[BLOG] Virus Help

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited October 2015 in Community
These are my go to fixes for most/all viruses, unless there are more specific instructions available (lots of adware has registry keys that need to be removed, for example, and can be found by googling the name of the adware/virus and "removal instructions"). Run the following programs (links are to the download pages) in the exact order posted:
  1. Unchecky Helps keep your system cleaner by default unchecking lots of boxes that are bad (e.g. toolbars and extensions that might be bundled with Flash or other installers)
  2. ccleaner (registry and temp file cleaner, removing all files, defaults are fine, save .reg backup to my docs or somewhere) - you may wish to go in and set some cookies to not be cleaned (e.g. your normal sites, so you don't have to re-login, but you are using a password manager, right?)
  3. HijackThis, save the log file with "-before" at the end of the name, but before the extension.
  4. combofix (instructions, but you just double click through it in regular booted windows)
  5. malwarebytes (install in normal mode, update then full scan)
  6. CCleaner again (both file and registry)
  7. HijackThis, save the log file with "-after" at the end of the name, but before the extension.

Post the logs as attachments to a new thread in the Hardware forum and report back with your results (i.e. it got faster/no popups, or not, or you notice non-standard behavior from the programs, i.e. exiting without reporting results or not running at all). One thing you should keep in mind: only run one A/V / firewall program (i.e. if you have a program that does both, you don't need separate programs for it, or if you have Avast A/V, you don't also need Kaspersky). For internet browsing (more) safely, use either Firefox or Chrome with AdblockPlus installed.
JokkeRahnalH102

Comments

• I run Avast A/V but there is a ddl file the has been corrupted which will not allow me to uninstall it. Any suggestions?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, try installing updated version. Then uninstall old. It might uninstall old version when new version is installed.

If this happened while trying the above, then try uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel. If uninstall appears to fail then restart computer, install new version of Avast.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I don't see Avast anywhere in my instructions, and if you have an infection, it may have corrupted the installer/uninstall process. You can deal with that separately after following the instructions.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

HijackThis doesn't seem to exist at that link any longer, it's just a paid antivirus program. Do you have a new link?

Updated the link and added unchecky to the mix to help prevent unintentional installs.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Tushon said:
    Updated the link and added unchecky to the mix to help prevent unintentional installs.

Which you now need for sourceforge stuff...

Precisely :(