Building an open source bridge

Comments

• Straight_ManJohn Danielson II Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Thanks for the summary, Lincoln.
  • I also thank you for the summary, Lincoln. Glue is great! I've used it on a couple of websites and the community loves the forum features and the writers love WordPress for nice article management. I'm still wondering, though, what are the bad points of using the official iFrame method for comments?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

I'm still wondering, though, what are the bad points of using the official iFrame method for comments?

iFrames can have negative search engine effects, increase load time because you're rendering a second web page, and are the ultimate non-semanitc HTML.
    MiracleManSShadowdare
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    It's a nice feeling to share something useful with the world. Mergin Vanilla and Wordpress at any level seems like it would be a pretty large pita. On that note...
    because Glue is an asshole.
    Thanks for sharing some insight in to your open source asshole.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

your open source asshole.

Do they make a cream for that?
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    Great article, I hope your project gains some traction.

I had Wordpress and bbPress integrated on a site once upon a time and it was horrible. If the makers of WP struggle to make it play nice with their own forum software (OK bbPress was WP's ginger-haired cousin), then full credit to your for your endeavor.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    @CyrixInstead I've long maintained that Vanilla plays nicer with WordPress than bbPress, with or without Glue. It comes with a lot of tools out-of-the-box and a special plugin for WordPress that integrate them nicely.

Re: gaining traction - don't say that, the idea of people relying on my hackery terrifies me! :p
    ShadowdareCyrixInstead
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    Well if it's useful then why not? I may well use it next time I have to build a site running forums. I hope the tech support for it is useful ;)
  • Tried glue back when you did the initial launch. Almost had my system working. Then something put me at a standstill and I gave up. Mostly for being a lazy admin and life had more important things.

We're migrating our site in the near future and will be attempting a site overhaul so I'm planning to give glue another shot and see if it works out.

Thanks
    -Nathan