Baselworld 2013

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
Baselworld is the largest watch trade show in the world. It is the CES of watches. The E3 of watches. The COMPUTEX of watches. It takes place in Basel, Switzerland. I wish I could have gone. Maybe next year.

Here are some of the more interesting things I've seen come out of Baselworld this year:

Ressence Type 3: Liquid-filled watch.

The aforementioned Jacques Lemans "Miami".

The Jacob & Co "Ghost" GPS multi-timezone

The HYT H2 Hydro Mechanical

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    That first one is gorgeous. Linked article said twenty-three thousand euro. -sigh-
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Holy Hydro Watch Batman, that looks purdy
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue

BuddyJ
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    The Chronoswiss Régulateur 30, a limited edition watch with a stainless steel or 18k rose gold case and a hand-guillochéd sterling silver dial. True to the regulator style, all hands are on an independent geartrain, with digital jumping hours, large minutes and small seconds.

Then there's the iconic Nomos Tangente, one of two watches (along with the Max Bill Junghans) that lead the Bauhaus revival. Nomos is quite famous in Germany, and within watch collector circles, but they're finally making a big push into America. The Tangente is about $2000.

I love a good regulator, so the Glashütte Original Senator Chronometer Regulator also caught my eye. Big dates on regulators aren't common, so Glashütte engineered their all-new 58-04 caliber to do the job. I really like how they arranged the dial of this watch to fit a PR dial and big date. It comes in white gold or red gold.

Glashütte also spent $1,000,000+ on revamped tooling to improved dial production, allowing them to manufacture the simply luscious silver-grainé texture for the Regulator. And, finally, it has been certified by by the German DKD timekeeping body as a chronometer (what that means).

And for pure 100% watch boner action comes the Blancpain Le Brassis Tourbillon Carrousel. It's a $300,000 double tourbillon with a coaxial tourbillon (6 o'clock) and a flying karussel tourbillon (12 o'clock).

I do not like the overall aesthetic of the Chronoswiss Régulateur 30. Can't stand that huge empty dial.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I'm not big on the aesthetic of the Chronoswiss Régulateur 30 either, but dat coin edge face HHNNNNGGGGG

So what's the deal with double tourbillon? Looks sexy as hell, but what exactly is the function? Does it have two balance wheels? An extra escapement? Just for looks?
    Yes, a double tourbillon would have two balance wheels, the oscillations of each perfectly synchronized to keep accurate time. Tourbillon carriages also serve as the second hand on a watch, meaning each tourbillon carriage must always point towards the same position on their respective "dials" -- which they do in the image above.

Multi-carriage and multi-axis tourbillons are the engineering boners of the watch world. It is the ultimate test of a watchmaker's ability.
    UPSLynx
    edited April 2013
    Not a fan of the design at all, but the movement is fascinating.

The Swatch SIstem51
    BuddyJcola
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    That Tudor reminds me of vintage Valjoux 7733 chronos. I love it.

I hope the Sistem51 movement comes in some more subdued designs. I love the concept of the movement.
    edited May 2013
    I didn't like this at first, but now I love it:

The U-42 UNICUM
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That is the best watch. Unf.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I'm usually not into the pre-distressed look, but that one is pretty neat. I'd be interested to know if it's naturally distressed or if that design is printed on.

Also. The U-65 pocketwatch from that same site is vury noice:

If I was still a wearer of belt-loop watches, that would be on my Xmas list, fersure.

lol 'UNICUM'
    Lol belt loop watches
    UPSLynx
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    That thing is amazing, but I can only imagine it's a nightmare to keep it even remotely accurate. Though I'm sure that's not anywhere near the goal.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That Breguet (sp?) around 2:55 ... my jaw dropped.

Cool seeing you guys get named dropped on the end there :D
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Every time I see this thread pass by I think @Basil world. That sounds like a horrifically awesome place.
    UPSLynx
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I was thinking the same thing. Vote Basil create a Youtube show with that name that's just him playing Mech Warrior and drinking every episode.
    midgaPirateNinjaUPSLynx
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Canti said:

I was thinking the same thing. Vote Basil create a Youtube show with that name that's just him playing Mech Warrior and drinking every episode.

Seconded.

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Thirdeded.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Fourthed.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I'd watch that.