Pre-prohibition cocktails and sours, a study of bartending

2»

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I'm not much of a cocktail drinker personally, but some years ago I walked into a hotel bar, the kinda place you don't drink beer from the can. It was nice and I asked the bartender, "what's your best whiskey drink". He mixed me an Old Fashioned. He just used some Wild Turkey Rye if I remember correctly. Bitter, sweet, with a bit of tang, it was simply divine, best mixed drink I've ever had. I've never tried to mix one of my own, but this thread has inspired me. I will need to go shopping. I only currently have tequila and rum in my liquor cabinet.

Old Fashioneds are my favorite type of drink. Love them to death. Simple to make at home, but with a really high ceiling of complexity. Bourbon, bitters (I prefer Peychauds or Angostura) sugar, and a dash of water is how I typically make them. You can garnish it with orange and REALLY take it up a level. I prefer one large ice cube. All bourbons work, but rye bourbons are exceptional in an old fashioned. I also really dig Buffalo Trace in my old fashioneds.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    BuddyJ said:
    Fernet. I wonder if any liquor stores in Detroit carry that. Don't you mostly find it in the south?

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Also, since being all knocked up I LOVE smelling Eli's bourbon drinks. Makes me feel like pregnancy was the best thing to ever happen to my whiskey aversion. Hoping I come out of this with my formerly favorite liquor back.
    midga
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Annes said:

BuddyJ said:
    Fernet. I wonder if any liquor stores in Detroit carry that. Don't you mostly find it in the south?
    Fernet is really big in the SF Bay area, and yes, you can find it here in many better liquor stores in Detroit. I've purchased bottles of it here myself.

• http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/dining/302crex.html - Hmmmmm..... A Mexican Old Fashioned?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    50/50 gin/vermouth? Wow! That's ballsy. I typically put in just a flash of dry vermouth just for the vapors and a hint of flavor. What does that much vermouth even taste like?
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

50/50 gin/vermouth? Wow! That's ballsy. I typically put in just a flash of dry vermouth just for the vapors and a hint of flavor. What does that much vermouth even taste like?

Alot of vermouth?
    UPSLynx
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Linc, if you don't want to deal with shipping glassware, check out Bed Bath and Beyond. They've got a nice glassware section with simple glasses in all sizes. The one near my house stocks 5oz martini style glasses without frills and they're great. I've bought whiskey snifters there and been really happy with them.

Along those same lines, most of my glassware/bakeware has been purchased from restaurant supply stores....you get essentially wholesale prices and usually a big selection in whatever quantity you need, and reordering for the inevitable broken glass is simple.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    CrazyJoe said:

GHoosdum said:

Alot of vermouth?

To contribute more than that, I expect this craft to be honed by EPIC and that there will some sort of exception for classy drinks. Maybe an afternoon carousal?
    midga
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

@Ryder Ah, yeah, that's a perfect classic martini glass. Bookmarked for a day I have $$ to stock an attic bar. :)

I bought a lot of my Libbey mini-snifters from this site. Rock bottom pricing and reasonable shipping.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/libbey-3771-embassy-5-oz-stem-glass-36-cs/5513771.html

If you don't mind going up a size, BBB has 7.5 ounce Martini glasses for $20/12 (same glasses as these but much cheaper). Add in a 20% gift cert on each one and you're out the door with tax for $50.88 for 36 glasses. If you actually need that many.

7.5 ounce isn't absurdly big, especially for cocktails that are a bit less stiff than a Martini or a Manhattan. Realistically, in a 5 ounce glass you're using 4 ounces of space, and in the 7.5 ounce glass it's about 6.25 ounces.

And seriously @Lincoln, you gotta get to the Oakland in Ferndale and the Sugar House in Detroit STAT. It will raise your expectations for what a cocktail should taste like immensely.

There are half-priced cocktails at the Oakland during happy hour 5-6:30pm every Wednesday - Friday. So if anyone is going to be in town Thursday or Friday, please let me know and we will make an excursion there.
  • So, since the... 'incident'... I have not been able to bring myself to drink gin. I think icsp 2013 might be time to fix that. Current plan is to get a couple kinds of gin and various mixing ingredients and find something that doesn't make me want to switch to drinking paint thinner.
    primesuspectUPSLynxWagsFTW

So, since the... 'incident'... I have not been able to bring myself to drink gin. I think icsp 2013 might be time to fix that. Current plan is to get a couple kinds of gin and various mixing ingredients and find something that doesn't make me want to switch to drinking paint thinner.

Do you know what kind of gin caused "the incident?"
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    RyanMM said:

So, since the... 'incident'... I have not been able to bring myself to drink gin. I think icsp 2013 might be time to fix that. Current plan is to get a couple kinds of gin and various mixing ingredients and find something that doesn't make me want to switch to drinking paint thinner.

New Amsterdam.

RyanMM said:

New Amsterdam.
    Oh. That's unfortunate.

I suggest building a tolerance over the next few years by starting with a couple drops of gin in your cocktail and then upping the dose every other week until you can handle a teaspoon at a time.
  • Nope. Diving in head first for better or worse. For what it's worth, I have had a shot/drink made with gin here or there since. There weren't good, but I didn't instantly die.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

If you pick your vermouth right, it taste like perfection. :ninja:
    JBoogaloomidga
  • Not kidding. Got a local Thrift Store and nothing better to do? Go to your local goodwill and scrounge around a little, you might find some sweet vintage glassware in there for next to nothing.
    midga
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I'm bringing a fifth of Jager, does that count?
    Cliff_Forster
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

Please enlighten me as to what vermouth you've chosen, I want to try it.
    I don't mean to be all cloak & dagger, but I'll discuss my vermouth selection away from Google for now. PM'd.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

Lincoln said:

Please enlighten me as to what vermouth you've chosen, I want to try it.
    Second this question. PM pls?

Well I'll tell you bitches when you get here and we do the tasting :p
    mertesn
    But I'm thirsty NOW
    BobbyDigiUPSLynx
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    MAGIC said:

I'm bringing a fifth of Jager, does that count?

That's my boy!
    Lincoln said:

Will you tell us poor souls that can't come this weekend, so we can at least drink away our sorrows with something delicious?
    JBoogaloo
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    malia said:

Lincoln said:

Will you tell us poor souls that can't come this weekend, so we can at least drink away our sorrows with something delicious?
    Show up or be forever left wondering ;)
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    malia said:

Lincoln said:

I second this.
    mertesn said:

malia said:

Lincoln said:

Show up or be forever left wondering ;)
    Tell that to my boss, pls. Kthx :)
    mertesnTushonJBoogalooRyanFodder
    I'm still confused what problems mentioning vermouth names has for google...
  • I had my first ever glass of Grog last night. I did not know what to expect. Upon my first sip I absolutely fucking loved it! Everything about it! Sorta sweet, sorta spiced, not too heavy, not too light. I must try new things more often..... Grog, sounds gross, but it's actually delicious and it made me feel pretty nice to boot.