MechWarrior Online

BasilBasil NubcaekEngland Icrontian
edited February 2015 in Gaming
So there's this F2P MechWarrior game that several of us have been playing but we need MOAR recruits (and somewhere to theory craft/dump funnies/etc). Hence this thread.

You can get signed up here, grab the client and then head over to the training grounds to learn the basics then jump in game with some other icrontians.

MWO is currently in open beta, and not in a called-a-beta-even-though-its-done kinda way. There are bugs, there's a pretty terrible UI and there are game balance issues with almost every significant patch. But it's really, really, really fun, free to try and about the only mech sim to come out this decade.

PS Smurfy's MechLab is a useful way to theory build mechs before dropping the currency ingame.

And now to counter the seriousiness of this post, have a video of an Atlas bombing everyone:
IlriyasUPSLynx

Comments

• I second this motion. I've been having a blast playing this silly game and learning how to click the ready button. Everyone, join us!
    midga
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    RADY UUUP
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    THIS IS ROOSTER!!!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Game is downloaded, ready whenever
    ...And suddenly my life has new meaning
    BasilIlriyas
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    February patch content announced.

Dat trenchbucket. Dat hero awesome.

Your body is not ready.

Also:
    PirateNinjamidga
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I guess I need to fire this up and run through whatever training content they finally implemented.
    Basilmidga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'll throw in behind this. I've sorta dropped the corp thing for the time being since they haven't implemented that part of the game yet (also since teams are limited to 2, 3, 4, or 8 (they're working on it >_>)), but that doesn't mean team play has stopped. If you want in on our groupings, I recommend you get on Skype and add me (I'm midga59) or Q or Ily or Basil or one of the other Mechwarriors around here as that's been the voice system of choice what with it being much much simpler than the C3 client they were promoting.

Also, we don't mind teaching and helping, but it would certainly be awesome if you've run through the training vids at least. It's a sim, not an fps, so there's inherent complication. Nothing y'all can't handle, though; one night should have you up to a decent speed. Also recommended you start with the trial mechs as they always represent all four weight classes, and help you earn in-game currency while you get your legs.

Hope to see y'all :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    qch1974 on skype
    midga
    ilriyas-the-mage

I'm pretty much always on and ready for a game or two.

Hunchie and Cataphract pretty much all the things (Maybe Trebuchet when it comes out, definitely going to pilot a Highlander)
    midga
    Oh man, we mech'd hard today.

Started with @Tushon, @Midga and @QCH; ended 5 hours later with @Cola, @Ilriyas and @UPSLynx.

Alphonse remains the best medium, your hunchbacks suck. DLWIT.

When we can play 5, 6, 7 person groups, it will be glorious.
    You mean thismorning, right Basil? I mean, I woke up at midnight and we started meching at like 3a.m...

What I mean to say is, there is still plenty of day to mech it up XD
    Basil
    Right peeps, I'll be meching tonight, join me whenever.
    Heck, we can give the mumble server an inaugural run.

Also, hitbox sizes/locations for the most of the mechs can now be found here. That cockpit hitbox is as fragile on an Atlas as a Commando, exploit it.
    edited February 2013
    Warriors come out and plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    WARRIORS COME OUT AND PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Basil
  • I've been playing lately a bit, as always I'm Nemikan on there. The game is quite fun, primarily since games usually don't take more than 10 minutes. I can usually fit a full game in while I'm waiting in Q and everyone is picking heroes in League of Legends then loads into the game. (which is pro multitasking btw /flex).
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    dlunk out mech is best mech? I don't think so. Midga knows what's good but I'm being true dick tonight I think so sorry maybe? Ily is apologizing so I djunno.
    midga
    Stikl a bertter lovej song thna Twatlight Sprakel
    long ass day for me today :(

Glad we meched. Needed it.
    midgaBasil
    LYNX TEAMKILLED ME REPOT REPOT REPOT EROGENOVELS @UPSLYNX IS A SHITLORD
    UPSLynx
    edited February 2013
    We had a great night of mechs, hope to have another soon.
    Nemikan said:

I've been playing lately a bit, as always I'm Nemikan on there.

Added you dude, hit me up for a game sometime.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Basil team killed me last night... it was sad and hilarious at the same time. It was all good until I had to sleep. I love Mech Warrior but hate that it is so finicky for my friends.
    I had a lot of fun last night until Lynx killed me three times in a row because I beat him once in a straight up firefight.
    So I've discovered that every time the game patches, I will have to manually replace .PAK files just to get the dumb thing to work. This game is so, so broken :( But so fun. But broke. But fun.

Also, I discovered that get @Ilriyas and I drinking whiskey and the game turns into a 'My AC20 is bigger than yours' contest, and we resort to nothing but teamkilling. Worth it.
    Ilriyas
    Have you tried a complete uninstall, clear out/delete all related folders and reinstall? I had some issues with game stopping patches a while ago, but nothing in the last month/3 has broken in patching or playing.
    Tushon said:

Have you tried a complete uninstall, clear out/delete all related folders and reinstall? I had some issues with game stopping patches a while ago, but nothing in the last month/3 has broken in patching or playing.

I had it happen to me once before, thankfully I was already planning to reformat my PC so it wasn't too big of an issue but that seems to be the only solution.

Ilriyas said:

Tushon said:

I had it happen to me once before, thankfully I was already planning to reformat my PC so it wasn't too big of an issue but that seems to be the only solution.

Yeah, I had the same issues as you. I wasn't gonna reformat because time (and the ONLY other thing that wasn't working was 3DMark11 lulz), but the full uninstall and re-download worked fine so I thought I'd mention it.
    Ah fair enough, I know Lynx has tried reinstalling a bunch. The issue is client side or something.
    Lynx's computer /is/ the client.

And at least replacing the pak files fixes that issue. I've been having random crashes to lobby and desktop and some pretty bad texture-disappearance issues that I haven't (in my brief searching) even found mention of. I reinstalled, but it made the crashes worse. I tried it on a laptop instead and it only crashed once, but mech textures started disappearing for random matches as well as the normal map texture issues. Guess I'll be playing on the laptop and shooting at puttymen for a while.

Thing is, game's still worth it.
    Yeah, full uninstall/folder delete and re install didn't work for me either. I've tried just about everything at this point.