Expo shopping

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited February 2013 in Community
This discussion was created from comments split from: Expo 2013 Sessions & Games.

Comments

• LeahVoiceLeahVoice Hobgoblin of Good Grooming Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Would anyone be interested in an outing to the mall? The Somerset Collection is close by and is ever-so swanky. It's so fancy that they don't even call it a mall; it's a collection!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    :range:

Expo Icrontic: A once-a-year showcase for gaming and the City of Detroit where we barely have enough time to eat.

Somerset Collection: A suburban mall 30+ minutes away full of every national chain that is exactly the same as the one within an hour of every attendee's home.

</3
    ardichoke
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    The Somerset Collection is quite different from Somerset Mall.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

:range:

Expo Icrontic: A once-a-year showcase for gaming and the City of Detroit where we barely have enough time to eat.

Somerset Collection: A suburban mall 30+ minutes away full of every national chain that is exactly the same as the one within an hour of every attendee's home.

</3</p>

That's not fair. Somerset has a lot of things that the average mall doesn't, and not everyone who comes to EPIC is into gaming. Some of us have been trying to put together a shopping trip for ages, and just haven't managed it. Maybe it shouldn't be an official event, but there's no reason to scoff at someone who wants to go.
    AnnesRyanMMkimono54
    edited February 2013
    LeahVoice said:

People always ask me about a shopping trip at Expo

Which is awesome and not what I'm "scoffing" at, and I should've been clearer about that.
    LeahVoice said:

Tiffany's, a free-standing MAC store, Louis Vuitton and Armani Exchange, among others.

If someone suggested McCormick & Schmick for the food tour, Brian would be apoplectic. :p This seems like the shopping equivalent. I'm not saying they're bad stores, or that it's not great they're in metro Detroit, I'm saying I don't see their connection to the goal of the expo. We're not trying to "me too" Detroit, we're showing what's unique here. :) For example, shopping for hats in the past didn't take us to the local Lids or Macy's (do they even sell hats?), they went to Henry The Hatter, a local retail institution.

There's plenty of shopping in Detroit to fill an afternoon and our sponsor Yelp has suggestions of course. If you're specifically looking for a beauty supply store and can't find an appropriate local one (obviously I'm no help here) - maybe you do have to go to the chains. As a wise man once said, "I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed." ;)
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

LeahVoice said:

People always ask me about a shopping trip at Expo

Which is awesome and not what I'm "scoffing" at, and I should've been clearer about that.
    LeahVoice said:

Tiffany's, a free-standing MAC store, Louis Vuitton and Armani Exchange, among others.

If someone suggested McCormick & Schmick for the food tour, Brian would be apoplectic. :p This seems like the shopping equivalent. I'm not saying they're bad stores, or that it's not great they're in metro Detroit, I'm saying I don't see their connection to the goal of the expo. We're not trying to "me too" Detroit, we're showing what's unique here. :) For example, shopping for hats in the past didn't take us to the local Lids or Macy's (do they even sell hats?), they went to Henry The Hatter, a local retail institution.

There's plenty of shopping in Detroit to fill an afternoon and our sponsor Yelp has suggestions of course. If you're specifically looking for a beauty supply store and can't find an appropriate local one (obviously I'm no help here) - maybe you do have to go to the chains. As a wise man once said, "I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed." ;)
    Hats are one thing. Congratulations, you found one of the only vendors of a specialty clothing item in Detroit. Show me where the gaggle of women's fashion stores in Detroit is and I'll show you my unicorn farm.

There is nowhere in Detroit with the quantity and quality of stores in a square mile as there is at Somerset, especially when it comes to women's fashions, but I wouldn't expect a dude to know that. Hell, people went googly-eyed when Somerset was smart enough to operate a pop-up store called Cityloft during the holidays; that's how desperate downtown Detroit is for high-end retail.

Expo never had a problem taking people to restaurants in the Metro Detroit area, so I don't see how Somerset is in some no-man's land. I'm sure you've been to Somerset before to get your fix of unique artisan goodsApple products.
    kimono54
    edited February 2013
    RyanMM said:

women's fashion stores

The suggestion was for a shopping trip. I already conceded that if by "shopping" you meant "a lady-focused trip for beauty products & women's fashion" then yeah, that might be your only option.

I'll ignore the multiple strawmen and jabs.
    ardichoke
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Lincoln said:

shopping for hats ... went to Henry The Hatter

#hats? Yesplease? :D:D:D
    RyanMM said:

I'll show you my unicorn farm.

UPSLynxardichoke
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    RyanMM said:

I'll show you my unicorn farm.

Thank you for the laugh :D
    midga
    @LeahVoice I apologize for being rude in my initial response. If you're interested in coordinating a beauty supply shopping trip as a prelude to your hobby session, we can slate it to run concurrently with golfing on Thurs morning (ends @ 2:30pm).
    midgaThraxJBoogaloo