Where were you 10 years ago?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
On 26 May 2003, Icrontic.com was wiped off the web at the ripe age of 2 years old. But then a funny thing happened: community trumped digital bits. Where were you when the world rebooted?

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Unfortunately, the Michigan Tech academic calendar doesn't have historical data going back that far.... but I'd wager I was "studying" for exams... and by that I mean I was staring blankly at an open book hoping the information would osmose into my brain.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I was preparing to move from the dirt farm that is Colorado Springs to the wonderful mountain scenery of Oklahoma City.
    midgaprimesuspectpetesmom
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, I was in College and working a full time job in South Florida. When IC went down I felt like the Israelites wandering the desert! I Remember when I finally found the group on AMDmb and It was like entering the promised land again! SM started and then IC rebooted and I was a moderator with Citrixmeta. Sad times but man it has made IC into what it is today!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Beginning college, I guess. It would be another half year, perhaps, before The Baron introduced me to ShortMedia to help with diagnosing a hardware issue. Been here ever since.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    I started here when I was 15/16 because I built a computer and I had no idea what I was doing. I Googled my problems, somehow Icrontic came up I think because there was a light following of the Epox 8kha+ board here. My cpu was overheating, and someone here told me to use thermal paste which saved the day. Three years later the site went down, and I completely lost touch for a while. I barely know what I was doing when I was 18. I was recovering from a car accident and an unrelated serious leg injury. I had a lot of pain killers in me most of the time. I'm pretty sure I was taking a class or two at a local college and between issues with my leg I worked tech support with @bobbydigi. I came back to Icrontic maybe a year or two later when it was short media, and there was Bubz(spelling?) and what seemed like a new group of people but everyone still awesome. Back then my name was gravite2090 until @primesuspect changed it a year or two ago.

I don't miss 10 years ago. I like now. :) You have all made this place amazing over the years. The site has matured with the community. <4
    UPSLynxBobbyDigiCyrixInstead
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I was still living in Detroit working at GameStop in Oakland Mall and was into EVE-Online as a High Counsel member for Everlasting Vendetta.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    May 2003 would have end of freshman year of college high school for me. New opportunities and all that.

EDIT: apparently I need to go back.
    JBoogaloo
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I was in my Junior year of High School. Probably asleep in class cause learning is for nerds.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    It was a monday, so I was probably in class as a "Guitar Aid" and hadn't met anyone associated with this site yet. Little did I know what would happen in 2 years.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I don't remember much because I'd gone home for the summer and was stuck in dial-up land. Gargoyle tipped me off on SM so that's how I found my way back.

http://icrontic.com/discussion/748/good-to-be-home#latest
    UPSLynxprimesuspectpetesmom
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    I was a junior in high school, and I can't remember a whole lot beyond that. I met Primesuspect because of the AMD Opteron release.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    UPSLynxprimesuspect
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    May 2003, I was 4yrs into my enlistment and prepping for another extended overseas deployment 7mos later. I was also planning for my 2004 shore-duty in Bahrain to get the hell out in 05.
  • MomOfRoseMomOfRose Member
    edited May 2013
    Funny, I posted something about my life in 2003 for my 30th birthday. Here's what I put:

•I lived in an apartment in Oceanside, CA
    •I worked at a local beach gift shop
    •I had been married to a Marine - who was in Iraq – for 8 months
    •I was starting to think about maybe having a baby when my husband came home
    •I only had 6 piercings
    •I only had 1 tattoo
    •I still had both kidneys
    •I weighed 125 pounds
    •I had very curly hair down to the middle of my back
    •I went line dancing twice a week
    •I had two cats
    •I drove a 1990 Honda Accord

edit - And I played Sims Online nearly every night from 8PM until the server reset at 2AM as I stayed up in hopes my husband would call from Iraq.

edit edit - in 2010 I was introduced to Icrontic by @ghoosdum's ability to work it into every other sentence (even during Bible study) finally decided to join in 2012 so I could stalk @UPSLynx before we started dating.
    UPSLynxBobbyDigiRahnalH102WagsFTW
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I just finished my first year as a IT support guy... I was so in need of knowledge and Icrontic was one of my sources, favorite really. Icrontic was my daily stop to learn about the newest tech. I only had one child (12 years old) and just moved into our new home... Life was new and exciting and I was learning about how enthralling the Icrontic community and counter the "creepy online" friendship fallacy. Back then having an online friend was like having a pen-pal. Find as long as you never meet them in real life.

Then Icrontic died... and I was lost... then Short-Media rose from the ashes and I was saved.
    UPSLynx
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    I was 9 and just learning how to play AoE2/chess.

Literally can't remember much more than that.
    JBoogalooRahnalH102
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    I was a sophomore in high school, which meant that I was probably studying and doing speech and theater like mad. This time then I would have been prepping for Les Miserables, our high school production, which meant that I'd be delightfully exhausted, hating our director, and being terribly embarrassed by being in the "ladies of the night," scene. I'd never played a video game, and I think we might have still had AOL. :D
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Man, 10 years ago. I was a freshman in college studying photography. I had no idea what to do with my life, I had a much smaller pool of friends, Beyond Good and Evil was brand new and I spent all day posting on the official forums for that game. Also, my gaming PC was a Dell Dimension 8250 and I was proud of it. I was blissfully unaware of this Icrontic/SM thing that would, in just a few short years, manage to COMPLETELY change my life.

My, what a difference 10 years made.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    I was getting ready to go to a Lan party set up by @AuthorityAction and @Park_7677 among other people. I didn't know about Icrontic at the time but AA and Park, aka Ross Clark, definitely did. I wouldn't join Short-Media until my freshman year of college in 2006 but there's always been an important connection between myself, my friends and this place. Eventually when TF2 came out I got to know a lot of you well enough to convince @Canti to take a trip for Icrontic Lan '08 and it's blast ever since.
    UPSLynx
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    Lynx, I completely remember your first night on the IC sever, Ahh the good ole days! I should hop on TF2 its been a good yr or two!
    UPSLynx
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    10 years ago I was 11 years old. Had dial up.

Fast forward 7 years

Found Icrontic through some real life friends, hearing about TF2 with Icrontic inspired me to purchase and install a graphics card and install it in my old ass computer.

I found some of the greatest people in the world and game/chat/pony with y'all errey day.

I go on a yearly pilgrimage to at least one IC event per year now, and enjoy every minute of it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Lynx, I completely remember your first night on the IC sever, Ahh the good ole days! I should hop on TF2 its been a good yr or two!

It's so funny how that day went. I didn't want to join. Server was full, and Hitman was like "dude you gotta play here, the guys on this server are so sweet!" and I was like dude, no, server is full let's find somewhere else. He then said Prime was going to kick somebody so I could get in, and I felt like a total douche, and DEFINITELY didn't want to join. I joined anyways. We talked about you playing medic to look like a ghostbuster. Desu was there, eggroll was there, tbonz was there, keebler, prime, ...so good.