Worth upgrading to Windows 8?

13»

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    You can get normal Skype, you just have to get the "Skype for Desktop". I never use Metro on my desktop, I use it all the time on my surface (which I never use Desktop on).
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Cyclonite said:

the Mumble overlay causes Starcraft 2 to crash. And that's a fix that needs to be made on Mumble. I just disable the overlay and it works fine. This goes back to the software dev needing to update their software. Not Microsoft.

This was happening to me on any game that had a launcher. League of Legends, Tribes, Blizzard games, etc. I'm still on 7.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    sounds like the reviews are pretty mixed. maybe i'll give it a try on my next build and see how i like it.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

This was happening to me on any game that had a launcher. League of Legends, Tribes, Blizzard games, etc. I'm still on 7.

Oh, good to know. Then that takes me back to having pretty much zero issue with Windows 8. :)
  • Windows 8 has been running fantastic for me so far. I don't use any of the Metro apps and I use the start menu replacement StartIsBack. Boot-up time is noticeably faster as well. The way I have it set up, it provides a similar experience as Windows 7 does, but with some new features, like the improved task manager; however, the task manager takes forever to open up for some reason when I use the keyboard shortcut. I have the latest version of Skype installed without any problems, but I use the desktop version instead of the Metro app for it.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Pac Man Championship Edition DX is literally the only reason I have interest in upgrading to Windows 8 someday.

SERIOUSLY LOOK AT THIS INCREDIBLE FEVER DREAM:
    Creeperbane2Shadowdare
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    Took the jump found win 8 gave a better user experience on tablet.
    It's great.
    BobbyDigi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Rumor has it that Blue (Win8 SP1) will bring back the Start Button.

:facepalm:

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Used it for a bit when I set my sister's new computer for it. Still hate Metro. Found it to be usable once I installed Classic Shell and bypassed the UI formerly known as Metro. Still like Windows 7 better though and won't be going out of my way to upgrade anything I own (in fact, I'll probably just stick with my retail Win7 Ultimate license on my desktop next time I replace it and get something specifically to run Linux only next time I buy a laptop).
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    It came pre-installed on my laptop. I spent the first five minutes cursing it (moving the mouse to the edge of the screen to do things) so I fired up the Dell Windows 8 Introductory Help video and after watching that have never looked back. I can see how it would be better with a touch interface and I'm willing to look past that simply because it doesn't cause me any workflow interruption.

I was happily surprised that I get access to loads of free music on the the music app with my XBox Live account, The weather app is great, as is the news app. I love the interface with all of these.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Microsoft admits Windows 8 sucks with a mouse and keyboard
    As such we’ve focused on a number of improvements to ensure easier navigation for people using a mouse and keyboard.
    edited May 2013
    I hate your spin, Mr. Thaxbert, with the heat of 1000 suns. :rarr:

I suggest users of or those interested in Windows 8 read the article with an open mind. Some of the new features are exciting to see. The least of which, in my opinion, are the mouse gesture updates. Admittedly some of these changes should have been in initial release, but they are coming.

They word it oddly but for those interested, the start button is back:
    We’ve improved the way you navigate to Start with the mouse by changing the Start “tip” to be the familiar Windows logo. The new tip appears anytime you move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen, and is always visible on the taskbar when on the desktop.
    -Digi
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Shit. I don't want that stupid button back. I'm smart enough to know where the corner of my screen is without a big dumb logo there, and my bar is full enough as it is.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    CB said:

Shit. I don't want that stupid button back. I'm smart enough to know where the corner of my screen is without a big dumb logo there, and my bar is full enough as it is.

You aren't Microsoft's target audience. People who don't want to poke around trying to figure things out are.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Just got a new Dell.....damn you 8 you have a new convert

A year and a half later:

At its Build 2014 conference, Microsoft has revealed that a future update to Windows 8.1 will resurrect the Start menu.

Couldn't find an official MS source. Quote Source

-Digi

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Well, there ARE windows 8 apps that give you a start menu back, though Windows 8.1 has a limited start menu for config-- right click the window icon that appears when you approach the lower left hand corner of the desktop....

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian

I want my desktop to be a desktop again.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Classic Start 8-- enough said. Works on Win 8 and Win8.1. Free right now, from Crawler, LLC, the publishers of it.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I hope I don't have to do the same kind of bullshit to get this update.