BobbyDigi's TF2 advice, price check, item hunt and general question thread

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Flare - 3.5-4 Refined

Jack - 2 Reclaimed

Shotty - 4 Refined

Degreaser - 2keys (possibly up to a reclaimed more)

Other than the Jack these are all mid-high demand stranges not in current crates, explaining the prices.

-Digi
  • brightbright Icrontian
    Thanks a lot! I'll bide my time for crates with them and strange parts.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    How much is a Jumper's Jeepcap and/or a strange Liberty Launcher?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    So I got a Mann Co. Painting Set out of my last crate and I wonder would it be better to try and sell it as is, or open it and see what paints I get then act. I could always use more green after all ....
    Looks like a gamble. If you are up for the gamble, why not? :-D There are a few paints in there that if you get them and sell them you could get as much as the set is worth (3-4 ref from my understanding).

-Digi
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I rolled the dice and got ... double Peculiarly Drab Tincture. I don't particularly care for em.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    How much are Backpack Expanders worth? I stocked up on them since they are only $0.99 right now.
    Last I looked into them they were 3 keys but that was before the key price boom that recently show keys from 3 refined to 5+ refined. It is hard to say what people will pay for it during the same. About 3 refined is about the equivalent of $1 on the black market so I would guess it will level out at just above that. Then after the sale it will slowly go back up to a level around their normal price.

I will by picking up some myself to max out my backpack. Open space, sweet open space.

-Digi
    I think I just got ripped off pretty bad (not the first time either). After a pint, I almost start just giving things away. This trade didn't seem right though. I just wanted to know how bad I got screwed.

I just traded:
    12 robokeys
    20 backpack expanders
    2 decal tools
    Strange Part: Robots Destroyed
    Strange Part: Sappers Destroyed
    Strange Part: Critical Kills
    Strange Part: Gib Kills
    Strange Part: Long-Distance Kills
    Strange Part: Tanks Destroyed

for

17 crates
    Voodoo-Cursed Scout Soul
    Voodoo-Cursed Pyro Soul
    Voodoo-Cursed Demo Soul
    Honcho's Headgear (dirty)
    Counterfeit Billycock
    Frontier Flyboy
    Buzz Killer
    Legend of Bugfoot
    Backward's Ballcap
    Plumber's Pipe
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how to say this lightly Guppy so I'll be blunt. Depending on the series of crates there, you would be lucky to get a key worth of metal out of what you traded for. In $ terms, you traded $50+ for about $2.

I'm sorry this happened dude :(

-Digi
    Wow, that sucks. I usually give people a bit more for items than they're worth, but that's more than I was willing to lose. Live and learn, I guess.

There were also 10 paints I traded that I forgot to add to my list.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Were you drunk, doing trades, lurking facebook, and watching MLPFM?
    Do you still have the guy on your friends list?

You could try re-adding him and attempt to discuss what happened. There is a chance he will understand and possibly give you some of your stuff back.

Do you have the text of your conversation saved at all? If it looks like he was purposely trying to take advantage then we can look into having his account marked to minimize him being able to do it again.

-Digi
    I've still got the person on my friends list. I don't really have any conversation saved. The same thing happened about a week ago where he bought all of my backpack expanders(10-15, I think) and keys(5-10) for like 20 scrap, a vintage stockbroker's scarf, and a few other items I can't remember, but weren't really worth much. At the time I thought maybe it was actually a fair trade since I don't know much about item values.

I know I was just being taken advantage of, but it's really my own fault. I should know better than to trade when I'm drinking. I think I'm just going to cut my losses and remember this every time I'm about to make a trade.
    _k_ said:

Were you drunk, doing trades, lurking facebook, and watching MLPFM?

The first 3 and looking at MLP t-shirts.

Hats, Many Hats at 1.3 refined each!

I've paid the minimal fee to be able to trade with Scrap.tf bots meaning I can buy any of the hats in their inventory for 1.3 refined. If there are any hats you are interested in, take a look at the bots below. If a hat you are interested in is listed, let me know and we'll try to grab it for ya.

8, 9, 11, 19, 20, 21

-Digi
    trooster89
    edited June 2013
    Once I get a spare reclaimed to spend on the access then I'll take a look at the lists.
    Pretty sure you can view the lists without paying. Try logging into steam through scrap.tf and you should be able to see the lists without paying. Then if there are any you are interested in, I am happy to pick them up for you so you do not have to pay the reclaimed fee.

-Digi
    I was asked by a community member what the TF2 cards are worth and I figured I would share my answer with everyone in case anyone else is wondering as they randomly pop into your inventory...

They are used for e-peen. Currently if you get a set from a particular game you can craft them into a badge and get a random item like a emoticon or background to be used in the Steam Community. Any future sets that you craft level that badge up. That is pretty much it. There are Foil versions but I do not know the details of those or if they even made it out of the Beta. Each card from TF2 is equal in value so any 1:1 TF2 card trades are even. I have not looked into the other games cards but none of them stand out as being rare or much value so far.

-Digi
    trooster89
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    Is there a good place to check the prices on the new killstreak stuff?
    Nope. Was just price checking some of mine. The best advice I can give is check the Steam Community Market for your fabs. If they are listed for 6 cents... basically trash unless it is a wep you really like to play with. If it is upwards of $5 or more (there are some in the $80-$100+ range) then you have a more popular one.

It really doesn't seem there are any rare ones, right now is basically demand for popular weps (Rocket, Grenade, Scatter, Mini, ect...) is way higher then the supply. Every other wep is the exact opposite.

2 examples I can give you; I found a Specialized Maul Kit and picked it up for 2 refined. Then had some fun crafting away. 100% worth it to me because I <3 my Maul. I just sold a Specialized Caber Kit for about 4.33 Refined.

If you look those two weapons up you will see both kits are only 6-8 cents on the market. The market for these things are currently all over the place though.

-Digi
    trooster89
    Oh thanks! I'll have to check that out.
    I just accidentally logged into my storage account...

100+ Spells
    25 Voodoo parts
    10+ Piles of curses

All gone in a flash.

Fuck.

Luckily they recently patched so that older crates don't disappear. Still hurts.

-Digi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Just awful man.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Just out of curiosity, what was the point of having things that you knew would disappear like that if you ever logged into the account?
    2 reasons: One of everything collection and Just in case.

In case what? Well, until the recent Halloween update, the spells were still able to be applied. The ones that made your hat change colors would sell for between 3 and 15+ keys. I traded for 2 of my unusuals with keys from those. I've sold a couple of the piles but not for very much. Most of those were just for the collector in me.

They only recently changed it so the crates wouldn't go away. The original Naughty crates sell for $8+. Others even more.

When they made the Halloween spells untradeable, I figured I would hang on to them just in case they became usable next Halloween.

While I lost maybe 30+ keys worth of stuff, the hit to the collection is what bugs me most.

-Digi
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    I see, that sucks. How were you able to trade things to/from the account without logging into it?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Got a pricing question for ya, Digi! Good buddy of mine snagged an unusual Large Luchadore hat (style is "El Macho"), which those seem to vary in price on the market based on the effect (as you would expect). His effect is "Something Burning This Way Comes" which is a Halloween 2013 effect, and it looks like a bat with orange flames (like this one).

If he were to cash in, based on your experience and best guess, how much do you think it will realistically fetch? Also, have any tips on selling unusuals to maximize profit potential? I'm assuming he's not really interested in trading for other TF2 goodies and would rather just fatten his Steam Wallet.
    No idea. I am really bad at unusual pricing. Your friend's best bet would be to go down through the current listings and see if there are any others with that effect and then undercut them. If no others are listed find others with similar Halloween effects (there are a couple different color bat effects) and then undercut them. Unless he lists it very cheap, it will possibly take a while to sell.

-Digi
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Hey, it helps. Thanks for your honest answer, Digi. =)
    @bobbydigi Any chance you can score me a s. holiday punch? I'm having trouble finding one for 2 keys (or less).