Google is Killing Google Reader!

13»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    @CB: After a week or two with TheOldReader, I'd say your experiences were just high server load on their end. The service has been behaving as I'd expect lately, which is to say exactly like Reader does.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    NANANANANA GOOGLE READER ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE SHHHH NANANAN
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2013

NANANANANA GOOGLE READER ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE SHHHH NANANAN

wut
    edited May 2013
    A new clone of Google Reader, called Commafeed. Functions just like reader at the time shutdown was announced: http://www.commafeed.com/

It's currently a little slow as it gets slaughtered by Reddit.
    PirateNinja
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Anyone with access to web hosting (or who has a good home connection and can set up a LAMP stack on some piece of hardware at home) should really check out Tiny Tiny RSS. I've been loving it even more than Google Reader.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Yeah i keep meaning to set up tiny tiny rss, but I have been busy. Glad to hear you like it. Need to make time to try it out.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I have yet to find a replacement I'm happy with. As far as I can tell, Feedly is just interfacing with my Google reader account, so it will go offline when reader does. I was using The Old Reader for a while, but then I noticed that everything was getting to my feed 2-12 hours late, which I couldn't. Those are the only two which had the features I needed otherwise.

For now, I'm back on gReader. :/
    edited May 2013
    CB said:

I have yet to find a replacement I'm happy with. As far as I can tell, Feedly is just interfacing with my Google reader account, so it will go offline when reader does. I was using The Old Reader for a while, but then I noticed that everything was getting to my feed 2-12 hours late, which I couldn't. Those are the only two which had the features I needed otherwise.

For now, I'm back on gReader. :/

Feedly is currently interfacing with gReader but will (according to them) be importing the actual feeds and transitioning them to their own storage before the gReader cutoff date. They claim they will do this seamlessly, we will see.

If you feel like trying Tiny Tiny RSS, shoot me an Icrontic PM, I'll set you up an account on my tt-rss install. No admin skills necessary, just login and import your feeds from a Google Takeout dump.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    Thanks for the tip on Comma Feed and Tiny Tiny RSS. Both sound promising. Look forward to hearing more suggestions.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    So, I tried Commafeed and TheOldReader. I also tried to setup Tiny Tiny RSS and couldn't get it to run. (I lacked the patience to look through the code and find out why.) In the end, I signed up for Newsblur's premium account. I'm quite happy with it... until the next big thing comes along.

Just wanted to share my two cents.
    Yeah this is approaching like a freight train and I am still pretending it isn't going away. I haven't found anything that works like what I want. I guess i kept hoping google would change their minds before the deadline.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    Zanthian said:

Yeah this is approaching like a freight train and I am still pretending it isn't going away. I haven't found anything that works like what I want. I guess i kept hoping google would change their minds before the deadline.

^This. I did try both Feedly and CommaFeed, and was a fan of neither, so went back to hiding my head in the sand. Suppose I need to stop that.
    I'm now exclusively using CommaFeed. It's a straight clone of Reader, and that's exactly what I was looking for.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    @Thrax I guess my real problem w/ CommaFeed was the import itself, which was shitty, and I really didn't want to go through and figure out ALL of the feeds I lost of the 100 or so I subscribe to. It also DID import all of the stuff I'd already read as unread, even for feeds that are no longer active or had an updated URL, and having to go through that backlog sounded too daunting so I gave up. Does this make me a slacker and lazy, absolutely, but this is not something I want to spend hours re-curating :/
    The import was sketchy at first, but now works fine after they upgraded server capacity and the bumrush to other services has slowed.
    Still in love with tt-rss here... especially the fact that I'm not tying myself to yet another company that could pull the rug out from under me. It can also be tweaked to work just like Google Reader (even has a plugin that changes the keyboard shortcuts to match Google Reader, though I've found the defaults are more usable once you get used to them).

I'm still willing to set any Icrontian up with a tt-rss account on my install if they want it.
    AOL just released their RSS reader today, and it's a fantastic clone of GReader with many features of its own. The killer about this one is that they actually have a mobile app, which none of the other solutions in this thread can offer.

I'm sticking with this one.
    Annes
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Oh God, we've come full circle. Soon they'll be sending out CDs of their RSS app that we can use as coasters!
    primesuspect
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Thrax said:

AOL just released their RSS reader today, and it's a fantastic clone of GReader with many features of its own. The killer about this one is that they actually have a mobile app, which none of the other solutions in this thread can offer.

I'm sticking with this one.

@Marushka might be interested in this
    Feedly added a cloud reader and it was very easy to transition to. I think i will be using this one for the near term.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    So...thought this was neat: http://www.goread.io/

Hosting your own: https://github.com/mjibson/goread