Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Somebody is selling The Runwell (Shinola) for a minimum of $5,000 on eBay. Holy shit. $10k buy-it-now. If this thing sells for even 5 grand, damn...
    Was somebody looking for a watch like this? It's the same case as the ESS "Winner" I bought for @TheRedburn, but different hands/dial. Same movement too:

BTW: I got my second Jaragar—the replacement that the seller sent to me to make up for the defective first one.

It was also defective. Parts rattling around inside. Sounded like a miniature baby rattle. Garbage.
  • I bought that watch a couple months back. I can't wear it as it irritates my skin. If someone wanted one I'd be more than happy to sell it.
  • @thrax thanks for the reply. I want a wristwatch that will be something i might be able to pass on to my kids. I dont mind spending all of the 1000 or a little bit more i just dont know what brands of watch are ones to buy, and which to stay away from. Most of the watches i like, omega speedmaster and tag heur, are way out of the price range. Is there anything that is similar but a bit cheaper?
    It sold for $5000. Now I REALLY regret not buying one.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    @Fletch:

My recommendation to you would be to buy a watch from Christopher Ward. They have a great number of watches that come in well under your budget, and they're quickly gaining a reputation for producing meticulous and reliable watches at those unbelievable prices. They call themselves the "the cheapest most expensive watches in the world," and they've worked very hard to cultivate a sterling reputation for exactly that: Swiss quality and reliability on a penny (relatively speaking). The C9 Harrison is the watch I would buy were I to run out and buy a Chr. Ward model.

So, presuming you find something that you like from Christopher Ward, you have the big choice of going mechanical or quartz.

A quartz watch will be ultra-durable and, with the occasional battery change, last you well into the lifetime of your offspring if the watch is well cared for. Quartz watches are just impressively reliable.

A mechanical watch has that certain "something" that makes them irresistibly charming. It's the motion of the gears, the oscillation of the balance wheel... this perfect mechanical concert all possessed with telling accurate time by the power of a spring and the engineering prowess of a talented watchmaker. This beauty is why I only own mechanical watches, but they're not for everyone. Every 7-10 years, you should probably take them in for regular maintenance. This includes disassembly, cleaning, oiling, reassembly and the like. Because Ward uses Swiss mechanical movements, damn near any competent watchsmith/watchmaker will have the ability to do this maintenance and/or find replacement parts should it break on you. But, still, mechanical movements do present certain challenges that go along with a mechanically intricate instrument.

And there are a few brands you should also consider:

Orient, a Japanese watchmaker that acquired intellectual property from Seiko more than 50 years ago. As an aside, Seiko continues to own a minority stake in the company, which is a fantastic thing as Seiko mechanical movements are widely reputed to be real workhorses. Anyhow: with quartz and mechanical movements in their collection, Orient has spent the last 50 years making new movements or refining what they acquired from Seiko (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). The quality is top-notch, and many of their high-end watches were individually crafted by hand. Even the ones assembled by a machine are still built like a tank! It's extremely hard to go wrong with an Orient, and they have such a diverse selection. Currently I own three Orient watches: the Cosmos, Esteem and Symphony.

And I'd be remiss if I also didn't mention Hamilton. Hamilton is an American company with a prestigious history in watches that, like Christopher Ward, uses Swiss movements to power all of their watches. In fact, the Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer is one of the watches I'd very much like to own one day. The Hamilton Jazzmaster collection is also reliably featured at the top of many top-10 lists for classic, must-have watches.

And, lastly, I am first and foremost a collector of Chinese watches. China has a long and relatively obscure history with watchmaking that includes massive government projects to found the country's first domestic watch factories, all of whom went on to produce the "Tongji" movement that can easily run for 60 years without a lick of maintenance. Watchmaking and timekeeping was a critical element of China's modernization during the cultural revolution, as the Communist party worked to get such a massive nation with billions of agrarian people running on a common schedule.

Regardless of your opinion on Chairman Mao and his many... uh... shames, Swiss prestige and China's geopolitical distance from the western world has stunted publicity for their skill and kept the pricetags low. In truth, the Chinese have independently designed and manufactured every watchmaking innovation developed by the Swiss or Germans, and did so without reverse-engineering or copying an existing design. They just did it 30-100 years behind the curve, depending on the innovation, but the gap is closing every day.

With all that said, three Chinese factories have emerged as the leaders: Tianjin Sea-Gull, Beijing Watch Factory, and Shanghai Watch Factory. These are my favorites:

The Beijing Beihai (individually hand-crafted, 2008 units worldwide to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Beijing Watch Factory)

The Beijing ZunDa (also available in black dial)

The Shanghai S506

The Sea-Gull M171S

I hope one of these esteemed manufacturers will provide you with a watch that you and your children will be happy with in the years to come. A great watch says so much about a man and what he stands for in so many respects, and I don't think anybody should be without something beautiful and reliable in their hands!
    The second Jaragar came back to me, fixed by Stefan.

The center screw holding down the rotor was loose, and the hands were catching on each other.

Seriously, the QC on these things is garbage.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    A cool thing that you can buy if you've got a lot of disposable income:
    http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-carrera-spacex-1887/
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    My current timepiece is a tag-heuer Kirium F1

It's digital functions takes me back to the 80's when Japanese digital watches with rubber straps were the vogue for any kid old enough to tell time. Thankfully I outgrew those ages ago and have worn chronographs for years. I tend to wear a watch until it literally falls off my wrist from old age.

Anyways I just love the plain simplistic look of this Tag and its pure elegance that fits with any occasion. The only part of the digital display I use now is the date.

I usually buy things because I like the look of them but I'm told this watch keeps pretty good time ;)
    Garg
    Our owner is fascinated with Devon Works and the Tread. Today I posted the first non-Shinola watch on our Facebook page, and it was this: The Tread 2 "Murder"

• WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    That is one cool watch! Where do I get me one of those?
    edited May 2013
    http://devonworks.com

The Tread 1 is $17,000
    The Tread 2 (shown) is $10,000
    The Tread Steampunk is $25,000
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    aka none of us are getting one :/
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Spotted this one today, while looking at unrelated things. It's a nice simple design, and very functional. Also: Not particularly expensive.
    Michael Kors Black Ion Chronograph
    I like that quite a bit. I like the muted highlights.
    Be sure to check Fossil and Relic for similar designs, because all three brands are made in the same factory, and you could potentially save a ton of money!`
    BMS™

This is my favorite version of The Runwell. Matte Black so hawt
    UPSLynxBuddyJmidga
    I like that one a lot, especially on the lighter band.
  • @cannonfodder and other skeleton lovers might find these interesting:

http://www.jacksontse.com/new/product-page.php?product_id=425
    http://www.jacksontse.com/new/product-page.php?product_id=430

I was tempted myself (very), but I think I'm going to go with something a bit more simple this time. Probably on of these two:

http://www.jacksontse.com/new/product-page.php?product_id=442
    http://www.jacksontse.com/new/product-page.php?product_id=432

Leaning towards the second for now.
    UPSLynx
    edited June 2013

BMS™

We're selling a limited quantity now. Wanted to give the jump to you guys before anyone else. We haven't announced this publicly yet.

Also, if you do get one, please buy the blue 47mm as I have a bet going against our e-comm manager and he's smug if he wins. image
    UPSLynx
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Not to dissuade @primesuspect but that Black face with the black band is hotness on the 47mm
    ardichoke
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

A solid replacement for my previous Skagen purchases
    HumerusMegmidga
    One of my favorites in my collection. Super versatile.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I was quite envious of yours after seeing it at ICOK/ICNY/whenever it was.
    He won. The white one already most sold out. Jerk.
    midga
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    @primesuspect tell them to make the orange face/black band one in 47mm and I'll be all over it

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches/therunwell40-leather-watch-s0123.html
    All sold out. Hot damn.
    UPSLynxZanthian
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    Wow. If you are selling out $600 quartzes, all I can say is wow. Good for you guys!
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    It was 'go sign a huge mortgage so I can be in debt the rest of my natural life' day, so I broke out the Cocktail Time (JDM Seiko SARB065) and my pretentious pen (Cutter & Buck, nothing special but is a big heavy beast).
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/keto/Watches/IMG_0553.jpg

It's actually hard to capture well the compexities and subtleties of the dial of this watch.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/keto/Watches/IMG_0552.jpg

Dammit 3 edits later and I still can't make the pics show up in the thread.