Xbox One

ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho KingMadison Heights, MI Icrontian
You all have probably saw the presentation. Maybe laughed at the name. Saw the features this new system has in store.

If you haven't seen the presentation, you can go here and watch the whole thing at xbox.com

What are your thoughts on this next-gen system? Will you get it at launch? Annnnnnnnnnd go.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Like the name. Good move to add Kinect as a basic component. Don't understand the backwards compatibility butthurt. Think Microsoft did a great job expanding the console's capabilities. HDMI input is super interesting.

Uses AMD, fuck yeah.
    midga
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    It's a Windows 8 AMD APU PC with kinect that you hook to your TV. I am interested to see which (PS4/One) gets the better hardware from AMD or will they be almost identical?

I'd buy a Steam™ box before a PS4/Xbox.

Which I wouldn't buy, because you can just build a M-ITX gaming rig with better specs.

KEYBOARD AND MOUSE FO' LIFE!

(what I am happy about with both of these "new" consoles is there shouldn't be anymore shitty Console -> PC ports since everything is x86 now)

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    I'm actually excited about consoles again. I like the design of the One. The 360 refresh never really did it for me. I'm glad to see Kinect actually get the specs it needs to be a viable part of the gaming and multimedia experience. I'm with @Thrax on the backwards compatibility issue. I can't recall ever pulling out an original Xbox title to play in about 3 years. ALWAYS ON DRM BLAH BLAH who cares. I will buy one and use it like Tony Montana used blow.
    pigflipper
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    I'm not really excited about Sportsbox One.

Reserving most of my thoughts about the system until we see actual VIDEO GAMES for this VIDEO GAME SYSTEM in a few weeks at E3. Hardware looks more than capable. Games shown today were poor selections (nothing but yearly re-iterations plus... Remedy whatever it was).

HDMI input is simply for the cable TV stuff, I doubt we'll see much use outside of that. Gonna need to co-op with your cable box to get all that fantasy football and Lebron James goodness. Also, no way in hell the whole user experience is a simple or smooth IRL as they presented today.

I'm anxious for all the E3 hubaloo to end so we can start seeing PS4 and XO games with actual footage, and no definite/possible renders or bullshots.

One thing, though - the actual aesthetic design of the Xbox One is awful. Looks like a frigging VCR.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I am going to reserve my final thoughts on the Xfinity Xbox One till after E3.

The presentation was what I thought it would be but I figured they would show two more titles.

I am interested on hearing what these 15 original IPs will be.

Could careless about backward compatibility.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    I think the fact that this thread has a whole 6 comments before mine says a lot about how much people give a crap.
    ChoochLincmidga
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    Reserving judgment. :)

Though in the last few years, my PC has become my primary gaming device. My XBoxes and PS3s have turned into media devices. However, when I want that big-screen, surround sound goodness, I'll usually grab the game on XBox if it's multi-platform. The Dead Space series, for instance, is one that I enjoyed far more on the console than PC. It also allowed my wife to be able to sit comfortably and watch.

One other big seller for PC is the digital download that's usually half the release price (and usually even less than the $60 console price) within the first month.

I've owned most every console since the NES up to this point, so I'll probably end up owning an XBox One and a PS4.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as @Cyclonite. I'll buy one, because of course...

There will eventually be some Xbox exclusive that I simply have to have, and that will be that.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I bought an Xbox right after they came out with the larger harddrive. Since then I think I may have put 200 hours of play into it, then used it as a DVD player. I am too cheap/lazy to buy/create a wifi connection for it for anything online. Besides, my Wii does pretty much everything it can and is is already connected to the internet.

I doubt I will get around to purchasing another console after I buy a WiiU.
    I'm really lost as to why everyone is calling this an epic fail. It's all over Kotaku and comments of other tech blogs. It's a gaming console that also focuses heavily on media consumption, very similar to the current gen systems. So what am I missing?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    You're missing Internet Entitlement Syndrome where nothing is good enough, no matter what it does, because it's not EXACTLY what each special little angel wants.
    JBoogalooGnomeQueen
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    If you don't think anyone has said "I want more kinect/move," you haven't been paying attention to the financials that guide a company like Microsoft to making the decision they did.

These decisions aren't made without fiscal incentive.
    edited May 2013
    I honestly could care less about yesterday's presentation. I know what they were doing - the games come in 3 weeks at E3 so whatever.

I have beef with the XO because of it's internet phone home requirement (which that have yet to be completely transparent about) especially considering Xbox online connectivity is not free, and the way it deals with borrowed/pre-owned software.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Thrax said:

If you don't think anyone has said "I want more kinect/move," you haven't been paying attention to the financials that guide a company like Microsoft to making the decision they did.

These decisions aren't made without fiscal incentive.

I still find that point somewhat debatable, from their own annual reports:

Fiscal year 2012 compared with fiscal year 2011:
    ...Xbox 360 platform revenue decreased $113 million, due mainly to decreased volumes of Kinect for Xbox 360 sold and lower video game revenue

Though you can make a fair argument that I'm cherry picking - this is comparative to 2010 and 2011's results, where the product sold (amazingly) well. While I agree with bright that I've not heard anyone want it, I don't doubt that people certainly do (and clearly did).

I have mixed reviews on the announcement, though I find the stark contrast of PS4's game-centric announcement compared to MS's media-based one very interesting. I think there's a bit of hubris there, much like Sony's early stance with current gen.

Observations:
    - Feeling of 'we've nothing left to prove for our core audience, lets do something else' - Nintendo Wii-esque going after my girlfriend rather than me, the ability for motion control and voice command is compelling to her
    - Competing, IMO, more with the 'threat' of Apple's fabled settop offerings than Sony's gaming machine
    - Used/rental market dead, which is a shame, but I understand the stance
    - TV space is overdue for disruption: TV subscriptions waning already, I'd bet correlation of xbox owners and those that want want a la carte offerings from cable providers are higher than average, Halo miniseries a la Netflix's House of Cards
    - Continued middle finger to indie gaming
    - "Big Brother" kinect aspects/data mining, presumably continue to shove ads in my face for an online service I've already paid for (also turrible)
    - Constant dodging of always online question, other key points, somewhat annoying

It's weird...the whole thing, but I don't doubt they know something I don't. 360 created/solidified certain aspects that many people couldn't stand to live without today: the idea of content included WITH my gaming machine, achievements, unified friend lists (even cross platform capable), etc.

I believe they're first up in E3, so maybe that'll be more game-heavy as far as announcements go...I also think I remember them saying that this current announcement wouldn't be a gaming related, so why everyone's up in arms is beyond me.

They are first up in regards Monday press day. I will be attending that event.
    edited May 2013
    I don't know of many people who own Kinect and actually -use- it regularly, other than maybe voice command stuff. A lot like the Wii and/or balance board and/or Move - a lot of consumers purchased early on and forgot about them. I don't doubt the younger audience still uses these things enough to warrant inclusion into the new system, though, and the new capabilities do look impressive. I still don't want to wave around to game, but I hope Kinect gets more intelligent usages on the XO.

Also - like the Wii Motion Plus, when you require your customer to own additional hardware to do X, it gets much harder to convince a publisher/developer to spend money making a game to use that feature. Having Kinect as a built-in requirement that every Xbox One owner has means developers don't have to be afraid of it, and hopefully means we'll see creative usage of it in new games.
    Here's a very good read that mirrors almost exactly how I feel about the Xbox One reveal and it's entire presentation:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-22-after-an-awful-start-xbox-one-must-redeem-itself-at-e3

I still don't doubt that E3 will ramp up the hype machine and make most core gamers forget about yesterday, but as of right now the PS4 is the clean winner in early polls and purchase intent.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Some good, some bad. Overall, I like what I see. I'll get one once there is at least 3 exclusive titles that I must have. It's a good general rule of thumb to have.

I think I like the new controller. I can't say for sure until I hold one myself, but it looks like a 360 controller, refined. The D-Pad looks immensely better.

As for the console itself, it looks fine. After all, "box" is in its name. It's sleek, looks just fine nestled along with other media equipment, and hopefully will have decent cooling.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I...I just can't make myself care about the XBox One. I skipped the 360 and my PS3 rarely sees any use. My PC is a better gaming platform - despite the higher cost, I can attain higher resolutions and greater graphical detail. Plus when I'm done gaming I can make it do every last thing that's "new" on the XB1.

As for console exclusives, Halo is the only XBox franchise I can name, but I don't care for it. I'm sure there are others, but meh.

Also I don't really care to have a device sitting in my living room that can "see" and "hear" everything that goes on, even if it's only waiting to hear someone say "XBox On". That just creeps me right the hell out, though I found it rather hilarious how many people complained about their live stream getting interrupted by the XB1 demo.

I have a Wii U and it's been pretty fun, but I just cannot seem to into consoles much right now.
    Don't like Halo? I thought we were all friends @mertesn.... :p
    edited May 2013
    Sonorous said:

Don't like Halo? I thought we were all friends @mertesn.... :p

I hate everyone equally. EvenEspecially the Halobabies :D
    Sonorous
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I bought PS Move because I can't stand playing FPS games with a console controler. I think its awesome that motion tech is being integrated into next gen consoles so I don't have to pay an additional hundred bucks to have it.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I've read some stuff and watched some videos and I've come to my opinion at this point. The new Xbox does all the same things the PC I built 3 years ago does except play games I don't care about and haven't been released yet. I can see how this will be neat for certain people but overall I don't think it really offers anything new. It seems more like it only exists because they had to do something to compete with the WiiU and PS4 somehow. Then again I keep forgetting the WiiU is out and the PS4 seems to have been developed for the same reason the Xbox One has. Maybe I've just completely lost interest in consoles but I can't actually find anything interesting about this.
    I am inclined to agree with you @canti, consoles have lost that WOW factor from my youth, but if you look at the history of consoles, gaming wise, nothing has really changed much. You buy a game and play it with some form of controller. The Wii was really the only console to do something a little bit different by implementing motion based controls. It worked well and was a huge selling point, so huge that MS and Sony had to scramble to come up with systems that delivered a similar experience to their customers and it was awful.

Here is where it gets different. Media. When the current gen pixel boxes came out we were still getting netflix DVDs in the mail and most TV stations didn't offer their line up for streaming online. Apple had started to implement other forms of digital media for purchase online, ie movies and TV, but you could only watch it on your iPod or in iTunes. Fast forward to today. I for one consume a HUGE amount of media via the internet now than I did before. The name alone tells you what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with this new console. "One" is the keyword. It's one place to watch TV, movies, listen to music and play games. PS4 will do just about everything the One will do, but the One will do it better. I'm not sure who develops the apps for the systems, meaning Netflix, or does MS create it? Maybe someone can shed some light on that for us, but I find that the 360's versions of these apps seem to just work better. I can elaborate on that if needed.

So lets talk about games. I'm a PC gamer. I always have been one, and always will. However, certain games just don't play on a PC they way they do on a console. I'll use Final Fantasy as an example. Yes Square could make it for the PC and I could by a controller, but there is just that inexplicable feeling you get when you are 14 hours into the latest FF title, covered in Cheeto dust and dried up spots of Dew, sprawled out on a couch and 45 minutes late for work that you just don't get from a PC. Now the opposite can be said about an FPS or RTS, I don't (read can't) play those on the console minus the few that I know are awful ports for the PC and will be unplayable, ie Dead Space and the like. I don't know if I am just really hopeful the MS doesn't really screw the pooch with this but I for one really like the idea of a one stop system to watch movies, stream music and play some totally killer games, and I think Microsoft has done the research to deliver a great product.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    @MAGIC: I've watched the first 36 minutes of this video.

Someone asked if motion tech worth $100 is integrated, will the price of the console go up $100? I believe if they integrate motion tech into the xbox one, they will charge you for it.
    Sonorous said:

So lets talk about games. I'm a PC gamer. I always have been one, and always will. However, certain games just don't play on a PC they way they do on a console. I'll use Final Fantasy as an example. Yes Square could make it for the PC and I could by a controller, but there is just that inexplicable feeling you get when you are 14 hours into the latest FF title, covered in Cheeto dust and dried up spots of Dew, sprawled out on a couch and 45 minutes late for work that you just don't get from a PC. Now the opposite can be said about an FPS or RTS, I don't (read can't) play those on the console minus the few that I know are awful ports for the PC and will be unplayable, ie Dead Space and the like. I don't know if I am just really hopeful the MS doesn't really screw the pooch with this but I for one really like the idea of a one stop system to watch movies, stream music and play some totally killer games, and I think Microsoft has done the research to deliver a great product.

Looks like someone forgot they can hook a PC up to a TV ;)