I AM THE MASTER

2»

Comments

• VicarVicar Icrontian
    Congrats and well deserved.
    Hope you get a job asap,
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    West Virginia? You wot m8?
  • Congrats, Jackie. What does "digital archivist" mean, anyway? You are up to date on your google-fu? You pull hard drives from RAID arrays and put them in archive boxes to send to Iron Mountain?

FYI - it is mandatory that you watch We Are Marshall. In fact, it's probably in your new hire orientation packet.
    Tushon
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Yup, West Virginia. Cute little town, though.

Digital archivists do a lot of different things. I will be working to get Marshall's paper collections digitized and placed in an online archival system that allows others to browse the items. I will mostly be doing records management, though-- going through old records and disposing of them, and then creating records retention policies with the different departments around the university.
    GHoosdumWagsFTWmidga
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    I'm so excited for you! We'll definitely have to compare notes when you get started. Time to get your hands dirty and gain some great experience! :)
    GnomeQueen
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Happy to see you get a job in your field, regardless of where it is you hunted til you got one!
    GnomeQueen
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Awesome stuff! Grats Jackie!!! ;):thumbsup:
    GnomeQueen
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    major congrats to you!
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Digital archivists do a lot of different things. I will be working to get Marshall's paper collections digitized and placed in an online archival system that allows others to browse the items. I will mostly be doing records management, though-- going through old records and disposing of them, and then creating records retention policies with the different departments around the university.

Please just tell me it isn't EMC Documentum...
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Jorb got!!!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Electromagnetic Copulation?
    BlueTattoo
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

tl;dr

I can use a scanner and throw papers away!

This job sounds wonderful.
    midgaSignal
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian

What's wrong with EMC Documentum?
    edited December 2013
    WagsFTW said:

What's wrong with EMC Documentum?

On the technical end, it has been a nightmare. It could be (and likely is) our particularly fucked modified version from a vendor, but I've not had fond experience with it.

Also, getting any scanning station working with the workflow of an office (and convincing them to use it) is a nightmare. They're very reluctant to move to a time intensive process when they just file things away naturally in binders.
  • They're very reluctant to move to a time intensive process when they just file things away naturally in binders.

They work for Mitt Romney?
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

They're very reluctant to move to a time intensive process when they just file things women away naturally in binders.

They do now :)
    GHoosdum said:

Hahaha. It's amazing how much power secretaries have on campus.
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

sometimes, it feels like, Brian puts stuff in weird places...

_k
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

It's what I'm best at