Calling all bearded men of Icrontic

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    Yup I know some guys the hot water is better on, I was at the barber shop yesterday talking to my father in law, He has about 10% who use the cold water shave technique because of their sensitive skin the rest are all hot lather and steam towels because either was their skin is not as sensitive as some. To each their own, I know for years after a shave I felt like my face was torn off me, Now I am actually looking forward to shaving every two days, I use to only shave 1 MAYBE 2 times a week because No matter what I did my face was always tore up
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Hmm... I need to try cold water shaving then. My skin sounds much like yours, ultrasensitive. I only shave every 2 or 3 days because of irritation and bleeding, and I always shave with piping hot water. Curious to see how it works out cold.
    the sink should have piping hot water for your razor,, Splash COLD water on your face and make your lather cold. Hot razor + cold hair = Soft as a babys butt without irritation for me. Rinse in between passes with cold water too
    UPSLynx
    If you can when you take a hot shower before you shave and let conditioner sit on your facial hair until your shower is done. then after you get out throw the cold water on your face
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Men of Tha D! This is for you: http://www.facebook.com/CanYouHandlebar
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Funny story. I know the founder of that company.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I saw the post mentioning Woodbridge Pub and thought of you.
    edited February 2013
    UPDATE!

My last two shaves were seriously disappointing! I figured out why tho. I switched from my Synthetic brush to a badger brush. My synthetic brush has been applying facial creams for several years and the badger being new just agitated my skin a lot more. So I went back to the synthetic tonight and that helped. Also I was trying a new type of blade other than my Derbys.

The Personna blade is American made and I wanted to give them a try, My father in law recommended them and he gives hot shaves all day at his shop. It was sharper yes but too sharp that it wasn't comfortable. The blades dried my skin out and was getting nicks without the closeness that I was getting with the Derby blades. After my normal 3 pass shave tonight with the Personna I rinsed and felt my face and was immediately disappointed.

So I lathered up a forth time threw out the Personna blade and threw in a Derby. The blade felt like a old friend and glided over my face and solved my problem. I rinsed off and finally was satisfied. It was a shock that a blade would make Such a HUGE difference. I knw some people do not like the Derby blades but I don't think I will be trying anything else after this trial and nick job my face just went threw.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Hmm... I need to try cold beer shaving then.

#ftfy
    GnomeQueen
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Calling all beard-destroying babies of Icrontic
    le sigh
    JokkeRahnalH102UPSLynx
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Feathers FTW. Pretty sure a razor can never be too sharp.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Anyone else been using Witch Hazel? I'm wondering how others use it.

@GHoosdum and @Zanthian got me a bottle a while back to replace my usual after-shave, and I've been using it since (not the same bottle).

I've been just using it the same way one would use aftershave. The other day, however, I was reading the back of the bottle (I forgot to bring my phone with me into the bathroom) and saw that in the 'instructions', the final step is "rinse". Leaving it on my face hasn't caused me any adverse effects as far as I can tell, but it made me curious if I'm the only one not following the directions.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    CB said:

Anyone else been using Witch Hazel? I'm wondering how others use it.

@GHoosdum and @Zanthian got me a bottle a while back to replace my usual after-shave, and I've been using it since (not the same bottle).

I've been just using it the same way one would use aftershave. The other day, however, I was reading the back of the bottle (I forgot to bring my phone with me into the bathroom) and saw that in the 'instructions', the final step is "rinse". Leaving it on my face hasn't caused me any adverse effects as far as I can tell, but it made me curious if I'm the only one not following the directions.

I wouldn't get too concerned unless you start developing an affinity for gravity-defying brooms.
    Tushon
    I don't use witch hazel. I use Nivea post shave. My skin is too sensitive I have to use a Regenerative lotion. I know people who do and I applaud them!
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    After my barber recommended it, Ive used it for a number of years now as an after-shave sometimes (mostly Dickinson's yellow label products), but mostly an astringent (Dickinson's blue lable bottles). I have never rinsed these products off of my face (nor do they need to be) after use and my skin (with regular use) is always left refreshed and feeling clean. Of course, after I use these products it doesn't hurt to throw on some moisturizer to keep your skin healthy.

What kind are you using?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Dickinson's yellow.

When I ran out the first bottle, I picked up a bottle of the generic brand that the grocer had sitting right next to Dickinson's on the shelf with a "compare ingredients to Dickinson's!" sticker on it, and half the price-tag. I figured they were the same. They were not. I threw that bottle in the trash and went promptly to pick up the real thing.

I didn't know that there was more than one Dickinson's witch hazel, though. Didn't see a blue one in the store. Is it in a different aisle?
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    The yellow label is more for skin care, the blue label is better used as an astringent/first aid purposes. The blue bottle can be found at a local CVS or any drug store really, it should be in the aisle where the facial cleansers are (the oxy-clean, noxema, etc...)

Hope this helps - The blue one on the right is what I use more often. Both are really really good! :)

dickinsonbrands.com/
  • I've never rinsed my face after using witch hazel, either. However, I never actually read the bottle. @CB is a little more observant than I tend to be.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    What is this shaving thing you guys are talking about? I think I could count the number of times I cleared my face of manliness on one hand, and oh how I regret each time...
    JokkeRahnalH102oni_dels
    d3k0y said:

What is this shaving thing you guys are talking about? I think I could count the number of times I cleared my face of manliness on one hand, and oh how I regret each time...

No no, we're talking about facial-hair removal, not wiping our face with a towel. Pro-tip: you should probably wash the "manliness" off your face.
    Pink
    midga said:
    I bought a 100 pack of Derbys a year and a half ago, I've still got 1/4 of them left. Best deal you'll find.

@snarkasm I'm rocking full beard at the moment. I have learned the errors of my ways.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Good boy, Lynxie.
    UPSLynx
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    d3k0y said:

midga said:

d3k0y said:

No no, we're talking about facial-hair removal, not wiping our face with a towel. Pro-tip: you should probably wash the "manliness" off your face.
    I think you are confusing the manliness (the supreme fur of the face), with the manlinaise (mayo that comes from a man)

mertesnardichoke
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    It will be years before I can even consider shaving again. I prefer the trim anyways so it's no loss for me.
    edited May 2013
    So I accidentally left my shaving brush and bowl back in Indiana when I was there over Christmas, just now realized it as I shaved my beard off a week ago. So, in the immortal words of Jimmeh - Upgrade!

I went from Proraso Green (Eucalyptus & Menthol) to the red. I've basically shaved with green since I started classic shaving and had it as my go-to. The red is sandalwood based, and is advertised as being perfect for tackling aggressive, thicker beards.

I was still using my old, cheap Tweezerman badger brush which always did the trick, but as I saw recommendations six pages ago in this thread for the Edwin Jagger badger brush, I ended up going for it as my replacement. It cost twice as much as the Tweezerman did, but it comes with a stand and solid, heavy handle.

The brush seemed much more densely packed at first touch, but it felt way more stiff and scratchy than the soft Tweezerman did. It wasn't until I tried shaving with it that I noticed how much of an improvement the stiffness was over the Tweezerman. Holy cow.

Creating a lather with the EJ brush was FANTASTIC. I doubt moving from Proraso Green to Red had much of an impact, but the brush unquestionably improved the lather. Lather was thick with hardly any air bubbles to be seen, and I made it in about half the time it used to take me with the tweezerman. Since the EJ brush is packed better, the lather stayed in the brush better rather than it spreading out too easily as it did with the Tweezerman.

As for the Proraso Red, I'm really, really happy with it. It smells a little more 'old man' than the green due to the sandalwood, but I really like the scent. The shave itself went great (possibly just due to the better lather of the brush) and I ended up very smooth with only 2 tiny little knicks due to my carelessness. Lingering sandalwood smell is nice, and my skin actually feels much more moisturized and smooth than it did post-shave with the green (I believe I read that the Red has more moisturizer thingies in it. Definitely works).

It was one of the best shaves I've ever had. If you're using a cheap brush as a starter, don't think twice about upgrading brushes. It completely changes the shaving experience.
    Links?
  • brightbright Icrontian
    I've been wet shaving for awhile now. Edwin Jagger De86bl Faux Ebony, Synthetic Brush, Oatmeal & Green Tea shaving soap, alum block, glycerin soap, my nik is sealed (for cuts) and a rose milk aftershave (I have Nivea aftershave too).

I need to try more distilled water shaves because Alaska has hard water which affects shaving. I'm still figuring out what brand of blade works best for me.

Also, clean shave master race.
    UPSLynx