrats winners!
    That's you too! Second prize of 10 mil goes to all 5 remaining entrants:
    @DocFrazier @Jokke @ardichoke @BuddyJ @drasnor

Thanks for playing guys!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    I'm going to have to question a couple of your answers here...

#6: Where did you get your statistics from? According to the numbers I looked up, Mexico City's rail system has surpassed Montreal's.

#7: The answer I gave was technically correct according to this source: http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzpinyin.htm as well as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Postal_Map_Romanization
    No problem.

But seriously,

#6 Check the sources I cited in the answer. Did you get it from the first link? You have to divide by the second link, and Mexico City as a metro area has a ton of population to divide by (largest in the continent), whereas Montreal is pretty small overall.

#7 Your source is not wrong about why the name changed, but unfortunately they have the reason wrong for it being called Peking in the first place. The actual Wade-Giles Romanization of 北京 is stated in my link in #7 and other places--Peiching not Peking.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I used wikipedia to solve #6. You have to divide ridership by metro-area population to get ridership per capita. Spreadsheets are helpful.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Ahh... I had bad population numbers. Stupid metropolitan areas. Also stupid trusting Google's population numbers.

I still think the change from Wade-Giles to Pinyin romanizations should be an acceptable answer to #7 (since the old postal map romanization is Wade-Giles based, even if the literal Wade-Giles translation was munged a bit on the maps), but that's moot from the point of the quiz and only a point of personal pride now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Thanks for doing this, @EMT :)
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    Lots of fun, thanks!