Oculus Rift: Good news and bad news

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I think they're working on handling 3D movies, so...
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    I will definitely be getting me one of these for Christmas! I'm just hoping it's possible to play sitting on my ass on the settee.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    I don't see this as anything more than a gaming peripheral. Because of that, I can't understand the argument that my mother needs to buy this product for it to be successful

Do I need a gaming mouse? Do I need a gaming keyboard? Everything with blue flashing LED lights that add 10 extra horsepower to my gaming experience?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    This is what what you think I will look like this Christmas:

This is what I will actually look like this Christmas:

Yes, my dreams of one day becoming an equine goddess and riding a mechanical dolphin on the moon will soon come to fruition.
    midgaUPSLynxcola
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

Yes, my dreams of one day becoming an equine goddess and riding a mechanical dolphin on the moon will soon come to fruition.
    Because anyone can become a princess now if they have friends and read books.
    mertesnUPSLynxRahnalH102
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/skyrim-modded-to-support-oculus-rift

Skyrim Modded to Support Oculus Rift

I would want to try this.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    Going back and reading this Cliff, I really can't agree with some of the arguments made. As previously mentioned, the comparison with the Virtual Boy was somewhat misplaced; the Hindenburg comparison hit the nail on the head.

I agree that it will be hard to market, as Nintendo are experiencing with the 3DS (how do you market a 3D product on a 2D TV/magazine?) but would like to hope that word of mouth plays an important part here.

My biggest issue is with the assertion that only one gamer you know endorses 3D gaming. I think that misses the point here and I get the feeling that this will be a little bit like things were when smartphones came along. People thought they didn't need one until they actually used one, and now most people probably feel they can't live without it. I'm not saying it's going to become as commonplace as the smartphone, that would be silly, but I would like to think (hope) that once this is available to the masses you'll find the number of supporters increases considerably?

Admittedly I've not tried it, but I just get the feeling that it's going to blow minds when it arrives. Well, I'm hoping so :)
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

like to hope that word of mouth plays an important part here.

Going slightly (mostly) off topic here, but this is something I actually would like to see for HL3. Don't advertise it at all, just list it up on Steam in the "New Releases" section and see how long it takes for it to blow up once a few notice and then spread the word.

On Topic: I don't have much to say on this at the moment, but for the sake of your discussion (Forgive me if it was already mentioned somewhere, I admit I skimmed most of this, hence why I don't' have much to say on it) would the stereoscopic setting that some cards have now lend to the discussion at all? That feature has or is becoming sort of baseline, but not in a "everyone uses and wants this" sort of way. It is peripheral based but not as expensive compared to the Rift would be ( at first at least.)

Not ragging on anyone or anything, just wondering if that merits anything to this discussion on it's projected success.
    I don't believe so. Stereoscopic 3D uses the entire display to create each left/right image. The Rift uses half the display for each eye.
  • I think I was misunderstood in prior comments. I did not mean to compare the experience on the rift to stereoscopic 3D in a technical sense. I meant to compare them as fringe technologies that will do little to change mainstream gaming.
  • I dearly love stereo' displays so i'm praying Oculus succeeds . But i agree with other respondents who say that very few will buy anything bulky you have to wear. [limits use to ones room, and is hot and sweaty]
    The other big gaps are NON-GAMERS content, and 1080p rez.
    So for now, a lot of us non-gamers are rooting for Oculus, but not buying...
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    "The suspects were taken into custody. Police say all are gang members on probation, with outstanding warrants for their arrest."

Fucking senseless and terrible.
    Totally agree with you there @Canti.

My dev kit arrived. I'm going to bring a demo system to Expo.
    BobbyDigi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    mertesn said:

Did you get a hat code?

-Digi
    UPSLynx
    No. I should see about that.
    BobbyDigi said:

mertesn said:

Did you get a hat code?

-Digi
    mertesn said:

No. I should see about that.

Got the instructions to get my hat. I'll probably get around to that this evening after work.
  • How did the demo go at Expo? Many get to try it? What does everyone think?
    Not many got to try it. Had an emergency come up and I had to leave early :/
  • kimono54kimono54 Fort Wayne, IN Icrontian
    Hope all is well, Nick.
  • I'm sorry to hear that Nick, hope everything is fine now.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    ...dammit. Wouldn't embed a video I wanted.

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/
    They have dev kit 2 on preorder for $350:
    Do Want...

edited March 2014

@Zanthian said:
    https://www.oculusvr.com/order/
    They have dev kit 2 on preorder for $350:
    Do Want...

Did order. Unfortunately they aren't shipping until July, so probably no new dev kit for Expo.

In the days leading up to Expo I played the most immersive and environmentally isolated game of TF2 that could have been played at the time. Using the (original) dev kit and some headphones I spent nearly an hour in the game. Didn't have a single problem while playing and I adapted almost immediately. Once I removed the Rift it became a different story. It actually took about 15 minutes to get my eyes adjusted back to normal use. Hopefully the new HD OLED display allows a quicker transition back to IRL.

I haven't been able to check one out yet. Are they as impressive as all the reaction videos seem to make them?

Pretty much. I'll bring my dev kit again this year.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Only thing keeping me from ordering right now is that they're still promising that the end-user kit will be even higher res.