mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
What you need:
VMWare Player (free)
Ubuntu 12.10 ISO (free)
Steam for Linux (free)
TF2 for Linux (free)

How to do it:
Download both VMWare Player and the Ubuntu ISO image
Configure a new virtual machine - you'll need to allocate at least 4GB RAM and create a minimum 40GB virtual hard drive
Install Ubuntu (take the default options)

Within the virtual machine:
Open a browser and go to http://www.steampowered.com
Click the link to get Steam - it'll download to your Downloads folder
Open your home folder (second icon in the sidebar)
Go to your downloads folder
Double-click the steam_latest.deb icon (Ubuntu Software Center will open)
Click the install button and follow the prompts
Once Steam is installed, log in and download TF2
Start TF2 from Steam

***TF2 WILL FAIL TO START***

Don't worry about this. Close the virtual machine. Open Steam up on your normal gaming system.

Congratulations! You have Tux in your inventory.
BuddyJprimesuspectNiGHTSGuppyCreeperbane2TushonRahnalH102Garg

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Why 40gb? Will Steam refuse to install games without it or something?

I ask because I'm about to install Ubuntu for reals on a 31gb partition and don't want to waste my time.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    The big thing is available space once the drive is partitioned. Ubuntu will create a swap partition equal to the RAM in your system (or assigned to your virtual machine). In my case, the default 20GB virtual drive "lost" 8GB to that partition, and by the time the OS was installed to the remaining 12GB there was about 7GB left. TF2 requires around 10GB on Linux.

Also, for some reason having a secondary drive didn't work for me. I could add it as a library folder in Steam, but TF2 refused to install because the primary location didn't have enough space.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Think it'd be possible to mount the secondary drive as the Steam folder and have Steam be none the wiser?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Gargoyle said:

Think it'd be possible to mount the secondary drive as the Steam folder and have Steam be none the wiser?

I would imagine so. IIRC, the install point is somewhere in your home directory.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    cheaters.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    mertesn said:

The big thing is available space once the drive is partitioned. Ubuntu will create a swap partition equal to the RAM in your system (or assigned to your virtual machine). In my case, the default 20GB virtual drive "lost" 8GB to that partition, and by the time the OS was installed to the remaining 12GB there was about 7GB left. TF2 requires around 10GB on Linux.

Also, for some reason having a secondary drive didn't work for me. I could add it as a library folder in Steam, but TF2 refused to install because the primary location didn't have enough space.

you can tell the install not to make the swap partition. shouldn't be a big deal if all you're doing is getting the tf2 penguin.