Beginners Guide & Advice Wanted

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
Well guys, although I've been whitelisted on the server for a few years, I have never been able to play due to the port number being blocked at work, and not having a powerful enough PC at home (work laptop). So, I have finally started logging into the server and I'm at a bit of a loss what to do.

Is there a guide anywhere? I have been going through the forum and found a couple of threads for staking a claim to land. Also, I don't have a minecart or any other resources, so do I need to gather some iron to make a minecart of my own? Also, where is the best place to begin gathering materials?

There are some pixel art characters in the sea on minecart tracks. Am I allowed to add a character? There seems to be some spare room for it, but I don't know who owns it or if it's out of bounds. I did see a load of wool in a couple of chests near the beginning of the pixel art tour - is this for the community or should I just gather my own? Of course I'd replace any I took if it was for the community.

Sorry about the n00b questions, but I really don't have much experience of Minecraft.

Finally, is there talk of a new server being created in the near future, or am I best beginning my building on the existing server?
midga

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    The only guide I ever encountered was digging through the wiki. It's clutzy IMO, but that's what they went with. No in game way to look up recipes or "how to", AFAIK (I haven't played in a long time). The requests were for House plots, industrial plots, or wide expanses of land outside the "town" area for massive building/exploring. AFAIK, there is no talk of a reset for the main IC server. You can probably borrow stuff from people (if they are online or let you know where/how to get it from their stash), but you're on the right track to just go out, gather, build. You can add to the pixel art in ocean, just head out to one of the gaps and there is a height max so that other art isn't obscured.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I will be happy to answer all your questions in detail later today @CyrixInstead. It will have to be after I get off work today, around 6pm Pacific if you are available.

If you have Steam on the same computer, Add Me. We can use that to chat outside of Minecraft.

-Digi
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    I have played single player plenty and I'm OK with having the wiki open and referring to that. I was just wondering how the ICMC server 'works' - where to go get resources and stuff like that. I have to admit I haven't yet got into using redstone or minecarts.

Thanks BobbyDigi, I'll add you in Steam.
    \Edit - added.
    Found this thread from when I originally joined.
    GHoosdum said:

There's a section out in the wilderness past branmyson's castle, where CB built a sandstone base, I built an air castle and a church, CrazyJoe built a big mansion and Zanthian is building a dragon... you're welcome to find an unoccupied island near us and start a base.

Is this still a possibility?
    Basically, @BobbyDigi's policy was that any decent sized chunk of outland space was free game, just post in this thread before hand to make sure everything is okay (see other's posts for examples).
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    That quote is from the old server. Sandstone base is gone, but there is an unfinished hotel outside of town you are welcome to build near. :)
    Ah. Is that why I can't find Grand Central Station? Where do I look, can you be a bit more specific CB?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I've been away too long to be giving directions. Ask Mister Owl.
    RahnalH102Canti
    Cheers
  • You can use the static map (updated daily) to get an idea of where things are: http://minecraft.ardichoke.info

Also, the live map shows where all logged in players are on the map (as well as a live update of the loaded chunks): http://minecraft.ardichoke.info/live
    Sorry I did not get a chance to hop on here yesterday Cyrix. Had a crazy headache and was away from my computer after work. I will be on later today (Join us for TF2) and can get you up to date and find you somewhere to build.

-Digi
    Thanks BobbyDigi.
    What are people using for voice chat? The official server thread says Ventrilo, but there was a recent post that we now use Mumble. What do the Minecraft guys actually use?
    I really need a minecart to get around. What's the best way to get one, other than mine the ore? Does anyone have a few spare ingots I could borrow please?
    It's definitely mumble now. See that thread for instructions and go through the audio wizard before connecting to a server.
    CyrixInstead
    Cheers Tushon
    edited February 2013

Is there a guide anywhere? I have been going through the forum and found a couple of threads for staking a claim to land. Also, I don't have a minecart or any other resources, so do I need to gather some iron to make a minecart of my own? Also, where is the best place to begin gathering materials?

I can provide you with the essentials. I'll setup a chest for you near spawn. Then we will need to find you some land or a plot and you can start collecting resources from there.

There are some pixel art characters in the sea on minecart tracks. Am I allowed to add a character? There seems to be some spare room for it, but I don't know who owns it or if it's out of bounds. I did see a load of wool in a couple of chests near the beginning of the pixel art tour - is this for the community or should I just gather my own? Of course I'd replace any I took if it was for the community.

We would love for you to add to the pixel art :-D I can not speak for the wool you found as I am not aware of any public stashes like that other than in the Skittle Farm. There is the Skittle Farm (wool farm) . There are chests in each of the pens, anything in those chests is open to take or add to at will. See This thread for the pixel art planning. Basically pick a spot on row #2, go ahead and build.

Finally, is there talk of a new server being created in the near future, or am I best beginning my building on the existing server?

There will not be a reset of the server in the foreseeable future.

Ah. Is that why I can't find Grand Central Station? Where do I look, can you be a bit more specific CB?

The big open brick covered lot at spawn was to be Grand Central, part of the larger IC Castle that has yet to come to be.

What are people using for voice chat? The official server thread says Ventrilo, but there was a recent post that we now use Mumble. What do the Minecraft guys actually use?

Yup, Mumble as Tush pointed out. I've yet to get it setup.

Mine on!

-Digi
    BobbyDigi said:

provide you with the essentials. I'll setup a chest for you near spawn.

Forgot to Edit. There is a Chest nest to the fire pit at Spawn for you @CyrixInstead

-Digi
    CyrixInstead
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Use The Warehouse™ and The Library™. They're in town for your convenience. Unless someone Fixed­™ that.